Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Rapid Fire Insult Movies

Dialogfan

Great choices!

The Women....wow, I should have thought of that and "The Awful Truth."

Of course, it is even hard to check the iPhone when "My Gal Friday" is on, lest we miss a single line!  

I enjoy the Marx Brothers, but the insults are not always intellectual zings...that is what I had in mind and I should have made it more clear:

intellectual zings that take a moment to consider just how insulting the line just was!

With this in mind, others??

Stage Door (1937): Well, at least the beginning to middle of this film was more comedic and filled with witty repartee (mostly coming from either Lucille Ball, Eve Arden, or Ginger Rogers, with the occasional quip from Katharine Hepburn)

Linda: ...Or maybe it's casserole, I'm not quite certain.

Jean: Be sure not to eat the bones and give yourself away! 

Vivacious Lady (1938; also starring Ginger)

Girl: I'm going to give you a piece of my mind.

Ginger: Oh, I'd hate to take the last piece. 

• Like 3

Just came back to this thread wondering if anybody has yet mentioned that wonderful movie series filled with witty and often shape-tongued exchanges between a married couple who solved crimes.

And sure as heck, and unless I've somehow missed it, nobody as of yet has mentioned these two...

wink.jpg

(...well okay...three including Asta there)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 11/15/2016 at 12:01 PM, film lover 293 said:

Billy Wilder's "One, Two, Three" (1961).

"Duck Soup" (1933).

"A Night at the Opera" (1935).

Hard to get past those three, but if I had to pick a more recent one, what about Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines from "Running Scared" (1984)?

On 11/16/2016 at 6:57 PM, Dialogfan said:

I enjoy the Marx Brothers, but the insults are not always intellectual zings...that is what I had in mind and I should have made it more clear:

intellectual zings that take a moment to consider just how insulting the line just was!

So, not like Danny DeVito from "Romancing the Stone" (1984), then?

"Look, I can't talk now, Ira, she's with some guy...How should I know 'which guy', she likes guys--So do YOU! (hangs up phone)"  

• Haha 1

“Comedic” depends upon one’s point of view, while “clever, snarky and intelligent insults” are trumped by gutsy, raw, vial, “rapid fire” insulting dialog grounded in historical ignorance that hits viewers like a sledgehammer.

How insulting is this “classic” movie?

Well, it took the presents of historian/author Donald Bogle, a late night/early morning airing along with Ben Mankiewicz seemingly perched upon the edge of his pins-n-needles chair to introduce.

With that being said, TCM should be commended for airing this movie UNCENSORED, particularly in an environment of political correctness, me too movements, along with crowds focused upon the destruction/removal of a Nation’s historical flags and statues.

Can you guess the name of this movie? :rolleyes:

No, it's not "The Man Who Came to Dinner" (1942) which may "fit" the criteria being sought. :lol:

💋

One of my favorite ('sorta insults') of all-time comes from backstage at some long-forgotten Hollywood backlot.

Typically as you know--in Golden Age Hollywood--scads of young extras, 'nobodies', chorus girls and 'aspiring starlets' set aside pride and used their womanly charms to wrangle their first on-screen credits. It was simply a done thing. Dire necessity in the Depression Era.

Anyway so there was one film (I don't know what the title was) which roped-in a lot of this ambitious young talent but at some point in the production things were going so badly that one of these babes sassed out:

"Christ, who do I have to *_*_*_*_ to get OFF this picture?!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Legendary story; may be apocryphal or not--who knows? but its still hilarious. Sounds like it should have come from Jean Harlowe.

19 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Anyway so there was one film (I don't know what the title was) which roped-in a lot of this ambitious young talent but at some point in the production things were going so badly that one of these babes sassed out:

"Christ, who do I have to *_*_*_*_ to get OFF this picture?!"

Or as Benny Hill parodied:
(actress storms off of failed commercial) "Who do I have to sleep with to get OFF this job??"

(Benny follows offstage) "...Er, if you've got a moment, I could tell you? :) "

• Haha 2

Did it ever get any more "rapid fire" than this?...

duck-soup-3.jpg

"Well, that covers a lot of ground. Say, you cover a lot of ground yourself. You better beat it, I hear they're going to tear you down and put up an office building where you're standing. You can leave in a taxi. If you can't get a taxi, you can leave in a huff. If that's too soon, you can leave in a minute and a huff. You know, you haven't stopped talking since I came here?! You must have been vaccinated with a phonograph needle."

-Groucho Marx in Duck Soup

• Like 1

On 11/16/2016 at 4:57 PM, Dialogfan said:

With this in mind, others??

And, just now noticing the OP of this thread said the above (over two years ago now...gee, I wonder whatever happened to Dialogfan?...but I digress) I'll offer this one from my previously mentioned(from over two years ago now TOO) Thin Man couple...

annex-loy-myrna-thin-man-the_01.jpg

"Who's that on the phone, my love?"

-"Oh, you wouldn't know them, Dear. They're respectable."

On 1/9/2019 at 1:38 PM, EricJ said:

Hard to get past those three, but if I had to pick a more recent one, what about Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines from "Running Scared" (1984)?

One of my favorites from Crystal comes from MR. SATURDAY NIGHT when he mentions (when running into Jerry Lewis at the Friar's Club I think...)  "So, JERRY! Still combing your hair with the EXXON VALDEZ ?"  :D 

And THE ODD COUPLE provides a few, like my favorite, "If you have something on your chest besides your CHIN, get it off!" line.  ;)

Sepiatone

The insults didn't take place over the entire film, but 1980's The Mirror Crack'd was at its most enjoyable in the two scenes where Marina Rudd (Elizabeth Tayler) and Lola Brewster (Kim Novak) went after each other with catty one-liners. Here is a sampling of some of the lines the two had in their scenes courtesy of IMDB:

Marina Rudd: Lola, dear, you know, there are really only two things I dislike about you.

Lola Brewster: Really? What are they?

Marina Rudd: Your face.

Lola Brewster: You seem lovely, as always. Of course, there are fewer lights on than usual. In fact, any fewer, and I'd need a seeing-eye dog.

Marina Rudd: Oh, I shouldn't bother to buy one, dear. In that wig, you could play Lassie.

Lola Brewster: Same adorable sense of humor. And I'm so glad to see that you've not only kept your GORGEOUS figure, but you've added SO MUCH to it!

Marina Rudd: What are you doing here so early, dear? I thought the plastic surgery seminar was in Switzerland.

Lola Brewster: Actually, darling, I couldn't wait to begin our little movie. You know the saying: once an actress, always an actress.

Marina Rudd: Oh, I do know the saying. But what does it have to do with you?

Lola Brewster: Cute angel. So do tell. How does it feel to be back, after being away SO LONG?

Lola Brewster: Chin up, darling... both of them.

Marina Rudd: I've always thought of Lola as one of my oldest *oldest* friends.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings