Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jaragon

" Poltergeist" Remake

I usually don't have a problem with remakes they are simply a Hollywood tradition; but recently they are just doing them for money.  " The Evil Dead" remake was nothing like the original but at least director Fede Alvarez knows how to created horror and suspense.  The 2015 remake is "Poltergeist" is terrible- missing all the elements that made the 1982 film a classic.

I usually don't have a problem with remakes they are simply a Hollywood tradition; but recently they are just doing them for money.  " The Evil Dead" remake was nothing like the original but at least director Fede Alvarez knows how to created horror and suspense.  The 2015 remake is "Poltergeist" is terrible- missing all the elements that made the 1982 film a classic.

So in the good old days what was the reason for a remake?   Sorry but it was MONEY.    In fact it was more about money in the studio-system days.    The studio already had the rights to the original source material, as well as the screenplay used for the prior version.    These factors reduced the cost of making another version. 

JJG- don't you also think remakes were vehicles for stars they were promoting? I mean, back in the studio system days.

An updated script for a previous hit would provide a potential star a proven vehicle for audiences to get acquainted with them. Similarly as what happened with 20th Century Fox with Betty Grable taking over cookie cutter projects Alice Faye rejected.

Remakes THESE days are just laziness. The backers are just too afraid to invest in anything that seems "chancy". I look at it the opposite way, audiences are TIRED of seeing the same thing over & over.

• Like 2

JJG- don't you also think remakes were vehicles for stars they were promoting? I mean, back in the studio system days.

An updated script for a previous hit would provide a potential star a proven vehicle for audiences to get acquainted with them. Similarly as what happened with 20th Century Fox with Betty Grable taking over cookie cutter projects Alice Faye rejected.

Remakes THESE days are just laziness. The backers are just too afraid to invest in anything that seems "chancy". I look at it the opposite way, audiences are TIRED of seeing the same thing over & over.

Yes,  during the studio-era producers would cast rising stars in remakes to promote them.    But isn't that being lazy as well as cheap?

Those remakes cost a lot less to produce than new material.     Therefore I agree with you but it just makes my point that remakes have always been mostly about money.   (in this case spending less money and getting a film out quickly to promote a rising star).

But isn't that being lazy as well as cheap?

Yup. Lazy & cheap.

Guess that works for business, but stinks for "art"

I see there was even a POLTERGEIST television show some time back. COMET TV is showing re-runs. Talk about beating a dead horse.

Lazy is what this film felt like