Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LAST DAY! ?THE TCM Programming Challenge: Take 5? with PRIZES

The database search is the only real way I can think of, kubrick. But with having the chance to put in five premieres, they should cover you.

Plus, remember you have all of Columbia, MGM, Rank, Monogram, and RKO, plus Disney live-action, WB (pre 1950), and UA (post 1950). None of those do you have to check. That's thousands of movies.

I almost have my schedule comoletly figured out and I should be posting it pretty soon, I still need to find out about time restrictions for each film because some of them may be too long to fit into the schedule so it may not be today or next week but pretty soon though.

I've chosen June 17-23...which includes Father's Day and the first day of summer.

Here's my promo...

We see a hot air balloon floating over a big city. The song playing over is "Let's Go Away For Awhile" by The Beach Boys. (From "Pet Sounds.")

A blonde, tan young man in '50's bathing trunks (Troy Donahue-type) is in the balloon.

The balloon passes a large billboard labeled Around The World. We see movie clips on the billboard with that theme.

The balloon passes a second billboard labeled A Brand New Beat. That billboard features movie clips of "debut performances."

The balloon is now moving toward a third billboard labeledSummer's Here. "A Summer Place" is playing on that billboard.

The balloon enters the billboard/movie scene and lands on a beach. The young man exits the balloon and walks into the ocean. He comes to a matte painting and walks through a door and is transformed into the rumble scene from "West Side Story." He leaps out of the way and lands on a tenemant rooftop. He sees a top hat lying on the roof. He picks it up and as he is placing it on his head we see a fourth billboard labeled Dancing In The Streets. A scene of Fred Astaire dancing in "Top Hat" is playing. The young man mimics Astaire's moves and leaps off the roof...Cut to close up of young man awaking from a dream. He is lying in a lounge chair. Cam pulls back to reveal he is on a rooftop...a radio beside him is playing "Dancing In The Streets" by Martha Reeves...Cam pulls back to reveal an aireal view of rooftop in the middle of a big city as we hear the lyrics...

"Calling out around the world/ Are you ready for a brand new beat? Summer's here and the time is right? For dancing in the streets..."

Cut to title card: Summer's Here On TCM June 18-June 22

Thanks for the encouragement, Lynn and filmlover. I tend to get a little obsessive. I hope I'm not too "over the top," but I don't know how I'm going to fit all my themes, etc. into one week! This is fun and my goal is to make everyone stay tuned to TCM the first week of summer...:)

filmlover, regarding TCM Underground, Imports and Silents, do we have the same option we have had in the last few Challenges to choose any movie within those genres, seeing how they don't always adhere to the rest of the RKO, Warner, MGM, etc. library?

I may be annoying you all with this because I won't shut up about it but this is the first time I have done one of these and I am very excited. I have gotten my schedule almost figured out the only 2 days I am having trouble with are sunday and wednesday, I am having to switch a lot of movies around on those days, I am also having to take some movies off and put different ones in for time issues, but Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday are pretty much done, luckly I did not have to take any movies off on those days because they fit into the scedule perfectly. Now I just have to figure out what month I will put it in, I am sure it will be some time in the summer.

filmlover, regarding TCM Underground, Imports and Silents, do we have the same option we have had in the last few Challenges to choose any movie within those genres, seeing how they don't always adhere to the rest of the RKO, Warner, MGM, etc. library?

Matt,

Very good point. I didn't think of that (my instructions were already the length of a novel).

Yes, for the TCM Underground, TCM Imports, and TCM Silent Sunday Nights, choose any movie from any studio, regardless if they are TCM-library or not. And these will not count as part of the five premieres.

Thanks for pointing it out. (lol, why ever did I think that when I got to be host/moderator of a Challenge, I would have a month of quiet while everyone else worked hard?)

Kubrickbuff,

If you're having problems with sunday and wednesday and you're thinking of a summer month-here's an idea...July 1-7...July 1 (sunday) is Canada Day and July 4 is wednesday...couple of themes to play with. This is my first time too and it is a lot of fun!

It's fairly normal to go through a lot of rearranging on your schedule due to time constraints and theme limits. Before you drive yourself too crazy pick a week. Then you can go through the birthday threads and program a day (or part of) around an actor, director, film composer's birthday. If you have a holiday in your week you can select films that fit the holiday. Don't lock yourself out of some great choices by doing it all before you pick your week.

Remember you have the whole month to do this so pace yourself and have fun.

Chris

Kubrick, you are not annoying. Those of us who have been doing these for awhile recall the excitement of creating the first one. I know you will work out the issues regarding the days and switches you want to make.

If it helps, one thing I do first are the special days that the host of each Challenge wants done in a specific way, then concentrate on the other days.

Does the scedule have to follow a paticular theme, because one person said somthing about birthdays or a paticular holiday, do I have to do a schedule based on one of those paticular themes. For instance, if I wanted to do a schedule on director Stanley Kramer, would it have to be his birthday in order to do the schedule or can I just put it on anyday, can I just do a scedule based on a theme but not have it be a paticular day like a person's birthday?

You may do a tribute to someone without it being a birthday. TCM does them all the time. Birthdays are just a good way to dedicate a night to someone. Sometimes, people will pick a star they want to a birthday tribute to and that way they then know what week to schedule.

Guys, if you have trouble picking a week, just think of an actor/actress that you would love to showcase, and pick the week they were born. You'd be surprised who else was also born that same week, and that gives you another person to plan a day's worth of movies around ... sometimes.

Kubrickbuff wrote -

"...do any of you recall any of Buster Keaton's material ever being presented on TCM..."

Kubrickfan,

Check out this webpage here at TCM.com.

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article?cid=92500

It is the overview article for the April 2005 event titled "April Fools". TCM saluted and highlighted the best comedies and comedians in the history of film for the entire month. Buster Keaton was a big part of that event.

If you keep scrolling down that page, you will read the entire primetime line-up during the salute to comedy. There were many other films and shorts run during the daytime hours that aren't listed there.. Perhaps someone with a "Now Playing" guide from April 2005 can fill in a few more Keaton titles.

Here are Keaton titles I have recorded while presented on TCM -

Cops 1922 - 22m

The Blacksmith 1921 - 20m

The Balloonatic 1922 - 22m

The Paleface 1921 - 33m

The Scarecrow 1920 - 17m

and these feature length films -

The Navigator 1924 59m

College 1927 - 65m

Our Hospitality 1923 - 74m

The General 1927 - 74m

Steamboat Bill, Jr. 1928 - 71m

Sherlock, Jr. 1924 - 44m

The Cameraman 1928 - 76m

plus, there's this film with Buster Keaton and Fatty Arbuckle -

Coney Island 1917 - 26m

Also, check out this article -

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article?cid=85205

It details a special evening devoted to Buster Keaton films revolving around a new documentary on Keaton while working at MGM.

Hope you can put this info to good use.

Kyle In Hollywood

Thanks hlywdkjk, the reason why I asked was because I wasn't sure if I should list them as premeires. A lot of those films were the ones that I chose and it looks like most of them have aired before, well I am glad that I got that out of the way and now I can move on. Thanks again for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

My knowlege of film is not that much either, I have seen plenty of films in my life from classic cinema to modern day cinema and movies are my life but for some reason when ever sombody asks me about a movie, you know like information and triva behind the films, my mind is a complete blank, I know nothing about the history of the film I just know that it was an amazing film and it touched me, I like Buster Keaton's movies a lot but I know nothing about the guy and I have been a fan of his work for years, I need to look up information about films a bit more but I love the films so much that I have no need to look up anyhing about it, don't ask me about films, I am a film buff, movies are my life but you need to talk to a film historian like Robert Osborne if you want to know information because he knows it all.

Archived