Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My Christmas List for the TCM elves!

yanceycravat

I know it's early but I figured someone has to start the list!

Below are several films I believe have never aired on TCM. I think it's about time for another Lost and Found Series!

1) Private Screenings - Rod Steiger (Been way too long since this aired. Would be nice to have a Rod Steiger day or evening on his birthday in April.)

2) The Glass Key (1935)
Ed Beaumont is the personal friend, advisor and bodyguard to Paul Madvig, the political boss of a large city. When a mysterious murder is committed---the son of a Madvig political opponent---Madvig's enemies try to pin the crime on him because he is waging a clean-up campaign they oppose. Ed risks his life and his reputation to find the killer and clear his friend.
George Raft, Claire Dodd, Edward Arnold

3) The Scoundrel (1935)
A ruthless, cynical, hated publisher is killed in a plane crash, and his ghost must wander restlessly unless someone sheds a tear for him.
 Noël Coward, Julie Haydon, Stanley Ridges

4) The Silver Cord (1933)
A domineering matriarch is less than happy when her son brings home his new bride.
Irene Dunne, Joel McCrea, Laura Hope Crews

5) Winterset (1936)
Immigrant radical Bartolomeo Romagna is falsely condemned and executed for a payroll robbery. Years later, his son Mio sets out to find the truth of the crime and to bring to account the gangster Trock Estrella.
Burgess Meredith, Margo, Eduardo Ciannelli

6) The Great Gatsby (1949) - Screened at the TCM festival and should have made it's way to the airwaves by now!
"Adaptation" of the F. Scott Fitzgerald novel
Alan Ladd, Betty Field, Macdonald Carey

"While the merry bells keep ringing, may your every wish come true!"

Happy Holiday!

Yancey

• Like 4

Four Marion Davies silents--I've seen three of them online, so I know they're available:

"Janice Meredith" (1925)-- Set during the American Revolution, film got rave reviews from contemporary critics--I saw the film on YouTube some time ago.

"The Fair Co-ed" (1927)--Saw a lousy copy on YouTube--would Love to see a Good copy on TCM.

"Her Cardboard Lover" (1928)--Saw on a site I've forgotten--copy was OK, but would like to see TCM show it.

"Zander The Great" (1925)--Have not seen, but would like to see TCM show it.

Hope to see these, or other Davies silents, in 2017.  Thanks in advance, TCM.

• Like 2

Thanks, film lover, for starting a Christmas List and I'd like to add a movie to your list, if I may:

"The Counterfeit Traitor" (1962) - William Holden and Lilli Palmer - I haven't seen this film in quite a long time and it features one of Holden's finest performances as a WWII oil merchant who has been profiting by working with both the Allies and the Nazis. He reluctantly agrees to work with the Allies, who have put him in a bind, and to spy on the Germans providing the Allies with much needed information on oil refineries.  This film, directed by George Seaton, got lost in 1962 when it was released, probably because 1962 produced so many exceptional films such as The Miracle Worker, To Kill a Mockingbird, Dr. No, Cape Fear, Lonely Are The Brave, The Manchurian Candidate, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Lolita, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?, David and Lisa, Lawrence of Arabia, The Days of Wine and Roses, Ride The High Country, just to mention a few.  The film, which has a wonderful score by Alfred Newman, seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle and truly rates a viewing on TCM.

• Like 2

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-11-03%2Bat%2B10.14.

I'm at the wishing well and there are six Republic films I'd like to see on TCM:

THE CHEATERS (comedy)

July 15, 1945

Joseph Schildkraut, Billie Burke, Eugene Pallette

A family takes in a down-and-out actor at Christmastime. 87 mins. B&W.

BRIMSTONE (western)

August 15, 1949

Rod Cameron, Adrian Booth, Walter Brennan

A marshal learns that his friend and a local rancher are running a rustling scheme. 90 mins. Trucolor.

SOMEONE TO REMEMBER (drama)

August 21, 1943

Mabel Paige, Harry Shannon, John Craven

An elderly widow believes a young college student might be her long lost grandson. Remade by Warner Brothers in 1957 as JOHNNY TROUBLE with Ethel Barrymore. 80 mins. B&W.

THE SUN SHINES BRIGHT (drama)

May 2, 1953

Charles Winninger, Arleen Whelan, John Russell

The attitudes of a southern judge prove more powerful than the prejudice that surrounds him. 90 mins. B&W.

BRAZIL (musical comedy)

November 30, 1944

Tito Guizar, Virginia Bruce, Edward Everett Horton

A South American songwriter struggles to come up with a hit for a national songwriting contest. Oscar nominee for Best Score, Song and Sound. 91 mins. B&W.

SANDS OF IWO JIMA (war film)

March 1, 1950

John Wayne, John Agar, Adele Mara

A Marine Corps sergeant gets a group of recruits to train in a few weeks. Later on Iwo Jima, when the sergeant is shot down, the recruits vow to finish the mission. Oscar nominee for Best Actor, Best Original Screenplay, Best Editing and Best Sound.110 mins. B&W.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-11-03%2Bat%2B10.09.

• Like 1

I'd like to see either of the only 2 remaining films nominated for acting Oscars in the 1940's that I haven't seen: 1940's They Knew What They Wanted, and 1947's Ride the Pink Horse.

I would like to take a moment to let you know Ride the Pink Horse has a very nice release through the Criterion Collection. Available on DVD and Blu-Ray. If you don't want to own it, check your local library. I'm sure you could request a copy from them.

https://www.criterion.com/films/28066-ride-the-pink-horse?q=autocomplete

Yancey

The Cheaters got a TCM airing five or six years ago on Christmas Eve (or maybe Christmas night).

You're correct. It had a Christmas Eve airing and a Christmas Day airing in 2008. That was a while ago. And I know this film is a favorite of Robert Osborne's.

It should be airing around the holidays.

Hi, everyone.  I made an error in my post yesterday and wish to correct it by thanking yanceycravat for starting this "Christmas List" thread.

I'd like to add a film called "Junior Prom" (1946) starring June Preisser, Noel Neill, Jackie Moran, Judy Clark, Frankie Darro, Freddie Stewart.  It's a personal favorite of my sister's and mine and we loved it when we were kids about to become teenagers.

• Like 2

Hi, everyone.  I made an error in my post yesterday and wish to correct it by thanking yanceycravat for starting this "Christmas List" thread.

I'd like to add a film called "Junior Prom" (1946) starring June Preisser, Noel Neill, Jackie Moran, Judy Clark, Frankie Darro, Freddie Stewart.  It's a personal favorite of my sister's and mine and we loved it when we were kids about to become teenagers.

That's OK Marsha!  BTW - That looks like a great little cast in Junior Prom.  I'd like to see that one too! - Yancey

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings