Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Back in September we cut the cord. I unplugged the DVR cable box unhooked the HDMI to the TV and dropped it all off at Time Warner Cable (now Spectrum) went cold turkey. The combined Cable-Internet-Phone bill went from $150+ to $31, lol.  I still have Netflix on a Roku box, and waiting to see if Sling TV will have TCM back on. I purchased a Chromecast device just $35, that plugs into the HDMI on the TV which makes the TV a smart TV and I can now stream anything on Youtube from the computer to the TV via WiFi. If I want to watch a football game I go to the nearest sports bar, have a burger, a beer, and a good time. Morning news programs you can listen to on the computer. One word of warning though, for over the net viewing or listening, for some programs they want to know your subscriber (meaning your cable company), so if no cable TV no show, which is a load of crap if you ask me, and another reason to give the finger to your cable company. There are some workarounds, for instance you can listen to say Morning Joe without commercials a day after the show is aired, BTW without the commercials it only runs about 45 minutes.

Of of all the channels we got we only watched the news, TCM, some TV Land, Antenna TV, Movies!, Get TV with any regularity, and occasionally shows like Pawn Stars, American Pickers, River Monsters, the last three you can probably find on Youtube.

We pretty much used TCM when we was connected I'd say 75% of the time like a radio, 25% of the time a film that interested us came on and we'd get off the computer and watch, the rest of the time the films, the bumpers etc., etc., without the commercials were just innocuous background noise. 

We haven't even begun to scratch the surface of what is available on Youtube. 

So far so good.

I think it's the only morning news show in which I'm not thinking "talking heads". (and I'm not referring to David Byrne)

Is it just me or- up until the last couple of days-  has Joe been OVERLY HOSTILE to everyone on the show?

Mika, I understand, she irks me...but seriously- I had to turn it off intermittently the vibes were so harsh...

And yet, I keep coming back for more punishment...

• Like 1

Is it just me or- up until the last couple of days-  has Joe been OVERLY HOSTILE to everyone on the show?

Mika, I understand, she irks me...but seriously- I had to turn it off intermittently the vibes were so harsh...

And yet, I keep coming back for more punishment...

I mostly like the other people on the show--Mike Barnacle, etc.

I mostly like the other people on the show--Mike Barnacle, etc.

Almost never watch Morining Joe now unless Scarborough is not on it.  He acts like a spoiled brat and seldom says anything worth while.  MSNBC needs to ditch him.

Best place for morning news is Headline News channel.  They actually cover more than just the elections and politics.

Incidentally, still have cable and glad of it.

Our cord was cut for us because of construction in the area. There were many promises but the cable company appears to feel it would be prohibitively expensive to run cable from other direction to serve the few customers on our stretch. Construction was to be finished by middle of September and normal routines restored. That plan was pushed to First of October and then to middle of October. We believe the current timetable is to complete construction by June, 2021.

We have Roku but reception is poor because Internet for us is wireless by local utility. We do not know when we might have cable/wired Internet access.

We had access to many channels because we had cable company account even when not having service but that changed and so those channels disappeared.

CBS-AllAccess is our primary viewing. It is fortunate for us that CBS offers this because: Elementary and NCIS are two of the three network programs which we watch.

We have considered SlingTV but cost is high for two channels only. It is sad to say that TCM has had little scheduled of recent to justify the cost.

Back in September we cut the cord. I unplugged the DVR cable box unhooked the HDMI to the TV and dropped it all off at Time Warner Cable (now Spectrum) went cold turkey. The combined Cable-Internet-Phone bill went from $150+ to $31, lol.  I still have Netflix on a Roku box, and waiting to see if Sling TV will have TCM back on. I purchased a Chromecast device just $35, that plugs into the HDMI on the TV which makes the TV a smart TV and I can now stream anything on Youtube from the computer to the TV via WiFi. If I want to watch a football game I go to the nearest sports bar, have a burger, a beer, and a good time. Morning news programs you can listen to on the computer. One word of warning though, for over the net viewing or listening, for some programs they want to know your subscriber (meaning your cable company), so if no cable TV no show, which is a load of crap if you ask me, and another reason to give the finger to your cable company. There are some workarounds, for instance you can listen to say Morning Joe without commercials a day after the show is aired, BTW without the commercials it only runs about 45 minutes.

Of of all the channels we got we only watched the news, TCM, some TV Land, Antenna TV, Movies!, Get TV with any regularity, and occasionally shows like Pawn Stars, American Pickers, River Monsters, the last three you can probably find on Youtube.

We pretty much used TCM when we was connected I'd say 75% of the time like a radio, 25% of the time a film that interested us came on and we'd get off the computer and watch, the rest of the time the films, the bumpers etc., etc., without the commercials were just innocuous background noise. 

So far so good.

U can save 31 bux & give it all up

So far so good.

Now, you can spend about $20 to buy yourself an antenna like this one: r_750x450.jpg

Stick it on the wall. Hide it behind a picture if you wish. Then you can get Antenna tv, Get tv, MOVIES! and so many other digital subchannels for free. Add that to your Netflix plus any other channels you can find on your Roku (I have it also ). Sling does have TCM, you have to pay $5 for the Hollywood Extra package. You'll still have more channels than you can handle for a fraction of the price. In the end you come out much better economically.

Welcome to the world of the cord cutters ! :)

The problem is cable offers so much more.  Even if you only use a small portion of it, still more than all the streaming ones.

Each streaming source requires that you set up separate accounts, usually with automatic billing.  My cable does not.

Streaming requires that your computer be on all the time with WiFi enabled to send the signal to the TV or other device.  Cable does not.

My computer is only on when I am actually using it and WiFi is disabled.

My cable line is far more reliable than the phone company one for the computer.

As for the TV antenna, have two of them, but very, very limited selection of channels.  They also have lots of very long, very boring comercials.

Incidentally, once streaming becomes more widespread, get ready for the big price increases.

Now, you can spend about $20 to buy yourself an antenna like this one: r_750x450.jpg

Stick it on the wall. Hide it behind a picture if you wish. Then you can get Antenna tv, Get tv, MOVIES! and so many other digital subchannels for free. Add that to your Netflix plus any other channels you can find on your Roku (I have it also ). Sling does have TCM, you have to pay $5 for the Hollywood Extra package. You'll still have more channels than you can handle for a fraction of the price. In the end you come out much better economically.

Welcome to the world of the cord cutters ! :)

Yea I did research on the HD antenna it seems that you need a clear shot to a source, if I'm not mistaken. Here if you live along the Hudson River  you can pick up Albany the antenna I looked at had a 65 mile range. If you are in the mountains you are out of luck, so I didn't go that route.

Stick it on the wall. Hide it behind a picture if you wish. Then you can get Antenna tv, Get tv, MOVIES! and so many other digital subchannels for free.

Only if you live in an area where those are among the digital sub-channels.

I've got an antenna a good 20 feet above the roof, and still can't get the local CBS affiliate because it's on Channel 6. Something about those frequencies needing lower power to broadcast, so the signal doesn't reach quite as far.

Yea I did research on the HD antenna it seems that you need a clear shot to a source, if I'm not mistaken. Here if you live along the Hudson River  you can pick up Albany the antenna I looked at had a 65 mile range. If you are in the mountains you are out of luck, so I didn't go that route.

Which is why I started with the cheapest one. I have the opposite problem. I live near the coast and most of the local transmitters are in the mountains miles away.  There are a few I can't get but, I get over 120 stations. (of course most are different languages I don't understand ).

This site can help: https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

To figure out what channels you can get and what antenna can get them. I would gladly pay a one time cost of an antenna over $100+ monthly for cable. 

My Dish bill was more than my electricity, gas and phone combined. And I didn't have premium channels. And for many of the cable channels, there is a OTA equivalent. Then the carriage disputes and black outs. I had enough.

• Like 2

Which is why I started with the cheapest one. I have the opposite problem. I live near the coast and most of the local transmitters are in the mountains miles away.  There are a few I can't get but, I get over 120 stations. (of course most are different languages I don't understand ).

This site can help: https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

To figure out what channels you can get and what antenna can get them. I would gladly pay a one time cost of an antenna over $100+ monthly for cable. 

My Dish bill was more than my electricity, gas and phone combined. And I didn't have premium channels. And for many of the cable channels, there is a OTA equivalent. Then the carriage disputes and black outs. I had enough.

Thanks for the link.

I cut the cable cord over 4 years ago. Love my antenna for local news & some TV. Tried to go with a more powerful antenna to get signal further away, but it did not work. That's OK.

Problem for innernet is the ONLY provider in my area is Slime Warner-all others have been blocked, can we say, "monopoly"?

I'm being educated on wi-fi streaming and hopefully can hook up sometime soon. I think the whole idea of "bundling" is what gets you in cash cow trouble. 

I just don't want to spend my time scrolling around trying to find what I want to watch....I like the instant gratification of DVDs....especially when I doze off and miss a section! 

• Like 2

y

I cut the cable cord over 4 years ago. Love my antenna for local news & some TV. Tried to go with a more powerful antenna to get signal further away, but it did not work. That's OK.

Problem for innernet is the ONLY provider in my area is Slime Warner-all others have been blocked, can we say, "monopoly"?

I'm being educated on wi-fi streaming and hopefully can hook up sometime soon. I think the whole idea of "bundling" is what gets you in cash cow trouble. 

I just don't want to spend my time scrolling around trying to find what I want to watch....I like the instant gratification of DVDs....especially when I doze off and miss a section! 

yur smart tiki 2 save money.

Only if you live in an area where those are among the digital sub-channels.

I've got an antenna a good 20 feet above the roof, and still can't get the local CBS affiliate because it's on Channel 6. Something about those frequencies needing lower power to broadcast, so the signal doesn't reach quite as far.

we had antena butt wind nkocked it off roof

Gets my location completely wrong.

What I do in situations like that is give another address of a neighbor. Or just put in the zip code.

That's what the industry is banking on. Notice in the advertising they always say things like: "Don't have to worry about finding channels or hooking things up. We've made it so easy for you"  or with bundling: " One easy bill to pay !" . Of course you will be paying for all this ease.

Spectrum guy came by my place today. I said no thank you. He says "Oh no, I'm not selling anything" then proceeds to ask what my internet service is. Why would he need to know this unless he's going to tell me his service is so much better ?? I once again said no thank you. They guy didn't seem to want to leave so I just closed the door.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings