Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cover Girl on TCM tonight!

Hey all fans of Gene Kelly, Rita Hayworth and musicals! Cover Girl is going to be on TCM tonight, Friday, Feb 2 at 8pm EST. A must-see for all fans of Kelly and Hayworth.

The color is vibrant, Rita and Gene dance up a storm, and the film also features the delightful Phil Silvers and Eve Arden.

One of my favorites. Check it out!

Sandy K

In the sequence where she is getting all made up for her magazine cover, Rita Hayworth is literally breathtaking in this movie! How I wish You Were Never Lovelier could have been in color, too...

Long ago and far away

I dreamed a dream one day

And now

That dream is here beside me

Long the skies were overcast

But now the clouds have passed

You're here at last

Chills run up and down my spine

Aladdin's lamp is mine

The dream I dreamed was not denied me

Just one look and then I knew

That all I longed for, long ago

Was you

--Mr. I. Gershwin and Mr. Kern

> Hey all fans of Gene Kelly, Rita Hayworth and

> musicals! Cover Girl is going to be on TCM

> tonight, Friday, Feb 2 at 8pm EST. A must-see for all

> fans of Kelly and Hayworth.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm a fan of all of the above. Looking forward to it. Should be a fun night of programming on TCM.

I'll be watching this for sure! I think I heard somewhere that this film was sort of a breakout performance for Phil Silvers who I enjoy a lot but have seen very little of outside of his portrayal of Sgt. Bilko.

I know not to expect too much of him but i'll cherish every moment he's on screen.

Wow, I nearly mistook Lee Bowman herein, for Zachary Scott, especially as he appeared in "Mildred Pierce".

Did they BOTH specialize in playing silver-tongued, weak-willed playboys and/or conniving gigolos?

Looks like they took turns sharing that pencil mustache!

Bowman's character tonight nauseated me with his purring smoothness, would've loved to see William Bendix step out of an alley behind him, grab him by the scruff of his impeccable evening wear, and hiss into his ear: "C'mere pretty boy, I'm takin' you to school!"

See why I'm never lonely?!

Rita is so gorgeous and so charming in this film. Kelly seemed somewhat unsure and nervous in his role, almost as if he knew it was an important breakthrough role re: his solo dance sequence with the alter ego. Granted, his character of Danny McGuire was supposed to be a "stubborn Irishman"; nevertheless, Kelly seemed ill at ease. Did anyone else notice this? What saved this film from being just eye candy was the grounding influence of the hauntingly beautiful song "Long Ago and Far Away". And to my eyes this sort of seemed an early prototype of the "On the Town" type of musical, with an "edge", the New York theme, and a sophisticated "revue" feel to it in spots.

I first saw Cover Girl last year on a bad VHS tape. It was nice to see this one restored. This is a dazzling musical with some great numbers, especially Gene Kelly's Alter Ego.

Eve Arden was a delight to watch. I've seen her in a few films, and she's always worth seeing.

The more I see of Rita Hayworth, the more I believe she was very underrated. She excelled in comedies, dramas, film-noirs, and musicals (she danced with Fred AND Gene). What a marvelous talent this lady was!!

What a delightful film!

I loved the song and dance number on the street with Rita, Gene and Phil. That was some great stuff and makes me sad that we can't have that kind of escapism in our cynical, jaded world.

'cover girl' on dvd looks just spectacular, you guys must upgrade......just seeing rita running down from the clouds on that long winding ramp to dance with that chorus of men would be worth the price!

rita, such a superb, graceful dancer. she lives up to her nickname "the love goddess" alright!

"Kelly seemed somewhat unsure and nervous in his role"

I agree Bronxgirl48, Gene Kelly did seem a bit tentative in many scenes, though his dancing, especially in the scene when he was paired with his conscience, was swell. From what I've read about Kelly, he was diligently learning his trade during this movie, and took dance on film in a different and experimental direction, beginning with this role.

I find that there were times when Rita Hayworth also seemed a bit awkward as well when asked to express emotions beyond her acting experience. However, having only recently caught You Were Never Lovelier opposite Fred Astaire, I've only just realized that the grace and joy that Rita Hayworth expresses when she takes flight through dance could make up for her then nascent skill as a film actress. It's as though her spirit took flight in those sublime moments when she danced.

I watched this last night with my daughter. We enjoyed it.

I like the dance with Kelly, Hayworth and Silvers in which they encounter the cop. Kelly's dance with Hayworth as the "statue who comes to life" was also good, and his dance with himself is worth watching the movie for.

Eve Arden and Phil Silvers were good comedy relief, and the plot linking the current story to events forty years ago was rather interesting.

Not the deepest of musicals, but a lot of fun. It seemed to me that Gene Kelly built on a lot of things in this film in his future work.

Klondike:

I think you may be correct in the assumption that Lee Bowman and Zach shared the silver tongued roles, they both do it to perfection.

Sorry folks, I don't find Rita all that graceful. In the bit where she was experiencing the huge stage that Bowman was showing her, she reminded me of that girl who was the first image on the AFI 100 years at the movie, her gown was even the same colors, and Rita's twirling looked like a copy, think about it, or if you taped it, re-run it. She looks graceful with a partner, like Gene or Fred, but I think they kept her performance steady, alone, she is kind of shaky. The only other performance of dancing alone I can think of is Gilda, but I always attributed the woodenness to that skin-tight gown. If you look at the chorus number when the girls start out dressed as 'ladies' then drop their skirts and change to Burlesque, she's completely out of sync with both the music and the other girls, and her movements are static not smooth as if she needs to hear the beat before she can make the movement, so she's a note behind everyone else. Rita is beautiful, and a good actress, and makes you grateful for technicolor, but, from this performance, I wouldn't have chosen her for another similar role. Watch Rita, then watch Ginger or Vera Ellen, who both tap and free-style dance, and I think you'll see what I mean.

It wa a cute musical though, and I, too, liked the balance between 40 years ago, it added that something extra to the story.

GO BEARS!!!!!

Anne

I can't wait for My Gal Sal!!! Great news! :) Looks like Rita is SOTM for April?! I adore her so that makes me very happy.

My 6 year old son, who never watches "my" movies, caught Cover Girl right near the beginning and he was totally enthralled with it. He watched the entire thing - and you'd have to know my son to know how incredible that is! He loved Rita and loved all the dancing! He was even telling someone about it after it was over. I'm really happy about this, can't ya tell. *g* Maybe I have a 'classic movie lover' in him, after all. *crosses fingers*

I think Rita is wonderful at whatever she does, including dancing. :)

>

> Sorry folks, I don't find Rita all that graceful. In

> the bit where she was experiencing the huge stage

> that Bowman was showing her, she reminded me of that

> girl who was the first image on the AFI 100 years at

> the movie, her gown was even the same colors, and

> Rita's twirling looked like a copy, think about it,

> or if you taped it, re-run it. She looks graceful

> with a partner, like Gene or Fred, but I think they

> kept her performance steady, alone, she is kind of

> shaky. The only other performance of dancing alone I

> can think of is Gilda, but I always attributed the

> woodenness to that skin-tight gown. If you look at

> the chorus number when the girls start out dressed as

> 'ladies' then drop their skirts and change to

> Burlesque, she's completely out of sync with both the

> music and the other girls, and her movements are

> static not smooth as if she needs to hear the beat

> before she can make the movement, so she's a note

> behind everyone else. Rita is beautiful, and a

> good actress, and makes you grateful for technicolor,

> but, from this performance, I wouldn't have

> chosen her for another similar role. Watch Rita,

> then watch Ginger or Vera Ellen, who both tap and

> free-style dance, and I think you'll see what I

> mean.

>

Anne, I believe that Rita purposefully missed a step or two in the opening number because Gene Kelly's character makes a comment about it.

However, did anyone else notice the chorus boy in the number on the huge ramp who moves his arms when everyone else has stopped? I always wondered if the director never caught the mistake, or if it was just too expensive to do another take.

Sandy K