Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Funny Face

bradtexasranger

Anybody else out there think this is a gem they could never get tired of seeing? I love the Paris locale and Kay Thompson's "Clap Yo Hands" number, among many other things. Always love seeing Audrey Hepburn.

Oh, can't leave out the solo Audrey dance number going on right now and the Bon Jour Paris number.

Message was edited by:

bradtexasranger

I still watch bits and pieces. Anytime Kay Thompson is on the screen, I'm there. Think Pink! It's great to see Suzy Parker, Dovima (sans elephant), etc. modeling the wares. The fashion shoot stuff is great to watch. Some of the soft focus photography is beginning to wear thin on me and there are stretches that I don't need to see for awhile. Still, it's a gorgeous movie -- and a must for all who are interested in Gershwin, MGM musicals (even if they weren't made at MGM), 1950's aesthetics, etc.

Enjoy!

I love this movie! I have it on dvd--I got it for only $6.99 at Borders about 2 years ago. I love the photo shoot sequence with Audrey Hepburn, the dance in the Paris underground club, the Clap Yo Hands number, Think Pink, Fred's dance with the beautiful white trench coat with the red lining--the whole '50's fashion look of the film.

Glad you enjoyed it, brad.

Sandy K

I don't believe that Kay Thompson is in any other films...JackBurley would probably know...

Kay Thompson was a great musical arranger for MGM and others...she worked with Roger Edens on a lot of Judy Garland's arrangements. She also wrote the popular children's book Eloise.

I love her jazzy style.

Sandy K

I don't believe that Kay Thompson is in any other films...

Lots of TV work, and these film appearances - in addition to her arranging, composing, etc.:

Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon (1970) [Actress .... Miss Gregory]

Funny Face (1957) [Actress .... Maggie Prescott] [soundtrack] (performer: "Think Pink", "Bonjour Paris", "On How To Be Lovely", "Clap Yo' Hands")

The Kid from Brooklyn (1946) [Actress .... Matron]

Manhattan Merry-Go-Round (1937) [Actress .... Herself (leader, Kay Thompson and Her Ensemble)] [soundtrack] (performer: "All Over Nothing at All") ("I Owe You", "All Over Nothing at All")

... aka Manhattan Music Box (UK)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0860373/filmoyear

The talented and vivacious Kay Thompson was a huge influence at the MGM's legendary Freed Unit. She arrived at MGM in 1943 to take the place of another big talent, the composer/arranger/singer Hugh Martin, who'd gone into the military service. Ms. Thompson was Judy's vocal coach for Meet Me in St. Louis, The Pirate, The Harvey Girls, among others flicks and became one of her best friends. She wrote arrangements for Meet the People and Till the Clouds Roll By. Kay Thompson was a behind-the-scenes powerhouse. Oh, and she was Liza Minnelli's godmother. (Ms. Minnelli was, of course, her co-star in Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon.) Little Liza was Ms. Thompson's inspiration for the character of Eloise -- the little girl who lived in the Plaza Hotel and starred in the popular series of children's books that Thompson wrote.

"I thought that Kay Thompson also worked with Roger Edens at MGM on Garland's arrangements. Is that not true?

She sure did, Ms. Pax. They were a very tight group. Gee, I wish I could have been there at that time... The parties they had were legendary. Judy and Kay singing at the top of their lungs with Edens at the piano. Where the devil is my time machine when I need it?

Archived