Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GGGGerald

50's Lifestyle

Haha I never touch anything in a waiting room-I bring my own book. I once made serious points with my new dentist when he spotted me reading Shah Rukh Khan's autobiography.

TheCid said: Live in a 1949 Greek Revival house with formal living room

Heh I once owned a 1949 house...it looked like this: 

Westchester_Dlxe.jpg

Although cars aren't my "thing", I do somewhat collect brightwork.

I keep wishing I could clone my Nash Metropolitan hubcap to be an entire vehicle!

• Like 1

Not only are the magazines in doctor's offices old, but they are germ laden.  Read somewhere that there is a high concentration of germs on magazines in doctor's offices.  Why not, lots of sick people have read them.

I think it's how they generate business.   ;)

Sepiatone

Me too.  There may HAVE been some important news item I DIDN'T catch two or three years ago!  :D

Sepiatone

When I was a little kid, I used to go to a doctor with my mother who had no magazines or any other reading material. While you were waiting to be called, all you could do was stare at the other people waiting.

OK----quick unscientific poll-----

Which has the most ragged and outdated magazines;

DOCTOR'S OFFICES, or...BARBER SHOPS?

Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Barber shops, as such, are still only a fact of life in the black community, where they are an important community gathering place.. Everywhere else, guys generally go to unisex hair stylists.

Barber shops, as such, are still only a fact of life in the black community, where they are an important community gathering place.. Everywhere else, guys generally go to unisex hair stylists.

You watch too many ICE CUBE movies, man.  I can name at least THREE barber shops within a two to four minute drive from my house, and I live in a largely white populated area.  The one I go to is owned by a guy named SAL( for Salvatore) and in 15 years, NEVER saw a black guy in there.  What tickles ME about the place is.....his two sons are also barbers there, and THOSE guys are CUE-BALL BALD!  :D

And incidentally, all the "unisex" places I used to go to back in the '70's are all out of business.  They're GONE!

Sepiatone

You watch too many ICE CUBE movies, man. I can name at least THREE barber shops within a two to four minute drive from my house, and I live in a largely white populated area. The one I go to is owned by a guy named SAL( for Salvatore) and in 15 years, NEVER saw a black guy in there. What tickles ME about the place is.....his two sons are also barbers there, and THOSE guys are CUE-BALL BALD! :D

And incidentally, all the "unisex" places I used to go to back in the '70's are all out of business. They're GONE!

Sepiatone

I go once a month to a ladies well known chain Beauty Salon. They do a lot of things to my hair and I have to stay for two hours. So for once a month for 2 hours I see an average of a half-dozen guys come in and have stuff done to their hair and sometimes they bring their little boys.

For years I went to the mall to places like JC Penney's and it was the same thing.

We don't call it uni- sex, we just call it the place where everyone goes to get their hair styled.

Sepiatone

Sepiatone...Doctor's offices by far...my hairdressers always has the latest gossip rags...doctor's offices, out of date and if in date boring. 

When I was a little kid, I used to go to a doctor with my mother who had no magazines or any other reading material. While you were waiting to be called, all you could do was stare at the other people waiting.

Yes that may have been all there was to watch...but they were certainly interesting to observe.  Our doctor's office was over a Rexall Drug Store, the elevator was one of those open cage types, the halls had wooden floors and the whole building smelled like a mix of nitrous oxide (dentists) and the smell of hamburgers emitting from the soda fountain below.  Best thing about the whole trip...always got an ice cream cone when we were finished. 

• Like 1

I haven't been to a barbershop in about thirty years. The one

I went to as a kid was kind of a stereotypical Italian one. Hey,

what you want with all that hair? The worst in doctor office TV

is the CC kind that repeats the same old medical help/commercials.

Yikes.

I haven't been to a barbershop in about thirty years. The one

I went to as a kid was kind of a stereotypical Italian one. Hey,

what you want with all that hair? The worst in doctor office TV

is the CC kind that repeats the same old medical help/commercials.

Yikes.

So, tell us Vautrin.

Which of these nifty old styles did you point to as you sat down in that barber's chair and he spread that cape over your shoulders?...

389c028904bb3d4689977fd52f394460.jpg

• Like 1

It was a more innocent time when one could call a haircut a

butch style. I didn't realize there were so many variations on

the basic crew cut. That's what I got when my dad took me.

Later on I went with a side part. I remember there was a

product called butch wax which was used to keep the very

front of the hair vertical. That girl's too lipstick, we need to

get out the ol' butch wax.

It was a more innocent time when one could call a haircut a

butch style. I didn't realize there were so many variations on

the basic crew cut. That's what I got when my dad took me.

Later on I went with a side part. I remember there was a

product called butch wax which was used to keep the very

front of the hair vertical. That girl's too lipstick, we need to

get out the ol' butch wax.

Reminds me of this scene in a certain Coen Bros' flick...

giphy.gif

Excellent movie. Dapper Dan must have had one hell of an

ad agency to inspire such brand loyalty. I'm sure Dapper Dan

and butch wax had some ingredients in common, those of the

greasy kid's stuff kind.

• Like 1

So, tell us Vautrin.

Which of these nifty old styles did you point to as you sat down in that barber's chair and he spread that cape over your shoulders?...

Back then I'd go to a ye olde barber shoppe type place where the guy was the spittin' image of Dizzy Dean, the older version that we got to see on the Game of the Day. He was good at it and I always relish this truly great head massage he'd do just prior to the cut. I always got what in those early days was termed simply, a regular boy's haircut. I was too young for those fancy names up there but later on I did have a flat top. Disclosure: up until viewing that chart (one minute ago) I don't think I knew there was a difference in a crew cut and a flat top, ouch. It's difficult to be old and not know everything and worse not know something maybe I should know.

:(

• Like 2

So, tell us Vautrin.

Love this visual.

Ps- bottom row, next to the end guy: that a young Jiminey Glick?

• Like 2

MAN, I HATED them damned FLAT TOPS!  And the ones called "Brush-cuts".   My folks made me get them up until I was 14!

Even now, if I ever came across a whiff of BUTCH WAX, I'd probably break out into a cold sweat!

But, I knew a guy who when I met him( and he DID become my best friend)  was sporting one of those "Crew-cut with fenders" cuts.  And this was in 1965! 

There always seemed to be some difference in what was called a "regular" haircut, and what was known as just a "trim".  I used to laugh at my dad, who would look in a mirror and announce, "I'm getting a bit "shaggy".  I gotta go get a haircut."   and he'd leave and come back about 45 minutes later looking NO DIFFERENT!  :D

As for "brush-cuts", NObody looks good in them.  And didja ever notice, even up until the mid '70's or so, it was usually the CHUBBY kids whose parents made them get one?

Sepiatone

• Like 1

You watch too many ICE CUBE movies, man.  I can name at least THREE barber shops within a two to four minute drive from my house, and I live in a largely white populated area.  The one I go to is owned by a guy named SAL( for Salvatore) and in 15 years, NEVER saw a black guy in there.  What tickles ME about the place is.....his two sons are also barbers there, and THOSE guys are CUE-BALL BALD!  :D

And incidentally, all the "unisex" places I used to go to back in the '70's are all out of business.  They're GONE!

Sepiatone

I guess I live in a yuppie neighborhood.......In the old days, a lot of barber shops were known as tonsorial parlors. I addition to giving haircuts, they took your tonsils out.

I guess I live in a yuppie neighborhood.......In the old days, a lot of barber shops were known as tonsorial parlors. I addition to giving haircuts, they took your tonsils out.

Naw, the old time "Tonsorial parlors" just dressed and cut hair and offered shaves.  The word was a fancy way of saying it.  The word has Indo-European roots. 

MEDEIVAL barbers probably, among other gruesome  and barbarous acts, probably removed tonsils, among other things, but their places of practie WEREN'T called "Tonsorial Parlors"   In fact, I'd venture a guess as the origin of the word BARBER might have been based on the word "Barbarian".  At least based on most of the barbers I'VE delt with over the years!

Sepiatone

Naw, the old time "Tonsorial parlors" just dressed and cut hair and offered shaves.  The word was a fancy way of saying it.  The word has Indo-European roots. 

MEDEIVAL barbers probably, among other gruesome  and barbarous acts, probably removed tonsils, among other things, but their places of practie WEREN'T called "Tonsorial Parlors"   In fact, I'd venture a guess as the origin of the word BARBER might have been based on the word "Barbarian".  At least based on most of the barbers I'VE delt with over the years!

Sepiatone

So you don't believe the claims that the barber stripes originated from bloody rags being hung outside the barber shop after a "procedure"?

So, tell us Vautrin.

This is a great visual.  I like how they bothered to make minor distinctions between some of them.

• Like 1

So you don't believe the claims that the barber stripes originated from bloody rags being hung outside the barber shop after a "procedure"?

Well, I never said THAT.  Just that 19th century and turn of the 20th century "Tonsorial Parlors" never took out anybody's tonsils.

Evelyn Wood apparently isn't working for ya...;)

Sepiatone

Well, I never said THAT.  Just that 19th century and turn of the 20th century "Tonsorial Parlors" never took out anybody's tonsils.

Evelyn Wood apparently isn't working for ya... ;)

Sepiatone

No need to make it personal.  Just wondered what you thought of it.

Sepiatone

I've been cutting my own hair, once a week, for the last 6 years. I'm getting better. I may open my own shop-----"Down Goes Frazier's Tonsorial Parlor".