Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thank you again to TCM for having NATALIE as "STOTM!"

spence

I noticed where she'll only have her films on on Fridays & I understand, given the fact that (Natalia Nikolaevnia Zakherenko)-(Natasha Gurdin)-(Natalie Wood) only made (46) theatrical films in her 38yr film career & she did (3) for television & a rare 1950's kinescope opposite James Dean;-(SEE BELOW)>

Born: June 20th, 1938 in San Francisco, CALIF.

Died: November 29th, 1981 off Catalina Island, CALIF.

Nationality: Russian-(mother) & Ukranian-(father)

Hgt: 5'0

Average wgt: approx. 105lbs

Eyes: Brown

Hair: Brown

Shoe size: 5 & 1/2-(NOTE: Stunningly, exact same size as the legendary *John Wayne's!)

Film Debut: "The Happy Land" (l943-Fox)

Last: "Brainstorm" (filmed in 1981 released posthumously in 1982 domestic gross: $13 million)

*Oscar champion *Edith Head said she could get Natalie into a size '17 & that her natural waistline was '18

Married: Robert Wagner-(1957-62) & (1972-81)

Richard Gregson (l969-7l?)

Children: Natasha Gregson Wagner-(l970-), Courtney Wagner-(l974-) & stepdaughter: Katie Wagner-(l964-)-(her own mother is actress Marion Marshal from several movies including "I Was a Male War Bride" "The Caddy" "The Stooge")

Her favorite film overall: *"GWTW"

Actor: *Gregory Peck

Actress: *Vivien Leigh & her idol-(she also kept a large painting of *Leigh in her living room)

Musician: Bob Dylan

Final residence: 603 Canon, Drive on Beverly Hills, CALIF.

Internment: "Westwood, cem" Westwood, CALIF.

Hollywood Walk-of-Fame Star: In front of "The Roosevelt Hotel"

(HER TV WORK): "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" "Cracker Factory" "From Here to Eternity"-(l979 tv mini-series & the only major acting award she ever took home was a Golden Globe.

But, around 1963 she was awarded "Harvard Lampoon's Worst Actress of the Year" & she was the first to personally accept it)

& below are just my own pix for "Essential Natalie"=-(limited to only 4 as w/TCM's GP's "Guest Programmers")>

1. "Splendor in the Grass" (l96l)- (Best Actress *Oscar nomination & always her personal favorite role & film)

2. "Inside Daisy Clover" (l965)-(by far not her best all-around picture, but a superb showcase for her! & everyone working on the film was certain, including herself, that she'd finally win the *Oscar as "Daisy"

She wasn't even in the running though?)

3. "Rebel Without a Cause" (l955-WB's) (nommed Best Supporting Actress, but was the leading lady?)

4. *"West Side Story" (l96l)-(swept 10 *Oscars, but was not a pleasant experience for her, due to many of the cast & crew being mean to her, because she wasn't a trained dancer as most of them were)

& "Miracle on 34th Street" (l947-Fox)-(HONORABLE MENTION)

But overall greatest picture she had anything to do with *John Ford's 1956 Western "The Searchers" (Warner Bros.)

Her only other *Academy (AMPAS) Award nomination-(other 2 cited above) was for the 1963 comedy-drama "Love With the Proper Stranger" opposite close pal: Steve McQueen

(& on that note, his own daughter Terry McQueen-(l959-98) was laid to rest right next to Natasha

& my candidate as her worst:

"Meteor" (l979) close-call with 1966's "Penelope"

Her biggest $Box-0ffice$ hit:

*"West Side Story"-(adjusted for inflation)

& 1969's "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice"

(TRIVIA/FAX: *Warren Beatty had virtually nagged her for a couple of years to portray Bonnie Parker in 1967's "Bonnie and Clyde")

& many may have seen that Natasha Gregson has had a new perfume titled "NATALIE" for sale for months now & of course named after her mom

THANK YOU

• Like 1

& my candidate as her worst:

"Meteor" (l979) close-call with 1966's "Penelope"

Meteor was really awful, but some of us were discussing Penelope in another thread recently, and at least one or two people praised it. I haven't seen it, but their recommendations made it sound worthwhile. 

Meteor was really awful, but some of us were discussing Penelope in another thread recently, and at least one or two people praised it. I haven't seen it, but their recommendations made it sound worthwhile. 

I love Penelope.  It's a lesser known Natalie Wood film, but it's fun.  The gist of the movie is that Wood is a neglected wife of the bank president.  She's bored and decides to spice things up and rob her husband's bank.  She dons the disguise of an elderly woman when committing her crime.  I think she knocks the same bank over at least twice.  The rest of the film involves the investigation of the crimes and Wood watching the investigation as it happens.  She decides to admit to the crimes, but nobody believes her.  Wood is charming and she also has a great wardrobe.  It's a fun caper film that needs to be available on DVD.  As a result, my last recording of Penelope off TCM lives on my DVR.

• Like 2

My favorite Natalie Wood films:

1. Splendor in the Grass

2. Gypsy

3. Rebel Without a Cause

4. This Property is Condemned

5. Love With a Proper Stranger

6. Penelope

7. West Side Story

8. Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice

9. Inside Daisy Clover

10. Tomorrow is Forever

My least favorite is probably The Great Race.  I like Natalie, but the movie on its own is blah. 

I haven't seen as many of her child roles.  But I thought she was great in Tomorrow is ForeverMiracle on 34th Street, and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.  

I'm looking forward to Natalie's tribute this month on TCM.  I'm especially excited to see Love With a Proper Stranger and Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice again. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings