Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Tammy Grimes has died

Barton_Keyes

Actress Tammy Grimes, who won a Tony Award for her buoyant portrayal of Western heiress and Titanic survivor Molly Brown in the original Broadway production of The Unsinkable Molly Brown​, has died. She won another Tony in a 1969 production of Noel Coward's ​Private Lives. She was 82.

Grimes made numerous appearances on film and television through the years, though on the small screen she is perhaps best known for turning down Elizabeth Montgomery's role on Bewitched so she could star in her own tailor-made vehicle. Cancelled after only six episodes at a time when even struggling shows were routinely allowed to run for an entire season, The Tammy Grimes Show ​had one of the shortest runs of any television program of its era.

From 1956 to 1960, Grimes was married to Oscar-winning actor Christopher Plummer, with whom she had a daughter, actress Amanda Plummer. She was subsequently married to actor Jeremy Slate and composer Richard Bell.

The New York Times ​remembers Tammy Grimes here: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/01/theater/tammy-grimes-died.html

• Like 1

Cancelled after only six episodes at a time when even struggling shows were routinely allowed to run for an entire season, The Tammy Grimes ​had one of the shortest runs of any television program of its era.

One of the new series that competed with "The Tammy Grimes Show" was NBC's "Star Trek," which also struggled in the ratings -- but survived for three seasons on the Peacock Network. Imagine how different our pop culture would have been if "Star Trek" had gotten axed early, too!

455f020730714b9040a82917fe5bcf3432dc2ccb

William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy of "Star Trek"

• Like 1

I believe she was a chain smoker. I'm surprised she lasted this long.

Well, I HAVE heard she smoked ONLY Camel cigarettes, DGF.

AND as you may know...well, tell ya what. I'll let this nice announcer here tell you why your apparent concerns regarding Tammy's habit might seem a bit misplaced...

;)

AND as you may know...well, tell ya what. I'll let this nice announcer here tell you why your apparent concerns regarding Tammy's habit might seem a bit misplaced...

;)

I wonder how many of those quacks would be able to walk a mile for a Camel.

Actress Tammy Grimes, who won a Tony Award for her buoyant portrayal of Western heiress and Titanic survivor Molly Brown in the original Broadway production of The Unsinkable Molly Brown​, has died. She won another Tony in a 1969 production of Noel Coward's ​Private Lives. She was 82.

Grimes made numerous appearances on film and television through the years, though on the small screen she is perhaps best known for turning down Elizabeth Montgomery's role on Bewitched so she could star in her own tailor-made vehicle. Cancelled after only six episodes at a time when even struggling shows were routinely allowed to run for an entire season, The Tammy Grimes Show ​had one of the shortest runs of any television program of its era.

From 1956 to 1960, Grimes was married to Oscar-winning actor Christopher Plummer, with whom she had a daughter, actress Amanda Plummer. She was subsequently married to actor Jeremy Slate and composer Richard Bell.

The New York Times ​remembers Tammy Grimes here: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/01/theater/tammy-grimes-died.html

I remember her from a couple of Route 66 episodes.

• Like 1

;)

R family docotor smoked like chimny

;)

One of my earliest memories is going to my pediatrician, and he had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth while he examined me.

Directed by Nancy Walker. Yes, that Nancy Walker.

Oh, the one from "Girl Crazy" and original Broadway "On the Town", you mean!   :P

(Just saw twenty-something Nancy turn up in her 40's-MGM role, and yeah, freaked me out.)

I didn't mention Tammy in the cheap "Can't Stop the Music" jokes,

A) because "Xanadu" fans have a grudge against CSTM for all the unfair confusion they get because of it, 

and

B ) Grimes was clearly stepping last-minute-sub into a role written for Joan Rivers--if you, ahem, know why--which had been turned down.  Not one of her finer moments for those who don't remember Unsinkable.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings