Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I think those are the only two states where attendants are mandatory.

Weird. I didn't think too much of it growing up, but when I made a visit

back it was strange. C'mon buddy, I'm in a hurry. They used to clean

your windshield too. I doubt they do that anymore.

I go to 2or 3 gasoline stations where they not only pump the gas and wipe the windows, they also checked the oil and put air in your tires.

That part of the 1950s-- I'm never giving up.

As the Mankman might say 'insert French military joke here.'

If there was a Free French garrison, it would have been

way out of my route home. You know how to drink Yoo-Hoo,

don't you? Just open your lips and swallow. That came out

sounding dirtier than I intended. :(

Whaddaya mean, "MIGHT say" here, Vautrin?!

Ben DID say just THAT after a showing of PATHS OF GLORY once a few years back, ya know!

(...and as I've mentioned before around here, THAT was very moment I remember warming to that man and started looking past that nasally voice of his)

I go to 2or 3 gasoline stations where they not only pump the gas and wipe the windows, they also checked the oil and put air in your tires.

That part of the 1950s-- I'm never giving up.

Sounds like an episode of The Twilight Zone. I remember when

each national gas chain gave away little things for the kiddies

to play with.

Whaddaya mean, "MIGHT say" here, Vautrin?!

Ben DID say just THAT after a showing of PATHS OF GLORY once a few years back, ya know!

(...and as I've mentioned before around here, THAT was very moment I remember warming to that man and started looking past that nasally voice of his)

I meant might in the sense of as Ed Norton might say 'Hey Ralphie boy,

pal o mine.'

Sounds like an episode of The Twilight Zone. I remember when

each national gas chain gave away little things for the kiddies

to play with.

No place I know of has done something like that for YEARS.  In fact, since all the "self service" began in the mid to late '70's, I haven't seen a "full service" gas station ANYWHERE 'round these parts.  But, even thought it WAS a "self-service" station, a MOBIL station( now long gone) did give away some kind of blue glass serving bowl with a plastic "fit tight" lid with the sale of a certain amount of gallons.  I still have the two I got there.  :)

Sepiatone

No place I know of has done something like that for YEARS. In fact, since all the "self service" began in the mid to late '70's, I haven't seen a "full service" gas station ANYWHERE 'round these parts. But, even thought it WAS a "self-service" station, a MOBIL station( now long gone) did give away some kind of blue glass serving bowl with a plastic "fit tight" lid with the sale of a certain amount of gallons. I still have the two I got there. :)

Sepiatone

Sep--

Check my post below and you can see what I said about my full-service gasoline stations. I have a choice of about a half-dozen of them where I live.

Also JC Penney's along with all the other beauty salons that I go to are frequented by men as well and they bring their little boys. You can check that out down below as well.

In 50 states and God only knows how many cities, you are going to see a lot of diversity in terms of service in commerce.

I was a child in the '50's growing up in NYC. My neighborhood had a store for fresh fruits and veggies, another store was the butcher shop, another was a fish store, another was a store for nuts, pickles, specialty food items, and of course a candy store on every corner.

Everything was fresh and delicious. In the 1960's an A&P moved into the neighborhood. Packaged meats, etc. As far as I'm concerned, food tasted better years ago, less processed, less chemicals.

I was a child in the '50's growing up in NYC. My neighborhood had a store for fresh fruits and veggies, another store was the butcher shop, another was a fish store, another was a store for nuts, pickles, specialty food items, and of course a candy store on every corner.

Everything was fresh and delicious. In the 1960's an A&P moved into the neighborhood. Packaged meats, etc. As far as I'm concerned, food tasted better years ago, less processed, less chemicals.

Lav, as a fellow Noo Yawkah (Long Island), I remember the A&P. Did you also have a Gristedes? (I don’t know if those stores still exist; the one in my childhood neighborhood is gone.)

No place I know of has done something like that for YEARS. In fact, since all the "self service" began in the mid to late '70's, I haven't seen a "full service" gas station ANYWHERE 'round these parts

They had full service stations in the mid-80s when I started driving (in NY), but it didn't last long...

Typically, in the '50s, a Jewish congregation would be formed when a lot of Jewish families moved in to an area, but they would not yet have a synagogue building. During the High Holidays they would rent a movie theatre or VFW post or some such building to hold services. I remember going to such places as a little kid. Somehow, the religious ambience was missing.....Religious classes would regularly be held in a member's basement.

Lav, as a fellow Noo Yawkah (Long Island), I remember the A&P. Did you also have a Gristedes? (I don’t know if those stores still exist; the one in my childhood neighborhood is gone.) Gristed's in the Bronx that I can think of at least not in my neighborhood. The only thing I remember that was excellent at the A&P was the Eight O'Clock Coffee, that was freshly gound there. When I worked in Manhattan and had my own apartment in Queens, I use to shop at Gristede's in Manhattan. More expensive, but the meats were excellent at the butcher counter. I be;ieve there are still Griestedes in Manhattan

No Gristedes in my neighborhood. When I worked in Manhattan and had my own apartment in Queens, I use to shop at Gristedes. I remember that it was a litttle more expensive and that the butcher counter was very good. I believe there are still Griestedes in Manhattan.

edit- I just looked them up and yes there are still Gristedes Markets in Manhattan. Interesting, the prices according to the website are not any different than anyone else's.

In my little town that I lived in Ma. there was 1 gas station that still had full service. Last year when I visited, it was still there and still full service.

• Like 1

In making the decision whether to purchase the butcher shop ,he was concerned about several things, but one of his concerns was not competiition from supermarkets. Correct?

Typically, in the '50s, a Jewish congregation would be formed when a lot of Jewish families moved in to an area, but they would not yet have a synagogue building. During the High Holidays they would rent a movie theatre or VFW post or some such building to hold services. I remember going to such places as a little kid. Somehow, the religious ambience was missing.....Religious classes would regularly be held in a member's basement.

So DGF ol' buddy, tell me.

Did YOUR Christmas as a kid back in the day resemble anything like Darlene Love sings about here?...

;)

In the South the first supermarkets were Piggly Wigglys, still around in many places.  The one in Driving Miss Daisy is very accurate.  In my town, the Pig was the only supermarket and was in a very long building, but over half of it was an Amoco station/garage. In late 60's A&P and then Red and White came to town.  That eventually ended the small mom and pop grocery stores.

The mom & pop my family used was two blocks from the high school.  Impressed my friends when I would go to the store, get some cash and charge it to my father's account.  didn't do it often and for small amounts.

In the South the first supermarkets were Piggly Wigglys, still around in many places.  The one in Driving Miss Daisy is very accurate.  In my town, the Pig was the only supermarket and was in a very long building, but over half of it was an Amoco station/garage. In late 60's A&P and then Red and White came to town.  That eventually ended the small mom and pop grocery stores.

The mom & pop my family used was two blocks from the high school.  Impressed my friends when I would go to the store, get some cash and charge it to my father's account.  didn't do it often and for small amounts.

Hey,  you answered a question I had and I didn't even have to ask.   A few days back Judge Judy mention going to the Piggly Wigglys and I wondered what she was talking about.   E.g. was this a store, a  market,  a fast food joint???

Now I know.  Thanks

Hey,  you answered a question I had and I didn't even have to ask.   A few days back Judge Judy mention going to the Piggly Wigglys and I wondered what she was talking about.   E.g. was this a store, a  market,  a fast food joint???

Now I know.  Thanks

Piggly Wiggly was a large grocery store in my area, like Von's etc. Probably a chain, but as that age I didn't get around enough to know whether there were others.

• Like 1

In making the decision whether to purchase the butcher shop ,he was concerned about several things, but one of his concerns was not competiition from supermarkets. Correct?

Obviously you're asking about Marty. I agree he wasn't as concerned as he probably should have been. He talked around the subject. I didn't live that far from Marty's neighborhood. I think Marty believed the loyalty of his customers and the personal service he would give his customers and fresh cuts of meats and specialty meats ( this was a very Italian neighborhood) would keep his customers coming back rather than shop at the supermarket. Only his cousin ( Jerry Paris) understood when telling Marty the negative points the competition Marty would be up against once the supermarkets moved into the neighborhood.

Eugenia: there is still a Gristede's in Greenwich Village, they are now owned by Shop Rite, so they carry that brand of goods. Only real grocery store for many in this neighborhood.

Shop Rite! Wow, I'm 9 years old again, lol!

Does anyone here remember Flako cupcake mix? And the Hershey's chocolate milk tin with the boy on one side and girl on the other? ;)

Piggly Wiggly was a large grocery store in my area, like Von's etc. Probably a chain, but as that age I didn't get around enough to know whether there were others.

It was, and is, a chain.  Began in Memphis TN in 1916 and was the first self-service grocery store.  Primarily in the South and Midwest.

It was, and is, a chain.  Began in Memphis TN in 1916 and was the first self-service grocery store.  Primarily in the South and Midwest.

Anyone remember the A&P?

My mother like to joke, "I'm going to the A and pee."

Anyone remember the A&P?

My mother like to joke, "I'm going to the A and pee."

We had one.  It was the second chain grocery in town.  It began as the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company.

Now I know why the floors were slick.

No place I know of has done something like that for YEARS.  In fact, since all the "self service" began in the mid to late '70's, I haven't seen a "full service" gas station ANYWHERE 'round these parts.  But, even thought it WAS a "self-service" station, a MOBIL station( now long gone) did give away some kind of blue glass serving bowl with a plastic "fit tight" lid with the sale of a certain amount of gallons.  I still have the two I got there.  :)

Sepiatone

Yes, the giveaways are long gone. I remember one giveaway was a

plastic pair of horseshoes that one could stick unto the rear bumper.

Not exactly green conscious.

My grandmother was a big A&P fan. She thought their coffee

was really good. I remember a new manager came into the

local Georgia Piggly Wiggly and put up flags and all kind

of patriotic stuff. Hard to tell if you were walking into a

grocery store or the VFW hall.

Yes, the giveaways are long gone. I remember one giveaway was a

plastic pair of horseshoes that one could stick unto the rear bumper.

Not exactly green conscious.

Yep, as the announcer of those old Gulf Oil television commercials used to say at the end of them...

"Give YOUR car an extra kick(clink, clink...the sound you hear as each horseshoe appeared on the rear bumper a shown car) in horsepower with Gulf No-Nox gasoline!"

Two-Different-Pair-Of-Gulf-Bumper-Sticke