Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

50's Lifestyle

GGGGerald

Back when a book reviewer* in the 90's,  I received a book called GOING GOING GONE: VANISHING AMERICANA which had 71 chapters on such items as:

Balsa wood airplanes

Carbon Paper

Card Catalogues

The Dining Room

Drive In Movies

Family Farms

Fire Escapes

Fur Coats

Girdles

Handkerchiefs

Hitchhiking

Hotel Keys

Leisure Suits

Mending

Men's Clubs

Men's Garters

The Motion Picture Production Code

The Navy Blue Suit

Nuclear Family

Nuns

Paperboys

Paper Dolls

Rotary Phones

Sanitary Napkin Belts

Slide Rules

Smell of Burning Leaves

Smoking

Soda Fountains

Stockings

Suntans

Teenage Dating

Telegrams

Two Newspaper Towns

Typewriters

The Unanswered Phone

Unfixed Pets

Wedding Night Virgins

White Gloves

*almost every job I've had has become obsolete including window dresser, fashion coordinator, catalogue photographer, magazine editor, cartographer, graphic designer, even MacIntosh Technician! Oy!

This is an interesting list.  At my job, we still use carbon paper! Some people still don't realize that you need to press hard with your pen to get through all the layers.  Also those gel ink type pens do not work nearly as well as a ballpoint pen when it comes to carbon paper.

The unanswered phone.  While I don't have a landline, if I get a call from a phone number I don't recognize, I usually hit "decline" and move on.  Though, right now with all the people I have working on my house and the insurance company, I've been having to answer all my calls in case they're trying to call me.  

Thank goodness for the sanitary pad belt going out of fashion.  Talk about everyone knowing your business if you had to wear one of those puppies with jeans or something. I realize that back in the day, the ladies were probably wearing dresses, so it wouldn't be as obvious. 

My city has leaf burning during parts of the year.  I don't have any trees in my yard nor do I own a burn barrel, but you can still smell the leaves during burning season. 

Oregon has two drive-ins that I know of, one in Dallas and one in Newberg.  Unfortunately, the one in Dallas is in danger of closing if they can't raise money to purchase new digital equipment.  The one in Newberg ended up winning some sort of Honda sponsored drive-in contest and received a free upgrade to their equipment.  Dallas and Newberg aren't that far apart from one another, so I believe that the Dallas one also didn't make much of a profit this past season.  The Salem Drive-In closed in the early 90s and sat vacant for years until the land was turned into a movie theater and featured the town's first theater with stadium seating.  The Drive-In sign stood for a decade or so past that until it was torn down a year or two ago. 

I wish smoking would go out of fashion.  It seems to be experiencing some sort of revival with the hipster set. I don't know why, with all the information out there, that young people would purposely pick up smoking.  No thanks.  It's disgusting.  Though, I will admit that in old black and white movies, it can look kind of sexy.  I know, it's a contradiction! 

2vuep6p.gif

Back when a book reviewer* in the 90's,  I received a book called GOING GOING GONE: VANISHING AMERICANA which had 71 chapters on such items as:

Balsa wood airplanes

Carbon Paper

Card Catalogues

The Dining Room

Drive In Movies

Family Farms

Fire Escapes

Fur Coats

Girdles

Handkerchiefs

Hitchhiking

Hotel Keys

Leisure Suits

Mending

Men's Clubs

Men's Garters

The Motion Picture Production Code

The Navy Blue Suit

Nuclear Family

Nuns

Paperboys

Paper Dolls

Rotary Phones

Sanitary Napkin Belts

Slide Rules

Smell of Burning Leaves

Smoking

Soda Fountains

Stockings

Suntans

Teenage Dating

Telegrams

Two Newspaper Towns

Typewriters

The Unanswered Phone

Unfixed Pets

Wedding Night Virgins

White Gloves

*almost every job I've had has become obsolete including window dresser, fashion coordinator, catalogue photographer, magazine editor, cartographer, graphic designer, even MacIntosh Technician! Oy!

"When a girl changes from bobby sox to stockings......"

I think personal assistant is a very broad term.

It's more like a secretary who also does a number of personal tasks or errands for the employer-- something between an aide and a gopher.

Manservant for men is more like somebody who is a valet, Butler, somebody who would be like a personal maid for a woman.

But I suppose if the rich person or celebrity was cheap, they can call the person anything they wanted to and make them do anything they wanted done.

I noticed PAPER DOLLS on that list.  I remember some of my buddies sisters having those sturdy cardboard  figures that had the  paper dresses with little "tabs" on them that you'd fold over to "dress" the "doll".

Anyone have ANY idea what I'm talking about?

And, how many here remember COLORFORMS?   Those various shapes and figures cut out from a paper thin sheet of vinyl that you'd stick to a sheet of laminated paperboard?

Do they still make that?  

Stuff like what we're discussing is one of the reasons I like to watch AMERICAN PICKERS.  Those guys often dig up stuff like toys and furniture from that era.

Sepiatone

I noticed PAPER DOLLS on that list.  I remember some of my buddies sisters having those sturdy cardboard  figures that had the  paper dresses with little "tabs" on them that you'd fold over to "dress" the "doll".

Anyone have ANY idea what I'm talking about?

And, how many here remember COLORFORMS?   Those various shapes and figures cut out from a paper thin sheet of vinyl that you'd stick to a sheet of laminated paperboard?

Do they still make that?  

Stuff like what we're discussing is one of the reasons I like to watch AMERICAN PICKERS.  Those guys often dig up stuff like toys and furniture from that era.

Sepiatone

I loved paper dolls when I was a kid. I had The Maquire Sisters (remember them?) and some that were the dresses for the First Ladies inaugural gowns up to Mamie Eisenhower. I think I may have also had The Lennon Sisters too. I remember Colorforms but I don't think I actually had any; I think one of my friends did.

The personal assistant did it just doesn't have the same

ring to it. I'm glad men don't wear hats that much. They

look like a real pain in the neck. Wedding night virgins

and white gloves. Hope there's no connection there

beyond the alphabetical.

The last I heard, Men's Clubs were alive and well around these parts.

The man has to have some kind of a membership and they're technically called clubs-- but the public just calls them topless night clubs, strip joints or road houses-- usually outside of city limits.

They're certainly nothing like those fabulous Playboy Clubs they use to have in Kansas City.

DGF said: "When a girl changes from bobby sox to stockings......"

I am not familiar with that quote! What does it mean?

I think they still make Colorforms. The last box I bought was a Pee-Wees Playhouse set in the 80's. They may be discontinued, but I thought I saw Star Wars ones less than a decade ago. 

And by "unanswered phone" they mean a phone that keeps on ringing. (back when phones had an actual BELL and not some electronic chirp or melody) No "answering machine" or voicemail picking up.

How many old movies have someone walking into an apartment with the phone ringing & ringing?

Funnily enough, really old hand phones don't "ring" with a bell. That must have come in the 50's. My really old telephones from the 30's & 40's sort of "buzz". It's a gutteral razzing kind of sound. 

I loved paper dolls when I was a kid. I had The Maquire Sisters (remember them?) and some that were the dresses for the First Ladies inaugural gowns up to Mamie Eisenhower. I think I may have also had The Lennon Sisters too. I remember Colorforms but I don't think I actually had any; I think one of my friends did.

I loved Colorforms, one of my favorites as a kid. How about hula hoops? My favorite one ( I had a few) was mint green same as my bike.

How many remember wearing their skate key around their necks on a string? My neighborhood had a huge hill and roller skating was a dangerous pastime. Usually went to the neighborhood park to skate and ride bikes.

Of course, paper doll books pre-date the '50s. This one is from 1943.

claudette_colbert.jpg

I suspect many of the Golden Era movie queens had paper doll books. I just randomly selected Dietrich and came up with this one, too:

marlene-dietrich-paperdolls_1.jpg

The last I heard, Men's Clubs were alive and well around these parts.

The man has to have some kind of a membership and they're technically called clubs-- but the public just calls them topless night clubs, strip joints or road houses-- usually outside of city limits.

They're certainly nothing like those fabulous Playboy Clubs they use to have in Kansas City.

I think what the man might have meant by "men's clubs" were those places where, in old movies, you'd see old f a r t s sitting around in leather easy chairs reading newspapers.  The kind of places where a man who argued with his wife would stomp off saying, "I'll be sleeping at the CLUB tonight!"

TIKI:  I've seen in old movies and was also told that those old "pedestal" phones didn't have ANY "bells" in them.  The ringing came from a unit on the wall that had the bells in them.  And MY phone will keep "ringing" until the person who's calling finally hangs up.

LAVENDAR:  My brother, back in the late '50's, had a pair of what was called "Moon Boots", which were a large pair of soft upper-metal soled shoe type thingies with two strong coil springs connected to the "soles" that caused one to bounce while walking down the sidewalk.  He was four years older than me, and I was so small and light that I didn't even compress the springs when I tried to walk in them.  You could put them on OVER the shoes you were already wearing.

Sepiatone

DGF said: "When a girl changes from bobby sox to stockings......"

I am not familiar with that quote! What does it mean?

I think they still make Colorforms. The last box I bought was a Pee-Wees Playhouse set in the 80's. They may be discontinued, but I thought I saw Star Wars ones less than a decade ago. 

And by "unanswered phone" they mean a phone that keeps on ringing. (back when phones had an actual BELL and not some electronic chirp or melody) No "answering machine" or voicemail picking up.

How many old movies have someone walking into an apartment with the phone ringing & ringing?

Funnily enough, really old hand phones don't "ring" with a bell. That must have come in the 50's. My really old telephones from the 30's & 40's sort of "buzz". It's a gutteral razzing kind of sound. 

That was a 1959 song by Frankie Avalon.

I loved Colorforms, one of my favorites as a kid. 

Oh wow, I hadn't thought about those in decades.  I used to love those as a kid, too.  I had one set where the pieces glowed in the dark (you had to make sure to hold them under a light for a while first, then in a dark room imaged would suddenly appear on the shapes).

I just looked online and they still sell Colorforms.  You can get the Peanuts' "Lucy's Winter Carnival" set for $22.95, among others.   ;)

24fz6ab.png

6s5p36.jpg

Oh wow, I hadn't thought about those in decades.  I used to love those as a kid, too.  I had one set where the pieces glowed in the dark (you had to make sure to hold them under a light for a while first, then in a dark room imaged would suddenly appear on the shapes).

I just looked online and they still sell Colorforms.  You can get the Peanuts' "Lucy's Winter Carnival" set for $22.95, among others.   ;)

WOW!

That's MUCH more than the $3.95 my Mom said was "highway robbery" back when I got mine!  ;)

Sepiatone

On the MOVIES! channel the other night, they showed BYE BYE BIRDIE, and a scene in there brought back thoughts about something I've only seen in movies, but my wife said( she IS ten years my senior) she remembers a few places on Michigan Ave. that had them.

I'm talkin' about record shops that had those small LISTENING BOOTHS or tiny rooms which you could take potential record purchases in and give a listen.

I'VE never seen any in the couple or so stores I used to buy MY records.  The most Town and Country Music would do for you is put it on the little player they had behind the counter so you could hear a bit of it.

Sepiatone

On the MOVIES! channel the other night, they showed BYE BYE BIRDIE, and a scene in there brought back thoughts about something I've only seen in movies, but my wife said( she IS ten years my senior) she remembers a few places on Michigan Ave. that had them.

I'm talkin' about record shops that had those small LISTENING BOOTHS or tiny rooms which you could take potential record purchases in and give a listen.

I'VE never seen any in the couple or so stores I used to buy MY records.  The most Town and Country Music would do for you is put it on the little player they had behind the counter so you could hear a bit of it.

Sepiatone

Borders Bookstores, which folded a few years ago, had  large CD departments with listening stations. You could listen to any CDs you wanted, right in the store, without buying them. Maybe that's why they folded. This was in the '90s and '00s.

Borders Bookstores, which folded a few years ago, had  large CD departments with listening stations. You could listen to any CDs you wanted, right in the store, without buying them. Maybe that's why they folded. This was in the '90s and '00s.

Went to a Barnes & Nobel last week. Their audio/video department had a huge number of vinyl records.  Lots of CD's have been removed to make room for them.  No listening booths, but they do have changed the special display for CD's to LP's.  You used to be able to listen to selected CD's on headsets they had in this area.

Books A Million is also selling vinyl LP's, as well as the turntables on which to play them.

I think you can still purchase paper dolls.  I know I have seen them in some of the "nostalgia" stuff catalogs I receive.

Were those CDs already opened?  You know, there for your listening pleasure?  Or did they open fresh CDs and cut through all that security tape and such just for you to give a listen?  Just like the library used to have already opened CDs and  old vinyl LPs before that.

Getting back to that list, I noticed BALSA WOOD AIRPLANES on it.  Man, I must have gone through a TON of 'em.  I remember scrounging together all the pop bottles i could find and scraping together all sorts of loose change in order to get the one that came with a plastic propeller powered by a rubber band.

If you could get hold of a dime a week, you could buy a KITE a week.  I know they still make kites and sometimes( but not that often anymore) you might spot someone flying one, but largely a thing of the LONG past.

The "king of the block" was the kid with the "store bought" scooter.  NOT one made of old wood, broomsticks and discarded metal rollerskates.

I grew up in a Detroit suburb that for decades was an all white enclave.  It wasn't rare to see a bunch of kids jump on top of another after someone shouted, "N----r pile on BILLY!".  Looking back I can't really reason WHY it was called that.  Black co-workers and friends I'd later tell about this were amused by it all.  "We never did THAT sort of thing." they'd tell me.

When was the last time kids at ANY birthday party played that game where you'd kneel backwards over the back of a chair and try to drop a CLOTHESPIN into the opening of a MILK BOTTLE?

Or played PIN THE TAIL ON THE DONKEY?

HOT POTATO?

DUCK, DUCK, GOOSE?  or......

Did "One potaato, two potato"?  or...

"EENY-MEENY-MINEE-MOE", but didn't catch a TIGER by the toe? 

Ever pound a whole roll of caps with a hammer?

DAMN I hate getting old!

Sepiatone

The listening booth that I remember best is the one in

Strangers on a Train  where Farley gets in a loud argument

with his soon to be ex-wife. It did look kind of cool.

Now vinyl is coming back after I switched many years ago

to CDs. Make up your minds. I have read that vinyl sales

are increasing, though they still make up a small part of

the market. I still have my old turntable and speakers, though

I haven't used them in a long time. So I'm prepared.

Were those CDs already opened?  You know, there for your listening pleasure?  Or did they open fresh CDs and cut through all that security tape and such just for you to give a listen?  Just like the library used to have already opened CDs and  old vinyl LPs before that.

Getting back to that list, I noticed BALSA WOOD AIRPLANES on it.  Man, I must have gone through a TON of 'em.  I remember scrounging together all the pop bottles i could find and scraping together all sorts of loose change in order to get the one that came with a plastic propeller powered by a rubber band.

If you could get hold of a dime a week, you could buy a KITE a week.  I know they still make kites and sometimes( but not that often anymore) you might spot someone flying one, but largely a thing of the LONG past.

The "king of the block" was the kid with the "store bought" scooter.  NOT one made of old wood, broomsticks and discarded metal rollerskates.

I grew up in a Detroit suburb that for decades was an all white enclave.  It wasn't rare to see a bunch of kids jump on top of another after someone shouted, "N----r pile on BILLY!".  Looking back I can't really reason WHY it was called that.  Black co-workers and friends I'd later tell about this were amused by it all.  "We never did THAT sort of thing." they'd tell me.

When was the last time kids at ANY birthday party played that game where you'd kneel backwards over the back of a chair and try to drop a CLOTHESPIN into the opening of a MILK BOTTLE?

HOT POTATO?

DAMN I hate getting old!

Sepiatone

I also hate getting old. That's why I'm not.

HOT POTATO?

DAMN I hate getting old!

Sepiatone

If I remember right, at Borders, you just scanned the UPC from the CD and the player would bring up the information and you could listen to the different songs.

At Barnes & Noble, they have listening booths but they're preloaded with set CDs (usually new releases or bestsellers).

Archived