Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Veterans Day

wouldbestar

Doesn't anybody know what today is?

I found a couple of beautiful clips for Veterans Day but couldn't get them to transfer over to this post.  I guess this will have to do.

Thank you to all veterans for helping this country stay the already great one that it is.  In many places the free election of this past week, as crazy as it seemed to some, could not have happened.  The protesters would be mowed down in the streets rather than be able to make their feelings known.  The checks and balances in place in our laws will ensure that this remains a free nation rather than a dictatorship as some fear.  This is because the veterans fought those who would change this for our allies and us; unlike those recognized on Memorial Day, they are still around to be honored and accept our gratitude. 

THANKS AGAIN!

(White on white doesn't show)

• Like 3

I mentioned in an "off-topic" thread about a friend of mine who was in the Air Force in the late '70's. and his discomfort these days at people, when finding out his military service saying "Thank you for your service", when all he did when he was there was be a FILE CLERK.

He feels the only veterans deserving any kind of "thanks" are the ones who actually DID any defending.  I agree.

I'd feel silly thanking a guy for his "service" only to find out he spent most of his four year hitch cleaning LATRINES at FT. BRAGG.

Sepiatone

I mentioned in an "off-topic" thread about a friend of mine who was in the Air Force in the late '70's. and his discomfort these days at people, when finding out his military service saying "Thank you for your service", when all he did when he was there was be a FILE CLERK.

He feels the only veterans deserving any kind of "thanks" are the ones who actually DID any defending.  I agree.

I'd feel silly thanking a guy for his "service" only to find out he spent most of his four year hitch cleaning LATRINES at FT. BRAGG.

Sepiatone

No one spends four years cleaning latrines at Ft. Bragg or anywhere else.  They didn't even spend a day doing it.  Done in addition to the normal duty day. 

Incidentally, the last time the military actually "defended"  US was in 1815.  Even in WW  II, the US itself was not threatened, even by Japan and much less by Germany.  They just wanted to keep us out of Pacific, Asia and Europe.  That was the purpose of subs off the coast and saboteurs.

The thanks is for serving and potentially being in harm's way.  Think IED's in Iraq and the "clerks" driving the vehicles that get blown up, nurses in Vietnam in hospitals that were attacked, etc.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings