Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Appointments - Trump's Swamp

13 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I'd love to be able to read that, but the site won't allow it unless I pay. More and more of these linked stories are unreadable, either behind pay walls or disabled for ad blockers.

Go to your Internet History and click the "clear browsing data." It should then say "clear cookies and other site data" and then click that. Then you can view the article. 

• Thanks 1

Excerpt-

My colleague Ruth Marcus writes: “The acting attorney general of the United States is a crackpot.”

As though that’s a bad thing.

Which it isn’t.

The “crackpot” bit is not in dispute. In addition to his exotic legal views and his lack of relevant experience, Matthew G. Whitaker was already known to have hawked hot-tub seats for a business that shut down this year after reaching a $26 million settlement with the Federal Trade Commission for defrauding customers. But that’s just the beginning of the crackpottery.

During the current U.S. attorney general’s time on the company’s advisory board, from 2014 onward, World Patent Marketing:

● Claimed that “DNA evidence collected in 2013 proves that Bigfoot does exist,” had a website selling Bigfoot paraphernalia and planned a celebrity event called “You Have Been Squatched!

Asserted that “time travel” could be “possible, perhaps within the next decade” and tried to raise money using bitcoin for time-travel research by one of Whitaker’s fellow board members. The company suggested users might “relive moments from your past” or “visit your future.”

Announced, in the same media release heralding Whitaker’s appointment to the board, a patent application for an extra-deep “masculine toilet” for the well-endowed. Specifying the size of “average male genitalia,” the release said “this invention is designed for those of us who measure longer than that.”

• Haha 4

:blink:

Walter ShaubVerified account @waltshaub

This is an outrage. DOJ’s refusing to release Whitaker’s financial disclosure form is illegal, unheard of, and highly suspicious....

Bear in mind that DOJ is legally required to release these reports no later than 30 days after their filing

— whether or not DOJ has finished reviewing them.

This means either Whitaker failed to file (illegal) or DOJ is determined to hide them from you (illegal).

What is DOJ hiding?

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

Pure speculation, but it made the newspapers.  Talk of Nikki Haley being Trump's VP for 2022 elections.  Supposed to appeal to the female voters.

Of course you meant 2020.   Don't know if Haley would help with women voters on a Trump ticket since,  well Trump will find many additional ways to insult women by the election.

I still say that Trump will be challenged in the GOP primary and that if the Mueller outcome shows that 'Russian-gate' wasn't a hoax,   that the odds are around 50 \ 50 that he will lose and then run as an Independent. 

It would be interesting is Sander and Trump both run as Independents with both parties running more establishment type candidates.     No one gets 270 and the Dem controlled House decides the outcome.  (but yea,  all of this is pure speculation if not wishful thinking).

17 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Trump will find many additional ways to insult women by the election

You really think that sort of thing matters much?

The Media tries to push it as a big deal to people, but I don't think many are actually affected, vote-wise. Trump "insults" are pretty much just entertainment for everyone outside of the extreme hater segment.

8 hours ago, darkblue said:

The Media tries to push it as a big deal to people, but I don't think many are actually affected, vote-wise. Trump "insults" are pretty much just entertainment for everyone outside of the extreme hater segment.

Yeah, as much as that infuriates the media talking heads, I think it endears him to many of the working people. Plus the Democrats are currently in such disarray that I think it's very likely that Trump will get a second term. 

14 hours ago, darkblue said:

It was a decisive issue in the very close races that the Dems took in House races.  As well as in some others.  It does endear him to his base and the baser elements of Republican supporters.  But it appears it is another factor in his losing support from the more intelligent, less extreme normally Republican supporters.

The suburbs have always been an area that is hard to pin to one party or the other.  This is where he and the GOPers lost the most this time around.

I know a lot of older, white very Trump supporters who wish he would just shut up.  They no longer defend him in conversations.  They will still vote for him, but the less convicted will be turned to an alternative.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Of course you meant 2020.   Don't know if Haley would help with women voters on a Trump ticket since,  well Trump will find many additional ways to insult women by the election.

I still say that Trump will be challenged in the GOP primary and that if the Mueller outcome shows that 'Russian-gate' wasn't a hoax,   that the odds are around 50 \ 50 that he will lose and then run as an Independent. 

It would be interesting is Sander and Trump both run as Independents with both parties running more establishment type candidates.     No one gets 270 and the Dem controlled House decides the outcome.  (but yea,  all of this is pure speculation if not wishful thinking).

Yes, did mean 2020.  I doubt Trump will be challenged in the primaries, at least not seriously.  The leading candidates learned that lesson in 2016.  Unless of course, the RNC comes up with a different way to award delegates.

Regardless, I see him running as the GOP nominee in 2020.  If the Dems can pull it together and field a good candidate (big lift for them), they could win.  The problem is the Electoral College which is based on state vote totals (except for a few states).  As the last elections showed, the GOPers still did well state-wide, but some serious problems in Midwest, Southwest, rust belt, etc. showed up.

If Trump is not nominated, I doubt he would run as an independent.  He would have to put to much of his own money into it.  Of course, he could do it as a spoiler just to keep the GOP candidate from winning.

One aspect of 2020 is the large number of GOP senators who will be up for re-election and those are state-wide races.  Will they and Trump be supportive of each other in the voting or harmful?

It was a decisive issue in the very close races that the Dems took in House race

I believe the term is the decisive issue, not a decisive issue. 

So, if you're saying it was the decisive issue, I say "says you".

22 hours ago, darkblue said:

I believe the term is the decisive issue, not a decisive issue. 

So, if you're saying it was the decisive issue, I say "says you".

And most of the objective experts who reviewed the election results.  Once again, the man from Canada has shown his lack of understanding of the US political and election realities.

A or the is not really relevant in this case.  I would go with The in this case, but considering all the issues, there could be a grouping of issues that when added together become decisive.

And most of the objective experts who reviewed the election results.  Once again, the man from Canada has shown his lack of understanding of the US political and election realities.

And once again we're reminded of how some old dogs just can't learn anything new.

• 2 weeks later...

Lawmakers call for investigation of Labor Secretary Acosta after scathing report

"Democratic group of lawmakers is calling for a Justice Department investigation into Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta after a scathing report revealed decade-old allegations that he granted an alleged serial pedophile the “deal of a lifetime’’ while serving as a U.S. attorney in South Florida.

The still-growing group, led by Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla., called on Inspector General Michael Horowitz to investigate Acosta's role in a plea deal for Jeffrey Epstein, a multimillionaire financier....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/11/30/lawmakers-labor-secretary-alexander-acosta-should-investigated/2156355002/

Mimi RocahVerified account @Mimirocah1 9h9 hours ago

I worked on many child sex trafficking cases as a Fed Prosecutor.

Epstein ran a child sex trafficking ring.

We vigorously pursued these cases & gave breaks only in rare cases, with victim consult.

Why wasn’t that done here? Congress should demand @JusticeOIG find out. @MSNBC @CNN

Victims of sex offender Jeffrey Epstein have one more shot at justice

Victims of politically connected sex offender Jeffrey Epstein still have a chance at getting controversial non-prosecution agreement thrown out

........ A pending suit by some of Epstein's accusers in federal court in Florida is aimed at voiding a non-prosecution agreement that was signed off on by then-U.S. Attorney for Southern Florida Alexander Acosta — arguing that the deal was illegal because dozens of Epstein's victims were never told about it. ......

- one of the conditions of Epstein's state plea was an agreement that federal prosecutors would not prosecute the moneyman or "any potential co-conspirators" — the people who recruited high school girls for his thrice-daily "massages."

The secret agreement also required Epstein to register as a sex offender, and to "provide compensation to approximately forty girls who he had sexually abused," the victims' lawyers said in court papers.

A Miami Herald investigation last week put the actual number of victims at 80.

The lawsuit has exposed the lengths to which prosecutors bent over backwards to accommodate Epstein,........

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/victims-sex-offender-jeffrey-epstein-have-one-more-shot-justice-n943841?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

:unsure:

Morning Mix
Heather Nauert cited D-Day as the height of U.S.-German relations. Now she’s headed to the U.N.
The appointment would solidify the symbiotic relationship between Fox News and the Trump administration and further transform the president's foreign policy into an instrument of branding in line with his “America First” agenda.
By Isaac Stanley-Becker  •  Read more »
  097749b9b0917d650aadb094b60c3fbf-320-0-70-8-TYAJ5OPDQVCLHECUKMFCDQH5RQ.jpg

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:
Morning Mix
Heather Nauert cited D-Day as the height of U.S.-German relations. Now she’s headed to the U.N.
The appointment would solidify the symbiotic relationship between Fox News and the Trump administration and further transform the president's foreign policy into an instrument of branding in line with his “America First” agenda.
By Isaac Stanley-Becker  •  Read more »
  097749b9b0917d650aadb094b60c3fbf-320-0-70-8-TYAJ5OPDQVCLHECUKMFCDQH5RQ.jpg

“Tomorrow is the anniversary of the D-Day invasion. We obviously have a very long history with the government of Germany, and we have a strong relationship with the government.”  Heather Nauret.

She does know we fought a war against Germany doesn't she?  Another ill-informed, poorly educated incompetent for the Trump team.

• Haha 1

Trump's new favorite general

'We are the only military in the world ... that does not take an oath to a king, a queen, a dictator, a president,' Army Gen. Mark Milley, tapped to be the new chairman of the Joint Chiefs, said earlier this year.

........As a one-star general in Afghanistan a decade ago, Milley was so eager to visit his troops in dangerous battle zones that his superior put limits on his travel. “He couldn’t go any further forward than my battalion headquarters when he visited,” recalled Col. Bill Ostlund, who currently director of military instruction at the U.S. Military Aacademy at West Point.

Milley also has a reputation for a powerful intellect: In addition to earning the green beret of the Special Forces, he holds degrees from Princeton and Columbia Universities.

Here's a snapshot of what’s important to him and his positions on some key policy issues — drawn from recent speeches and congressional testimony – and some of that blunt talk his fellow troops are so familiar with:.....

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/08/trump-favorite-general-mark-milley-joint-chiefs-chairman-1052227

:unsure: