Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How many Draculas?

Sepiatone

Last night on the DECADES channel they showed three installments of a show called 100 YEARS OF HORROR hosted by CHRISTOPHER LEE.

One of them covered the various actors who played the irascible  Count in film.  Actually, I can only come up with a list that might NOT include ALL who have, and if there are any I missed, I'm sure all of you will happily fill in the gaps.  My list has---

BELA LUGOSI

JOHN CARRADINE

LON CHANEY Jr.

CHRISTOPHER LEE

FRANCIS LEDERER

LOUIS JOURDAN

FRANK LANGELLA

GARY OLDMAN

Those shows were interesting though.  Two others gave accounts of the "horror" careers of both Lugosi and Karloff, the latter showing a clip of a film in which a young LEE appeared in a film with Karloff.  The clip showed a scene in which Karloff's character threw a vial of acid in the face of Lee's character, and a close up of him screaming in agony.  A quick cut to a modern day Lee asking, "I wonder whatever became of HIM?"  :D

Both the Lugosi and Karloff installments had clips of interviews with their children( Bela Lugosi Jr. and Sara Karloff) .  Both said there was no actual hatred between the two, and in fact Lugosi's son looks NOTHING like his Dad.

Sepiatone

Marc Warren (2006 BBC Dracula)

Orson Welles (1938 radio broadcast, and my favorite telling of the story EVER)

Richard Roxborough in (the most unfortunate) VAN HELSING.

Duncan Regehr (most effectively) in THE MONSTER SQUAD.

The Dude at the end of LEGEND OF THE SEVEN GOLDEN VAMPIRES

The Dude at the start of BLACULA

Leslie Nielson in DRACULA DEAD AND LOVING IT

George Hamilton in LOVE AT FIRST BITE

Udo Keir in BLOOD FOR DRACULA

David Niven in "Old Dracula" (1975).

Michael Pataki in "Zoltan...Hound of Dracula", aka "Dracula's Dog" (1978).

Willem Dafoe as Count Orlok/Max Schrek in "Shadow of the Vampire" (2001), which is about the filming of "Nosferatu" (1922).  He was nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his performance.

the 

Last night on the DECADES channel they showed three installments of a show called 100 YEARS OF HORROR hosted by CHRISTOPHER LEE.

One of them covered the various actors who played the irascible  Count in film.  Actually, I can only come up with a list that might NOT include ALL who have, and if there are any I missed, I'm sure all of you will happily fill in the gaps.  My list has---

BELA LUGOSI

JOHN CARRADINE

LON CHANEY Jr.

CHRISTOPHER LEE

FRANCIS LEDERER

LOUIS JOURDAN

FRANK LANGELLA

GARY OLDMAN

Those shows were interesting though.  Two others gave accounts of the "horror" careers of both Lugosi and Karloff, the latter showing a clip of a film in which a young LEE appeared in a film with Karloff.  The clip showed a scene in which Karloff's character threw a vial of acid in the face of Lee's character, and a close up of him screaming in agony.  A quick cut to a modern day Lee asking, "I wonder whatever became of HIM?"  :D

Both the Lugosi and Karloff installments had clips of interviews with their children( Bela Lugosi Jr. and Sara Karloff) .  Both said there was no actual hatred between the two, and in fact Lugosi's son looks NOTHING like his Dad.

the wife says louie jordan

the 

the wife says louie jordan

What about him?

The whole thing was about if I missed anybody who also played Count Dracula in a film, and WHO he(or they) might have been.

NOT who anybody thinks was the "best"  or not. (But for the record, the version with JOURDAN is the one I like best.)

And I thank all those who provided the names of Niven and Palance.  There was also GEORGE HAMILTON in that vampire farce too

Schrek and Dafoe didn't make the list because NEITHER portayed COUNT DRACULA in a movie.  A VAMPIRE YES, but NOT the COUNT.

Sepiatone.

• Like 1

I see that some posters liked Palance as the Count.

While I'm a huge fan of Jack Palance's performance as Jekyll and Hyde, I was very disappointed by his interpretation of Dracula.

It's the suave Draculas that I enjoy on screen, and Palance, quite frankly, has too much of the brute about him to be convincing in such a role. I must concede, however, that it's probably been 20 years since I saw his performance.

I started a thread with pictures of every film and TV Dracula I could find. It can be seen here:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/112608-dracula-in-pictures/

I read and "amened" aloud your thoughts on 1992's BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA...it's interesting that they keep a lot of the idiosyncratic details of the novel (the blue rings of light that blaze along the carriage at night for example) but don't even attempt to explain them; and then they go and undermine the central idea of the novel and the character by making him a romantic figure.

I also really don't like (most of) the sets at all.

• Like 1

This is Rudolf Martin as Count Dracula. He guest starred in Season 5 Episode 1 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (titled: Buffy Vs. Dracula)

A month after he was Dracula on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Martin starred in the TV movie Dark Prince: The True Story of Dracula.

hqdefault.jpg

Long haired?  Interesting....

In the 100 YEARS OF HORROR episode I mentioned, they showed a clip of an interview with JOHN CARRADINE about his insisting that the Count should, as in the novel, have "Steely" GREY hair.  Apparently, HE was the only one to have it.  That I know of anyway.

He was probably made a romantic figure in many adaptations due to, as in the novel, the Count DID possess the hypnotic power to invoke lust in his FEMALE victims.  And movie suits might have thought women movie goers wouldn't buy a grey-haired old perv stirring feelings of lust in ANYbody.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings