Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So what do you think of FilmStruck?

slaytonf

Aside from thinking they might have come up with a better name.

First impressions from skimming the catalog:

1.  Eclectic selection of movies, from all times, and places.

2.  Not a huge selection, but quite a number of titles I'm not familiar with.

3.  WR:  Mysteries of the Organism is a comedy?

4.  Lots of usual suspects, including Kurosawa, Bergman, Fellini, Ozawa.  But no Satyajit Ray?

5.  Some surprises:  Mike Leigh.  Bondarchuck's War and Piece, Bernard's Les Miserables.  And Fantastic Planet?  Golly.

6.  Lots of missing-in-action.

The questions I have:  Are the FilmStruck and Criterion catalogs rotating?  Or will the number of titles grow?

• Like 1

Just bumping the thread, now that I had to go through a free trial (before plugging it on my blog);

With not much TCM contribution at the moment, it seems to be pretty much ALL Criterion Catalog, and the only difference between $6.99 and 10.99 is getting some of the Criterion Channel, and getting all of What Used To Be On Hulu.

Still, what used to be on Hulu wasn't bad,so I may stick with the free trial, or take a vacation until they come out with the PS3 App.  It was hard enough watching Warner Instant Archive movies on just a tablet or desktop.

Interestingly, perusing the Criterion catalog brought up a few surprises:
Mad Max (the original), Ralph Bakshi's "Fire & Ice", Fritz Lang's two silent Nibelungen epics, Shakespeare in Love, and On a Clear Day You Can See Forever--which were all owned by other studios, and except for Max, fell out of print--now seem to be on the Criterion Channel for some reason.

Early hint of '17 Blu-rays to come?   B)

Aside from thinking they might have come up with a better name.

First impressions from skimming the catalog:

1.  Eclectic selection of movies, from all times, and places.

2.  Not a huge selection, but quite a number of titles I'm not familiar with.

3.  WR:  Mysteries of the Organism is a comedy?

4.  Lots of usual suspects, including Kurosawa, Bergman, Fellini, Ozawa.  But no Satyajit Ray?

5.  Some surprises:  Mike Leigh.  Bondarchuck's War and Piece, Bernard's Les Miserables.  And Fantastic Planet?  Golly.

6.  Lots of missing-in-action.

The questions I have:  Are the FilmStruck and Criterion catalogs rotating?  Or will the number of titles grow?

Ray's Apu Trilogy was missing from Hulu's Criterion selection, as well as pasolini's Trilogy of Life, Fellini's Nights of Cabiria, Brando's One Eyed Jacks, Some of Altman's films, lots of Buñuel's films, etc.  

I want to know whether the titles will be rotating or growing too.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings