Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies that would be better without their ending.

'Red River'. Good Gawd, what a piece of **** ending.

Could'a been worse ya know, dark.

Word is Hawks actually filmed a scene that was suppose to be at the VERY end of this flick and in which AFTER Joanne Dru(she possessive of the second sexist overbite in all of Hollywood history after Gene Tierney) gets The Duke and Monte to cease their differences, they all sit around a campfire and sing..yeah, you guessed it..a rousing chorus of "Kumbaya".

(...and so count your blessings here, dude)

;)

In the original theatrical ending of "The Bad Seed", mother Penmark bought the farm and a fully recovered Rhoda was free to continue her charming little murder spree.

Unlike other fans of the play/movie, I absolutely adore the Deus ex machina denouement forced upon the film. It's delightfully wickedly funny, a fitting end for the little brat.

Yes, yes, YES!  I'm a big fan of the original William March novel, which is a more sober telling of the story than the film and warrants its darkly disturbing twist ending.  But the film is another beast entirely.  Between the high theatricality of the actresses' performances and the claustrophobia generated by relegating the action to primarily one set, the movie works up an almost unbearable level of emotional hysteria that simply could not be concluded by a clever little twist.  This manic energy is absolutely combustible by the end and cried out for an explosive finale, and boy did the movie deliver that in the most literal sense!  Come on, this isn't The Innocents.  I just want to stand up and applaud every time I see little Rhoda get her Ben Franklin on!

• Like 1

The Letter would have certainly had a better ending if the tyranny of the code wasn't there. This can be said for other movies as well so maybe it's not fair game here. But the ending we got in this one was so forced.

Ah,  The ending of The Letter (Davis \ Wyler version):    The book Film  Noir (Ward \ Silver),  makes the case that the production code ending actually adds to the noir vibe of the film:    That Leslie couldn't escape the noir universe she put herself into by all her deceitful actions.

Ah,  The ending of The Letter (Davis \ Wyler version):    The book Film  Noir (Ward \ Silver),  makes the case that the production code ending actually adds to the noir vibe of the film:    That Leslie couldn't escape the noir universe she put herself into by all her deceitful actions.

Noir, or Maughm.  A rare opportunity to have two decent movies to choose from.

Interesting ...

Fedya:  l Have you seen the Jeanne Eagels version?

No, but I just read the brief synopsis on Wiki. It looks much the same except the ending. That ending might have worked for the later version, though Crosbie would have had to be shown as suffering.

Gilda.

Totally idiotic, naive ending for a film noir.  Gilda should have led to both men's demise.  Instead, we have a walk off into the sunset ending with her and Glenn Ford's character.  

Gilda wasn't an actual femme fatale,  just a fake one,  so in that way the ending fits her actual persona.

But the entire film would have been better if she was an actual femme fatale and at end she leaves town after destroying the life of both men.

• Like 2

Gilda wasn't an actual femme fatale,  just a fake one,  so in that way the ending fits her actual persona.

But the entire film would have been better if she was an actual femme fatale and at end she leaves town after destroying the life of both men.

I love Gilda, but I agree that the ending is a bit contrived.  It would have made sense for her to leave her life (and Johnny) in South America behind and headed out somewhere else, ready to ruin another man.  Thus leaving Johnny alone and pretty much back where he started.  

Gilda.

Totally idiotic, naive ending for a film noir.  Gilda should have led to both men's demise.  Instead, we have a walk off into the sunset ending with her and Glenn Ford's character.  

I love Gilda, but I agree that the ending is a bit contrived.  It would have made sense for her to leave her life (and Johnny) in South America behind and headed out somewhere else, ready to ruin another man.  Thus leaving Johnny alone and pretty much back where he started.  

The challenge is to find the point at which to hit the stop button to make Gilda a better movie.

When you say 'ruin another man' it means you view Gilda in a very different light than I do based on her actual behavior. 

Gilda did NOT ruin men,  men being immature and jealous ruined themselves over Gilda.

E.g.  Gilda never cheated on Ballin or Johnny.    This was reveled by the detective near the end of the film.  It was all an act because Johnny was acting like such a jerk.   OK, that was immature on Gilda's part but it wasn't femme fatale type behavior. 

So you're 'put the blame on Mame' when no blame is deserved.   THAT is why that song was sung in the film.   

Now most men put the blame on Gilda since, well being men,  they don't wish to be introspective and go with the knee jerk;  it is the women's fault,  but you being a very opened minded intelligent gal should cut Gilda some slack  (ha ha). 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I thought the ending of Leave Her to Heaven was pretty underwhelming. They had a dark and suspenseful film in thier hands but almost ruined it with a lame, uninteresting courtroom scene, bland romance between the male lead and Jeanne Crain, and the unsatisfying demise of the most interesting character in the whole film at the end. I still think it's a great movie but that ending was awful.

• Like 1

I thought the ending of Leave Her to Heaven was pretty underwhelming. They had a dark and suspenseful film in thier hands but almost ruined it with a lame, uninteresting courtroom scene, bland romance between the male lead and Jeanne Crain, and the unsatisfying demise of the most interesting character in the whole film at the end. I still think it's a great movie but that ending was awful.

I have to admit, I've never seen the movie all the way through (I suppose I should force myself).  My point in this thread is to find a point you could turn off the DVD player and have a better movie.  Is there one here?

I have to admit, I've never seen the movie all the way through (I suppose I should force myself). My point in this thread is to find a point you could turn off the DVD player and have a better movie. Is there one here?

Well I can't tell the full details without giving something away but I suppose you could stop after Ellen (Gene Tierney) does great harm to a person . That's the last good scene in my opinion.

Well I can't tell the full details without giving something away but I suppose you could stop after Ellen (Gene Tierney) does great harm to a person . That's the last good scene in my opinion.

Once Gene leaves the film it is all downhill from there.

"The Bad Seed" is the only film that had a built in alternative ending.  I don't think a spanking is going to help a sociopath.  The first ending....too bad God don't step in more often.

Talk about timing, tonights "Law and Order SVU" was about a 13 year old sociopath, ending was justifiable murder?? :wacko:

http://lawandorder.wikia.com/wiki/Conscience_(SVU)

In the book, it is Christine who dies without ever telling why she went the murder-suicide route.  The neighbor comforts her grieving husband by telling him "At least you still have Rhoda".  Now that's a chilling ending!

Oops! Didn't see he post which already let this cat out of the bag.  Too bad the movie didn't keep that ending.  I'm guessing the "Code" wouldn't let even little Rhoda seem to get away with murder.