Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Back From Eternity" 1956 starring Rod Steiger.....question

Debra Johnson

I'm watching this movie right now on TCM.  Admittedly, I tuned in an hour into the movie but I can't help but notices similarities to the tv show "Gilligan's Island"......anyone know if that show based on this movie?

Well there were seven castaways on that sitcom. BACK FROM ETERNITY is a remake of FIVE CAME BACK (meaning five didn't come back, and there were originally ten of them not seven). I agree the concept is similar, but the whole idea of people being stranded on an island is an old plot device that goes back to Shakespeare's The Tempest.

Gilligan's Island was based on Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison.

LOL

Actually Deb(wait...I'm still laughin' out loud at Fedya's post here...okay...sorry...I think I'm over it now...nope...not yet...okay...now where was I?...oh yeah) as you may know, BACK FROM ETERNITY was a remake of 1939's FIVE CAME BACK, and both of these films have a serious dramatic intent.

Now, the movie I THINK might have inspired Sherwood Schwartz to create his sitcom would be the romantic comedy titled THE LITTLE HUT (1957), and which starred Ava Gardner, David Niven and Stewart Granger.

I kinda thought the show was in a small way based on a movie I saw(DAMN! I forget the name or who was in it!) in which a group of shipwrecked castaways are led by one of them who seemed to know  a lot about survival in that situation, and manage to thrive solely on his wisdom and knowledge and look up to him as the leader, but by the end of the flick, when their rescue happens, it turns out they learn that he was a mere BUTLER for some rich fat cat who apparently didn't make it.

Sepiatone

I kinda thought the show was in a small way based on a movie I saw(DAMN! I forget the name or who was in it!) in which a group of shipwrecked castaways are led by one of them who seemed to know  a lot about survival in that situation, and manage to thrive solely on his wisdom and knowledge and look up to him as the leader, but by the end of the flick, when their rescue happens, it turns out they learn that he was a mere BUTLER for some rich fat cat who apparently didn't make it.

The Admirable Crichton, filmed in 1934 as We're Not Dressing w/ Bing Crosby and Carole Lombard, and as TAC w/ Kenneth More in 1958. IIRC this is the story Schwartz claimed inspired GI.

There is also another desert island film that bears an intriguing resemblance to a number of GI episodes: Mysterious Island (1961). With its steampunk tech and giant animals, it's very possible at least one of the GI writers saw it and took inspiration. Bob Denver himself in one interview admitted this was possible, though he never made an absolute claim for certain.

Sepiatone

Dang if you're not right here, Sepia! Yeah, that DOES ring a bell here.

It's a comedy, and it turns out the butler is the only one on the island who has any practical experience or knowledge, as so all the rest of survivors end up relying on him to lead and for survival. I recall the butler is played by somebody like Alan Mowbray or somethin'.

(...now what's the name of that flick?...anybody?!)

The Admirable Crichton, filmed in 1934 as We're Not Dressing w/ Bing Crosby and Carole Lombard, and as TAC w/ Kenneth More in 1958. IIRC this is the story Schwartz claimed inspired GI.

Aaaah...the good Doctor's got it here.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings