Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ERNEST BORGNINE

HE PLAYED A NYC COP TRACKING DOWN MAFIA HOODS WHICH BRINGS HIM TO THE HEAD (CAPO )MAFIA LEADER IN ITALY I THINK THIS MOVIE WAS TITLED "THE BLACK HAND" IT WAS MADE IN THE EARLY 50'S ZORA LAMPERT CO-STARED

IS THIS AVAILABLE IN ANY FORM? JOHNC

Does anyone know what's become of Zohra Lampert?

A NYC stage and screen actress, rather eccentric in acting style, but always interesting. She did a lot of TV work in the 60s and 70s. I always liked her. In the recent past, she did TV commercials for Goya, which makes canned products for Latino cuisine (and at that time wasn't as big as it is now). Did those commercials play outside of New York? "Goya. Oh boy-a!"

Has she retired?

Message was edited by: Judith, who forgot that commas never go in front of parentheses.

jdb1

From IMDb.com (Because they can say it better then I)

Solemn, ethnic-looking Zohra Lampert had a touching, understated quality to her talent that should have gone further in the film business than it did. Somehow she never got the bigger breaks necessary for top-flight stardom.Was twice nominated for Broadway's Tony Award as Best Supporting or Featured Actress (Dramatic) in the consecutive years of 1962, for "Look: We've Come Through," and in 1963, for "Mother Courage and Her Children."

Worked steady from 1963 to 1999 (I think she shows up from time to time to do limited runs in Off Broadway plays)

I remember her on TV through out the 70's..and the O'Boya..Goya commercials....Very good Actress.

vallo

Good one! However, that would have required them to license more mainstream fare, and Vidmark didn't strike me as that kind of a label.

Vidmark liked to slap R ratings on some of their tapes whether the films were rated R or not. They did that on "Out of the Darkness," an '80s network-TV movie with Martin Sheen.

Back to Ernest Borgnine, did I read somewhere that he was actually of Aboriginal origin -- hence the (stage) name??? He does share some of the facial features...

No EB fan must miss "Marty"; if you don't know EB and watch it, you'll be a fan!!!

I don't know that even as swett-tempered a man as Mr Borgnine would take well to being called an Aborigine.

He's actually of Italian descent; the family name is Borgnino (pronounced "born-YIH-no), and was born in Hamden, Connecticut, in 1917.

> Back to Ernest Borgnine, did I read somewhere that he

> was actually of Aboriginal origin -- hence the

> (stage) name??? He does share some of the facial

> features...

> No EB fan must miss "Marty"; if you don't know EB and

> watch it, you'll be a fan!!!

That is a really odd rumor, but maybe it got started by some PT person because Borgnine filmed "The Summer of the 17th Doll" in Australia in the 50s (a very good movie, by the way, rarely shown). He played an Aussie named Roo, with a quite credible accent.

As CineSageJr says, the family name is Borgnino, and Ernie's birth name was "Ermes." As in the Greek god Hermes. Cool.

And I heartily agree with you about EB's performance in "Marty." Perhaps we should add that to the "Memorable and Loveable" thread. I liked EB's performance a lot better than Rod Steiger's in the original, TV version (although Steiger's performance was fine - it just wasn't particularly warm, as was EB's.)