Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Leonard Cohen Obituary

Boris Lermontov

According to his son who produced his last album, Cohen's death was imminent. Truly a treasure, there was no one else like him.

(although there would be no Nick Cave or Tom Waits if Leonard Cohen didn't brilliantly pave the way)

PS your link doesn't werk

• Like 1

PS your link doesn't werk

Apparently, neither does your "spell check".  ;)

But it's kinda spooky.  I just saw an old rerun of an old "celebrity Family Feud" on BUZZZR in which Cohen was one of the contestants.

But it IS sad news, and I do hope his rest IS peaceful.

Sepiatone

So many legends in music have died this year, and now Leonard Cohen is added to the list.

This was a truly great poet and songwriter. I'm really saddened by this news. He'd just released a new album a few weeks ago - "You Want It Darker".  I wonder if he had some sense that he had little time left.

Respect and honour to this wonderful artist. We won't forget him.

I first heard of Leonard Cohen in 1969 when soap star Gene Bua recorded Suzanne on his debut album.  I know Noel Harrison had a hit with it but this is the one I remember most.  His lyrics were a bit too hard for a still somewhat straight arrow like me to get but nobody could deny his talent for expressing his views.  I appreciate him much more now.  RIP, Sir.

I remember listening to Suzanne, the Noel Harrison version, over and over again.

There are several Joni Mitchell songs inspired by her affair with Leonard Cohen, such as The Gallery, and, I believe, The Priest and Rainy Night House. The lyrics "You are a holy man, on the FM radio" from Rainy Night House certainly would fit Cohen.

A movie connection with Leonard Cohen: his song Everybody Knows is put to good use in Atom Egoyan's Exotica.

• Like 1

Cohen's music has been used many, many times in films and television. IMDb lists over 240 credits for his songs, from 1967 all the way to multiple titles in 2016. Besides the aforementioned titles from others' posts, I also recall the multiple songs of his used in the Natural Born Killers soundtrack. 

And Cohen also had the rare acting role, such as a French terrorist in an episode of Miami Vice back in 1986.

cohen-vice-3.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting that when other music legends died earlier this year, the obit thread about them went on for some time. But it seems there's not much reaction to the news of Leonard Cohen's death.

Maybe everyone's too stunned from the events of last week to think about much else at this time.

And speaking of last week's events, we all know that Mr. Trump's primary residence is in New York City.

So maybe this is an appropriate selection to celebrate Cohen's masterly marriage of music and lyrics:

• Like 2

Sure.  Many of us in HERE are saddened and shocked at the news, but maybe not a HUGE  amount.

When some people and some family members dropped by to visit my wife, I mentioned it, and the reaction from ALL of them was, "Who?"

Some "celebrity" deaths may only be those who had what could be classified as having "cult" appeal, and not all that well known to the overall general public. 

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings