Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Not quite Triumph of the Will but ...

sewhite2000

Right now, TCM is showing a chapter in its documentary series about documentaries (if that makes sense), this week's chapter focusing on WWII propaganda films. I've said in multiple previous threads that TCM really should show Triumph of the Will, given its importance. I don't know if they've shied away from it because of rights issues or just because they fear backlash for showing a Nazi propaganda film (TCM has shown Olympia before, but it's been 15 years!). Anyway, at least you can see some scenes from Triumph tonight in the documentary.

I thought the film about the attack on Pearl Harbor was kind of interesting, with Walter Huston as Uncle Sam, and Harry Davenport as his conscience.  But I took exception that they forwarded the idea that the attack was part of Japan's master plan for world domination when in fact, it was in retaliation for the heavy embargo The U.S. placed on the same oil and steel we'd been selling them for YEARS.  And that embargo was in response to the horrifying atrocities the Japanese did to the Chinese during their invasion of Shanghai.  Atrocities so heinous  that even NAZI GERMANY shuddered in horror at them.

It also never mentioned that Pearl Harbor was NOT the ONLY target that day.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings