Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

November 2016 Schedule

HoldenIsHere

It seems there's no thread in General Discussions about the November 2016 schedule so I'm starting one.

Here's the monthly schedule:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?ecid=subnavmonthschedule

Here are the links for the weekly schedules for the month of November:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-11-01

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-11-08

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-11-15

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-11-22

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-11-29

I'm happy to see that Michelangelo Antonioni's ZABRISKIE POINT has not been bumped from the November 19 schedule.

I had started a November thread a few months ago, then through some misunderstanding, it was merged into the SOTM November thread--so I'm happy that you've started a new discussion thread here.

Nov 1-6 are kind of a moot point since the days have already passed, but...

On November 1, I recorded Storm Warning.  It sounded interesting and it starred Ginger Rogers and Doris Day, two actresses who I like and would like to see more of their work.  I'm especially interested in seeing more of Day's dramatic work.

November 2, I recorded Brute Force during the Burt Lancaster birthday tribute.  I actually watched this film the other day.  It was pretty good and pretty violent for a 1947 film.  On this day, I also recorded the To Tell the Truth documentary about documentaries, but I haven't watched it yet.

November 3, I recorded the original version of The Man Who Knew Too Much with Peter Lorre.  I also recorded The Great McGinty as it was a Preston Sturges film that I haven't seen.

November 5, I recorded Coal Miner's Daughter.  I've seen this film before, once, but I wanted to watch it again.

---

Now the others I'm interested in:

(I think I have to use more discretion with my recording selections, my husband is making fun of me because my movies have caused the DVR to be at 89% full) 

11/7, The Best Man.  This Henry Fonda movie looks interesting.  I'm also considering Comrade X with Clark Gable and Hedy Lemarr.  

11/8 Toward the Unknown looks good.  It's a William Holden movie that I haven't seen.  Limelight, this Chaplin film was one I mentioned wanting to see in the "February schedule is up" thread.  It looks interesting.  Though, honestly, I just watched The Great Dictator and I'm not going to lie, a talking Charlie Chaplin is somewhat disconcerting. 

11/10  A whole bunch of Claude Rains movies.  I love Claude Rains.  I'm not a fan of horror, but The Invisible Man looks interesting.  I'm also curious about They Won't Forget and Saturday's Children.  

11/12 Brief Encounter.  This romantic film looks good.  I saw that it was on Criterion.  I'm a sucker for a romantic movie. 

11/18 Love With a Proper Stranger.  I've been wanting to see this Natalie Wood movie again.

11/20 A Millionaire For Christy.  This was a really fun comedy with Eleanor Parker and Fred MacMurray that I want to see again.

11/21 Eleanor Powell birthday tribute.  I want to see Lady Be Good, Ship Ahoy and Honolulu which I haven't seen yet.

11/25 Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice. I've been wanting to see this film again.

11/28 The Cobweb.  This movie seems rather notorious here on the boards--I feel like I need to see it.

• Like 2

Plenty of good things to see.  These are a couple entries scheduled on my DVR which I don't already have:

(all entries EST, not TCM time)

World On A Wire is coming up tonight.

Monday, November 07, 2016
2:00 AM - 6:00 AM

256 TCMHD

World on a Wire
A scientific project to predict the future has strange effects on those who work on it.
Rating: TV-MA Genre: Miniseries

Then tomorrow The Ear comes on.  It was shot in 1969, but not released until 1990.

Monday, November 07, 2016
3:45 PM - 5:30 PM

256 TCMHD

The Ear
A Czech official (Radoslav Brzobohatý) and his wife (Jirina Bohdalova) spend a night of Stalinist paranoia in their bugged home.
Movie Rating: NR
Star Rating: ***+
Movie Release Year: 1969
Genre: Suspense

11/18 Love With a Proper Stranger.  I've been wanting to see this Natalie Wood movie again.

That is my favorite Steve McQueen movie with the added bonus of fave Natalie Wood.

And I recorded THE GREAT MCGINTY too, for the same reason. Sturges films always just miss the mark for me, but I keep trying!

speedracer5--A few more to catch:

Nov. 15th--"Land of the Pharaohs" (1955)--Decent spectacle worth catching for Joan Collins' bitchy Nellifer, a Great revenge ending, and assorted absurdities along the way (a character named Senta is repeatedly called Santa (he looks nothing like Santa Claus).

Nov. 18th--"Cash McCall" (1960)--James Garner & Natalie Wood pairing that's buried in the early morning (5:30 a.m. EST)

Nov. 19th--The three Harry Palmer spy films in the same evening ("The Ipcress File", "Funeral in Berlin, and "Billion Dollar Brain" (1965, 1966, & 1967, respectively): "Zabriskie Point" (1970) has a knockout finale, but the preceding 90 minutes is a Trial to sit through.

Nov. 21st--"The Great Morgan" (1946)--Oddity that was never released in the U.S. consists of outtakes from MGM musicals and short subjects.

Nov. 23rd--Marx Bros. day, at night "The Sea Around Us" (1953), based on Rachel Carson's book--a TCM Premiere??

Nov. 15th--"Land of the Pharaohs" (1955)--Decent spectacle worth catching for Joan Collins' bitchy Nellifer, a Great revenge ending, and assorted absurdities along the way (a character named Senta is repeatedly called Santa (he looks nothing like Santa Claus).

Nov. 18th--"Cash McCall" (1960)--James Garner & Natalie Wood pairing that's buried in the early morning (5:30 a.m. EST)

Nov. 19th--The three Harry Palmer spy films in the same evening ("The Ipcress File", "Funeral in Berlin, and "Billion Dollar Brain" (1965, 1966, & 1967, respectively): "Zabriskie Point" (1970) has a knockout finale, but the preceding 90 minutes is a Trial to sit through.

Nov. 21st--"The Great Morgan" (1946)--Oddity that was never released in the U.S. consists of outtakes from MGM musicals and short subjects.

Nov. 23rd--Marx Bros. day, at night "The Sea Around Us" (1953), based on Rachel Carson's book--a TCM Premiere??

I had to look it up, but not to be confused with The Wheeler Dealers (1963) starring James Garner and Lee Remick.

• Like 1

I've seen Cash McCall.  The movie is pretty good, but poor Natalie Wood looks about 20 years older than her age due to the matronly hairstyle they've got her in.  The film on its own is good though.

I've also seen and own all the Marx Brothers films.  My favorites are Night at the Opera and Horse Feathers.  

The Great Morgan looks interesting.

• Like 1

I've seen Cash McCall.  The movie is pretty good, but poor Natalie Wood looks about 20 years older than her age due to the matronly hairstyle they've got her in.  The film on its own is good though.

Good to see I'm not the only one who didn't care for the  hairstyle they gave Natalie Wood in CASH MCCALL.

On the other hand, I love her hair in BOB & CAROL & TED & ALICE.

BobCarolTedAlice12.jpg\

Bob-and-Carol-and-Ted-and-Alice-natalie-

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see I'm not the only one who didn't care for the  hairstyle they gave Natalie Wood in CASH MCCALL.

On the other hand, I love her hair in BOB & CAROL & TED & ALICE.

BobCarolTedAlice12.jpg\

Bob-and-Carol-and-Ted-and-Alice-natalie-

I thought Natalie Wood was very pretty in Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice.  I like her with long hair.  Even in Rebel Without a Cause, where Natalie is a teenager, they've got her in the same type of curly hairstyle like she has in Cash McCall.  That hairstyle is not becoming on anyone, let alone a young woman who is in her teens-early twenties! 

Vivian Vance had that same matronly hairstyle for almost the entire run of I Love Lucy, until the last season when Ethel was allowed to have long hair and I thought Vance instantly looked at least ten years younger.  When Lucille Ball started wearing wigs in the 3rd episode of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, it was that matronly style that she'd have the remainder of her career.  When Ball changed her style from the signature Lucy bun, it made her look older, more her actual age. 

I thought Natalie Wood was very pretty in Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice.  I like her with long hair.  Even in Rebel Without a Cause, where Natalie is a teenager, they've got her in the same type of curly hairstyle like she has in Cash McCall.  That hairstyle is not becoming on anyone, let alone a young woman who is in her teens-early twenties! 

Vivian Vance had that same matronly hairstyle for almost the entire run of I Love Lucy, until the last season when Ethel was allowed to have long hair and I thought Vance instantly looked at least ten years younger.  When Lucille Ball started wearing wigs in the 3rd episode of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, it was that matronly style that she'd have the remainder of her career.  When Ball changed her style from the signature Lucy bun, it made her look older, more her actual age. 

I read that when Lucille Ball asked Vivian Vance join her as the co-star of THE LUCY SHOW one of her requirements was that she be given a more flattering hairstyle and wardrobe than the she'd had as Ethel Mertz on I LOVE LUCY. She also insisted on her character being named Vivian.   

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings