• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My grandmother was a big A&P fan. She thought their coffee

was really good. I remember a new manager came into the

local Georgia Piggly Wiggly and put up flags and all kind

of patriotic stuff. Hard to tell if you were walking into a

grocery store or the VFW hall.

My mother went to Safeway and Kroger's-- but we had locally- owned supermarkets that everybody preferred and frequented more often.

The local A&P didn't impress my mother; she didn't think the products were very good.

I don't remember a Piggly Wiggly in the 1950s, but they're everywhere now.

Yep, as the announcer of those old Gulf Oil television commercials used to say at the end of them...

"Give YOUR car an extra kick(clink, clink...the sound you hear as each horseshoe appeared on the rear bumper a shown car) in horsepower with Gulf No-Nox gasoline!"

Two-Different-Pair-Of-Gulf-Bumper-Sticke

Those are the dinguses. I knew they were related to a slogan somehow,

but I didn't recall the details. My gas station Jets and Giants glasses were

a lot more durable and useful.

My mother went to Safeway and Kroger's-- but we had locally- owned supermarkets that everybody preferred and frequented more often.

The local A&P didn't impress my mother; she didn't think the products were very good.

I don't remember a Piggly Wiggly in the 1950s, but they're everywhere now.

For some reason, she was loyal to A&P for a long time.

I think we had one or two "family" supermarkets, but

I doubt they are still in business. Most people went to

Shop Rite or Pathmark or other big chains. PW has

been around for a while, but they have likely expanded

over the years. I don't think we have one here.

For some reason, she was loyal to A&P for a long time.

I think we had one or two "family" supermarkets, but

I doubt they are still in business. Most people went to

Shop Rite or Pathmark or other big chains. PW has

been around for a while, but they have likely expanded

over the years. I don't think we have one here.

I mentioned the A&P and the coffee yesterday in my post. It was freshly ground at the A&P and always smelled so delicious

Especially great when my mom used her Faberware percolator to make that great coffee. Other than the coffee though, my mom shopped at all the local little stores in our neighborhood. Butcher, the Fish Store, the Green Store as we called it ( fruits and veggies) the bakery the specialty store ( we called it the appetizing store, pickles, nuts. etc)

The only coffee that was as good as A&P's Eight O'Clock Coffee was Chock Full O'Nuts. When I'd be in Manhattan, the aroma of Chock Full O'Nuts and the coffee was delicious. There was a Chock Full O'Nuts in the city every few blocks it seemed. Really miss that.

The stuff in bags, Eight O'Clock and cans of Chock Full Nuts that are sold now can't compare to either coffee that we use to enjoy.

Wow great grocery store memories!

Grocery stores are one of the most "chain-ged" types of retail businesses in our lifetime. I have some fantastic promotional films advertising grocery store refrigerated fixtures from the early 60's, illustrating the move to "self service" grocery stores we have today.

I remember sitting in the cart when my Mother grocery shopped (circa 1964) and seeing the entire sides of beef hanging from huge hooks behind the glass windows of the butcher shop. I was fascinated and horrified at the same time. Seeing those carcasses hanging definitely assisted my upbringing as a vegetarian. I remember watching the butchers in blood soaked white aprons with huge cleavers chopping meat to smaller portions-ew. No need for slasher films back then!

I very much enjoy the new trend of directly buying food from the farmer/producer. Chains are convenient, but if you're lucky enough to have a decent grocery chain, they'll carry locally made items too.

When I travel the US, the local grocery store is always a destination, especially in the southern US. (mmm grits! scrapple! coffee milk!)

My favorite movie grocery scene is in DOUBLE INDEMNITY. Hand painted signs (!) that reads "Cand Beans". 

• Like 1

A LOT of old grocery chains are gone.  Some were regional, some nationwide.

Some of the more prevalent 'round my neck....

WRIGLEY'S----Now long gone, the building in LP went from the supermarket to an ABNER J. WOLF, then a BIG LOT, and now some kind of auto supply store.

A & P---the one in LP( which is for Lincoln Park, incidentally) well, the old building is still there and has long been the place used for the MOOSE LODGE.  The business moved to a new structure down the road that went from A & P to becoming a MURRAY'S auto store(now O'Reilly's) and when it closed there, they moved even further down Fort St. to the corner where my old elementary school used to be where they built another new structure.  After some years the chain went out of business and one of those discount SPARTAN FOODS  took over for another six or seven years, and they left, the structure razed and replaced with yet another one and is now currently a CVS drug store.

CHATHAM'S---A fairly good sized chain in Southeast MI, but closed up in the early '80's.  Was an ACO hardware until two years ago when ACE hardware took them over.  But that location was once, back when I was a kid, the location of...

NATIONAL FOODS---A grocery and supermarket chain that went out of business many moons ago.  My Mom used to work in their corporate headquarters  located in Soutwest Detroit, one street over from the old CADILLAC PLANT I used to work at.

I mentioned J.L. HUDSON'S, which also had a BUDGET STORE in LP that went out of business in my town in early '70's and was remodeled into a FARMER JACK supermarket that was there(and all over Southeast MI) until the late '90's-early 2000's.  The LP building is still there, but vacant.  Others have been repurposed by other businesses( one is a Powerhouse gym).  Farmr Jack was an arm of A & P.

We still have a KROGER in Lincoln Park, but most people 'round here either go to MEIJER'S or a nearby WAL-MART to buy heir groceries.  I don't really care for Kroger all that much.  The one here has a funky layout and it's hard to find what I need.  Plus, it's location on a major intersection makes getting into the parking lot and parking a major hassle.

Sepiatone

A LOT of old grocery chains are gone. Some were regional, some nationwide.

Some of the more prevalent 'round my neck....

WRIGLEY'S----Now long gone, the building in LP went from the supermarket to an ABNER J. WOLF, then a BIG LOT, and now some kind of auto supply store.

A & P---the one in LP( which is for Lincoln Park, incidentally) well, the old building is still there and has long been the place used for the MOOSE LODGE. The business moved to a new structure down the road that went from A & P to becoming a MURRAY'S auto store(now O'Reilly's) and when it closed there, they moved even further don Fort St. to the corner where my old elementary school used to be where they built anther new structure. After some years the chain went out of business and one of those discount SPARTAN FOODS took over for another six or seven years, and they left, the structure razed and replaced with yet another one and is now currently a CVS drug store.

CHATHAM'S---A fairly good sized chain in Southeast MI, but closed up in the early '80's. Was an ACO hardware until to years ago when ACE hardware took them over. But that location was once, back when I was a kid, the location of...

NATIONAL FOODS---A grocery and supermarket chain that went out of business many moons ago. My Mom used to work in their corporate headquarters located in Soutwest Detroit, one street over from the old CADILLAC PLANT I used to work at.

I mentioned J.L. HUDSON'S, which also had a BUDGET STORE in LP that went out of business in my town in early '70's and was remodeled into a FARMER JACK supermarket that was there(and all over Southeast MI) until the late '90's-early 2000's. The LP building is still there, but vacant. Others have been repurposed by other businesses( one is a Powerhouse gym). Farmr Jack was an arm of A & P.

We still have a KROGER in Lincoln Park, but most people 'round here either go to MEIJER'S or a nearby WAL-MART to buy heir groceries. I don't really care for Kroger all that much. The one here has a funky layout and it's hard to find what I need. Plus, it's location on a major intersection makes getting into the parking lot and parking a major hassle.

Sepiatone

In Kansas the biggest chain is a state family-owned supermarket group called Dillons. Dillons has merged with Kroger's in Kansas. Everyone goes to Walmart for this and that, but everyone buys most of their groceries at Dillon's, which is really Kroger's.

They have the pharmacies and they pump the gas too. By now they've run most of the local Grocers out of business-- But Walgreens and CVS are still competitive and fighting each other.

The Kroger here sells gas too, but YOU have to pump it.

I don't know about the Kroger's where you live, but here, I find their produce sections smaller than at Meijer's.  The PRICES higher, even their  "store brands".   They have good specials, but never for anything I need or use.  Even their DELI counter is comparatively paltry.  AND more expensive.

Sepiatone

Yes, the giveaways are long gone. I remember one giveaway was a

plastic pair of horseshoes that one could stick unto the rear bumper.

Not exactly green conscious.

Well as long as we are remembering "freebies" being given away who on this blog is able to remember Green Stamps?  Gads my mother collected those things and kept them in one of the cupboards and on rainy days she would get out the books and the stamps with a saucer of water and a sponge.  Guess who had to stick them in?   The books would be come huge (to quote the new President) so you would then have to put a rubber band around them. 

I cannot for the life of me remember how she redeemed them but I certainly remember sticking all those stamps.  Now day's its loyalty cards where you get a supposed "discount" on some items.  I like our cards because they also will knock off a few cents at the gas stations which the chain manages so that can be helpful.  I love this topic as each time I read a response it brings up a new memory.  Thanks GGGGerald

• Like 1

In Kansas the biggest chain is a state family-owned supermarket group called Dillons. Dillons has merged with Kroger's in Kansas. Everyone goes to Walmart for this and that, but everyone buys most of their groceries at Dillon's, which is really Kroger's.

They have the pharmacies and they pump the gas too. By now they've run most of the local Grocers out of business-- But Walgreens and CVS are still competitive and fighting each other.

You are all talking about the disappearance of supermarket chains. How about 5 &10's? Woolworth's, Kresge's, W.T Grant. All long gone.

You are all talking about the disappearance of supermarket chains. How about 5 &10's? Woolworth's, Kresge's, W.T Grant. All long gone.

VRRY.jpg

Firefly: Gentlemen...Chicolini here may talk like an idiot, and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you...He really is an idiot. I implore you! Send him back to his father and brothers, who are waiting for him with open arms in the penitentiary...I suggest that we give him ten years in Levenworth, or eleven years in Twelveworth!

Chicolini: I'll tell you what I do...I'll take five and ten in Woolworth!

(...now you HAD to know this kind'a talk would remind me of THIS, now didn't you?!) ;)

• Like 2

VRRY.jpg

Firefly: Gentlemen...Chicolini here may talk like an idiot, and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you...He really is an idiot. I implore you! Send him back to his father and brothers, who are waiting for him with open arms in the penitentiary...I suggest that we give him ten years in Levenworth, or eleven years in Twelveworth!

Chicolini: I'll tell you what I do...I'll take five and ten in Woolworth!

(...now you HAD to know this kind'a talk would remind me of THIS, now didn't you?!)

That line played a significant role in killing the chain.

That line played a significant role in killing the chain.

Are you sure it wasn't the pennies you could save by patronizing J.C. Penney instead?

(...to say nothing of all the nickels, dimes and quarters)

Are you sure it wasn't the pennies you could save by patronizing J.C. Penney instead?

There was a local Philly chain called DeChant's that bit the dust along with the others.....Incidentally, EJ Korvette's did NOT stand for "* Eight Jewish Korean War veterans", as popular parlance would have it.

• Like 1

There was a local Philly chain called DeChant's that bit the dust along with the others.....Incidentally, EJ Korvette's did NOT stand for "* Eight Jewish Korean War veterans", as popular parlance would have it.

Out in L.A. we had the May Company department store chain. Their flagship store was on Wilshire Blvd in the Fairfax area, and was built in 1939 in this streamline moderne style....

May_Co_Wilshire.jpg

...and just a block away or so from L.A.'s famed Farmer's Market.

AMPAS's new museum is presently being built on this spot...

academy-museum-2.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1

• Like 1

I mentioned the A&P and the coffee yesterday in my post. It was freshly ground at the A&P and always smelled so delicious

Especially great when my mom used her Faberware percolator to make that great coffee. Other than the coffee though, my mom shopped at all the local little stores in our neighborhood. Butcher, the Fish Store, the Green Store as we called it ( fruits and veggies) the bakery the specialty store ( we called it the appetizing store, pickles, nuts. etc)

The only coffee that was as good as A&P's Eight O'Clock Coffee was Chock Full O'Nuts. When I'd be in Manhattan, the aroma of Chock Full O'Nuts and the coffee was delicious. There was a Chock Full O'Nuts in the city every few blocks it seemed. Really miss that.

The stuff in bags, Eight O'Clock and cans of Chock Full Nuts that are sold now can't compare to either coffee that we use to enjoy.

Chock Full O'Nuts. That heavenly coffee. I was never much of a

coffee drinker so I didn't pay much attention to it, though I remember

the aroma. I do recall when stores had a large barrel of pickles that

customers would fish out and put in bags. Not exactly the most

sanitary way to do things.

Well as long as we are remembering "freebies" being given away who on this blog is able to remember Green Stamps?  Gads my mother collected those things and kept them in one of the cupboards and on rainy days she would get out the books and the stamps with a saucer of water and a sponge.  Guess who had to stick them in?   The books would be come huge (to quote the new President) so you would then have to put a rubber band around them. 

I cannot for the life of me remember how she redeemed them but I certainly remember sticking all those stamps.  Now day's its loyalty cards where you get a supposed "discount" on some items.  I like our cards because they also will knock off a few cents at the gas stations which the chain manages so that can be helpful.  I love this topic as each time I read a response it brings up a new memory.  Thanks GGGGerald

I think my mother collected green stamps, though in a rather

desultory manner. She wasn't into like some folks were at

the time.

Out in L.A. we had the May Company department store chain. Their flagship store was on Wilshire Blvd in the Fairfax area, and was built in 1939 in this streamline moderne style....

Where Jack Benny met his future wife, if his TV shows are correct.

Most merged into other companies.  Didn't Kresge's become K-Mart (now a part of Sears)?

We also had Gold Bond stamps.  They had a redemption store in the Charleston, SC about 60 miles away.  Still have the Samsonite attache case my mother got for my college graduation with her GB stamps.

I have some DVD's of Classic TV commercials.  Great to watch while on the treadmill as you can stop at any point and then resume next session.  Several commercials on Raleigh cigarettes and their coupons and some of the things you could get. 

By the way Gerald, this is a great thread. 

• Like 1

Where Jack Benny met his future wife, if his TV shows are correct.

Wow! So Jack met Mary there, ya say.

Never knew that, Cid. Or maybe because I haven't watched Jack's program for so many years now, I might have forgotten that anyway.

Ya know, now that I've just Wiki-ed Mary, it does indeed say in her wikipage bio that this was the case regarding their courtship. Here's what it says:

Three years later, aged 17, Sadie(Mary Livingstone's real given name) visited California with her family while Jack Benny was in the same town for a show. Still nursing a small crush on the comedian, Sadie went to the theater to re-introduce herself to him. As he approached her in a hallway, she smiled and said, "Hello, Mr. Benny, I'm..." But he curtly cut her off with a "hello" and continued on his way down the hall without pausing; she learned much later that when Benny was deep in thought about his work, it was nearly impossible to get his attention.

They met again a few years later — while she was said to be working as a lingerie salesgirl at a May Company department store in downtown Los Angeles — and the couple finally began dating. Invited on a double-date by a friend who had married Sadie's sister, Babe, Benny brought Sadie along to keep him company. This time, the couple clicked: Jack was finally smitten with Sadie and asked her on another date. She turned him down at first — she was seeing another young man — but Benny persisted. He visited her at the May Company almost daily and was reputed to buy so much ladies' hosiery from her that he helped her set a sales record; he also called her several times a day when on the road.

(...good memory here, Cid)

Wow! So Jack met Mary there, ya say.

Never knew that, Cid. Or maybe because I haven't watched Jack's program for so many years now, I might have forgotten that anyway.

Ya know, now that I've just Wiki-ed Mary, it does indeed say in her wikipage bio that this was the case regarding their courtship. Here's what it says:

Three years later, aged 17, Sadie(Mary Livingstone's real given name) visited California with her family while Jack Benny was in the same town for a show. Still nursing a small crush on the comedian, Sadie went to the theater to re-introduce herself to him. As he approached her in a hallway, she smiled and said, "Hello, Mr. Benny, I'm..." But he curtly cut her off with a "hello" and continued on his way down the hall without pausing; she learned much later that when Benny was deep in thought about his work, it was nearly impossible to get his attention.

They met again a few years later — while she was said to be working as a lingerie salesgirl at a May Company department store in downtown Los Angeles — and the couple finally began dating. Invited on a double-date by a friend who had married Sadie's sister, Babe, Benny brought Sadie along to keep him company. This time, the couple clicked: Jack was finally smitten with Sadie and asked her on another date. She turned him down at first — she was seeing another young man — but Benny persisted. He visited her at the May Company almost daily and was reputed to buy so much ladies' hosiery from her that he helped her set a sales record; he also called her several times a day when on the road.

(...good memory here, Cid)

Did she ever say to him, "Thanks for not ignoring me this time?"

Did she ever say to him, "Thanks for not ignoring me this time?"

Hmmm...I dunno, laffite. Wiki didn't say anything about THAT!

(...see?!...THIS is the problem with the Internet today...ya never get the WHOLE story!) ;)

Hmmm...I dunno, laffite. Wiki didn't say anything about THAT!

(...see?!...THIS is the problem with the Internet today...ya never get the WHOLE story!) ;)

Well, you can spruce up the story by editing that in. It might make a person smile. Remember facts don't mean anything anymore so even if you're fabricating there will be no spots on your soul. And someone, somewhere, may be smiling (maybe even two).

• Like 1

Well, you can spruce up the story by editing that in. It might make a person smile. Remember facts don't mean anything anymore so even if you're fabricating there will be no spots on your soul. And someone, somewhere, may be smiling (maybe even two).

In THIS case, truer words(those I took the liberty to place in bold lettering) were never SPOKEN, laffite ol' boy!

(...well, I guess not literally "spoken" per se, but typed into the Internet here, anyway)   ;)