Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

The Appointments - Trump's Swamp

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I wonder what effect on voters these former Trump hires have.    Likely very little.

Yes, I doubt that they have an effect on other Trump voters.  But they could be a barometer of Trump "loyal" supporters who are abandoning him as they don't wish to be enablers any longer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Yes, I doubt that they have an effect on other Trump voters.  But they could be a barometer of Trump "loyal" supporters who are abandoning him as they don't wish to be enablers any longer.

Well, I don't know if anybody who supported him or worked for him really cared about enabling his bigoted racist policies.

What I think they're concerned about now is their own personal future, and how they will be received and perceived by others once this ugly chapter in American history is over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Well, I don't know if anybody who supported [Trump] or worked for him really cared about enabling his bigoted racist policies.

What I think they're concerned about now is their own personal future, and how they will be received and perceived by others once this ugly chapter in American history is over.

Good point.

Cuccinelli & Trump’s hardline push on immigration

Politics Jun 12, 2019 5:38 PM EDT

President Donald Trump’s selection of former Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli to head U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has added another senior-level immigration hardliner to the administration — the latest move by the president to surround himself with more people who share his views on who should enter the country and what’s happening at the southern border.

The president chose Kevin McAleenan, who as commissioner of Customs and Border Protection oversaw the Trump administration’s practice of separating migrant children from their families, as acting head of the Department of Homeland Security in April. McAleenan replaced Kirstjen Nielsen, with whom Trump had reportedly lost favor after she pushed back against some of his more extreme ideas..........

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/what-ken-cuccinelli-brings-to-trumps-hardline-push-on-immigration

• Sad 1

Cuccinelli, The New Stephen Miller-

In Ken Cuccinelli, President Trump’s biggest immigration hard-liner has found the consummate ideological ally.

....... The former Virginia attorney general joined the Trump administration in late May.

His background includes trying to eliminate birthright citizenship, questioning whether Barack Obama was born in the United States, and proposing to make speaking Spanish on the job a fireable offense.

Accordingly, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell advised the president against nominating Cuccinelli to any post that required Senate confirmation. To some, Cuccinelli’s arrival meant that Miller had, at long last, found the consummate ideological ally.....

He’s spent decades advocating for far-right positions on a variety of social issues, and the 50-year-old practicing Catholic enjoys widespread support among conservative evangelicals. Cuccinelli used his 2013 loss to Terry McAuliffe in the Virginia gubernatorial race to reinvent himself as a conservative pundit, and for the past few years has offered a reliably pro-Trump perspective across cable networks (a bonus for anyone seeking this president’s favor). As someone who built much of his popularity on polarizing immigration policies and incendiary rhetoric, ...

The public-charge rule is in many ways the result of this administration’s inability to enact its desired “merit-based” immigration laws through Congress.

With Trump’s first term nearing its conclusion and Congress impossibly gridlocked, many more such crackdowns on immigration—both legal and illegal—are likely to originate in the executive branch. ......

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/08/who-is-ken-cuccinelli/596083/?utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_content=5d5766d16f0c9700014b5627_ta&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0XZPyKUx630ra0lrRtthXSaE6bSCnpDV27CLSJGAm852NQceurge7aBfc

• Sad 1

Mike Pompeo, the Secretary of Trump

How he became a heartland evangelical—and the President’s most loyal soldier.

......"There will never be any daylight publicly between him and Trump.” The former official said that, in private, too, Pompeo is “among the most sycophantic and obsequious people around Trump.” Even more bluntly, a former American ambassador told me, “He’s like a heat-seeking missile for Trump’s ****.”

Pompeo’s transformation reflects the larger story of how the Republican Party went from disdaining Trump to embracing him with barely a murmur of dissent......

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/08/26/mike-pompeo-the-secretary-of-trump

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Pompeo’s transformation reflects the larger story of how the Republican Party went from disdaining Trump to embracing him with barely a murmur of dissent......

This statement is bogus;   There was and still is a lot of dissent from GOP politicians towards Trump.    

What is said about Pompeo is true (this guy is a religious nut-case),  but the 'larger story' isn't how the GOP is embracing Trump (since that just isn't true when compared to how the GOP has 'embraced' prior GOP Presidents), but instead how the evangelical wing of the GOP has embraced Trump (starting with Pence of course).

9 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

This statement is bogus;   There was and still is a lot of dissent from GOP politicians towards Trump.    

What is said about Pompeo is true (this guy is a religious nut-case),  but the 'larger story' isn't how the GOP is embracing Trump (since that just isn't true when compared to how the GOP has 'embraced' prior GOP Presidents), but instead how the evangelical wing of the GOP has embraced Trump (starting with Pence of course).

How many elected GOP politicians presently serving in government are openly against Donald Trump?  As far as I can tell almost all are currently enabling him and not offering any voice of opposition.  I think that was the point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

How many elected GOP politicians presently serving in government are openly against Donald Trump?  As far as I can tell almost all are currently enabling him and not offering any voice of opposition.  I think that was the point.

Yes, the only ones who have really voiced opposition or disapproval have been those who are leaving office or leaving the Republican party. I can't think of any Republicans with something to lose standing in opposition to Trump beyond the mildest of protests ("It sure would be nice if he could tone down the tweets and stuff, but...of well").

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Yes, the only ones who have really voiced opposition or disapproval have been those who are leaving office or leaving the Republican party. I can't think of any Republicans with something to lose standing in opposition to Trump beyond the mildest of protests ("It sure would be nice if he could tone down the tweets and stuff, but...of well").

Nationally speaking, there are very, very few GOPers who openly oppose Trump's actions or statements.  Of course, two years after he leaves office, it will be another story.

Historically, the Republican Party has been far more supportive of their presidents than the Dems.  It has gotten worse with each new GOP president.  They practically made a god out of Reagan who was not near as good as GOP portrays him.

The root of the problem may be the US primary system.  The people who vote in GOP primaries are very much still pro-Trump.  So, oppose or question Trump at your own peril.

47 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Historically, the Republican Party has been far more supportive of their presidents than the Dems.  It has gotten worse with each new GOP president.

True.   But hasn't there been far more negative comments from GOP politicians towards Trump than there was against any of the past 4 or so GOP Presidents?     

Larry is correct that most of the dissent from big-league GOP politicians has come from those not seeking re-election in 2020,  with most of the rest from former WH staffers.     (and if the mooch is right,  a lot more of that is too come).

19 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

True.   But hasn't there been far more negative comments from GOP politicians towards Trump than there was against any of the past 4 or so GOP Presidents?     

Larry is correct that most of the dissent from big-league GOP politicians has come from those not seeking re-election in 2020,  with most of the rest from former WH staffers.     (and if the mooch is right,  a lot more of that is too come).

While there have been far more negative comments from GOPers about Trump, that is because there has never been a president from either party before such as Trump.  He is by far the most ignorant, incompetent, insensitive, mean, immoral, ad infinitum of ANY president in US history.

BUT, the people who voted for him in 2016 are very likely to vote for him again regardless of what other GOPers say, depending on who the Dem nominee is.

• Thanks 1

Well if has gotten rid of most of only the best people, he has continued to hire less and less better people.  What a joke this presidency is, starting at the top!

• Haha 1

Bolton was scheduled for two Sunday shows on Aug. 25 from the G7.

He backed out, and admin officials sent word to one another

it was because he didn’t want to defend Trump on Russia/G7 and Afghanistan.

Bolton aides/Mulvaney allies spent days trying to keep it from being reported.
  • Haha 2

John Bolton Will Hold This Grudge

His dismissal by tweet came after an unusually long prelude of disrespect, both by President Trump and by favored allies.

....“I disagreed strongly with many of his suggestions, as did others in the Administration,” Trump tweeted after firing Bolton and before thanking him for his service.

Bolton, in his own tweet minutes later, sounded stunned: “I offered to resign last night and President Trump said, ‘Let’s talk about it tomorrow’”

—implying that Trump’s tweet amounted to saying, “You can’t quit—you’re fired!” .......

Bolton thinks that self-described enemies of the United States—especially nuclear proliferators such as North Korea and Iran—should be punished, rather than rewarded; that friendship with such regimes is dangerous and dishonorable; and that willingness to project American military force is a necessary precondition of lasting peace.

Trump, we now know definitively, disagrees with each of these propositions. He will happily strike deals, and his proposed move in North Korea is to lure Kim with visions of condominiums and resorts overlooking the Yellow Sea.

...... With Bolton gone, the Trump administration is now almost free of influence and advice from the old Republican Party. Neither the so-called neoconservative wing of the party, which had influence under George W. Bush, nor the Cold War Republicans, who held power before him and of whom Bolton is a late example, remain, .....

Bolton’s dismissal has come after an unusually long prelude of disrespect, both by Trump and by favored allies such as Carlson. And the tweet itself must sting. Obviously it was intended to.

Bolton might not observe the same period of silence. In talking to his former associates, I heard many marvel at his energy. He wakes up before dawn to plot against his adversaries. He accepts every invitation to write op-eds and go on television to ridicule those who disagree with him. Trump has, in firing Bolton, made an enemy of a man incapable of rest and letting grudges go. .........

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/09/john-bolton-hold-grudge/597793/?utm_source=twitter&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_term=2019-09-10T19%3A02%3A24

:unsure:

• Thanks 1

"John Bolton made some very big mistakes"  says the President who has never made one in his life. :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

"John Bolton made some very big mistakes"  says the President who has never made one in his life. :lol:

Hannity had Bolton on a lot (before and after his role under Trump),  with Hannity always licking Bolton's boots.

So will Hannity have Bolton on now?     I'm sure Trump has asked him not to,  so Hannity is stuck between these two clowns.   It would be very entertaining to see Bolton criticize Trump and for Hannity to defend Trump, for Bolton to push-back, etc....   too see these two 'buddies' go at on live T.V.  (since Hannity will defend all-things-Trump).

PS:  Bolton worked for Fox when Trump hired him.     I'm looking forward to him going back.     Bolton isn't known for holding-back and he has a lot to say about Trump's handling of foreign affairs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, mr6666 said:

Just keep this in mind:

John Bolton was fired for being

***insufficiently pro-Taliban.***

<_<

POTUS considered Bolton *Insufficiently pro-Taliban

*Insufficiently pro-North Korea

*Insufficiently pro-Russia

*Insufficiently pro-Iranian

Trump wanted to play “Let’s Make A Deal” with those who hate America the most.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Trump is said to be looking at 5 qualified people to replace John Bolton: Sleepy, Sneezy, Dopey, Happy and Grumpy.

• Haha 1