Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TomJH

Racism in Trump's America

I didn't really mean to say that homosexuals should be deprogrammed but I was responding to the notion that neo-nazis could be deprogrammed which of course is possible. I know people who are gay and have never disrespected them.

You know I really want to believe you because,  even with our different views,  I like you.   I really do.   But sometimes you go to far. 

As for deprogramming neo-Nazis;  I would never support such a thing.   People are entitled to their own thoughts.  It is their actions that I'm worried about.

You know I really want to believe you because,  even with our different views,  I like you.   I really do.   But sometimes you go to far. 

As for deprogramming neo-Nazis;  I would never support such a thing.   People are entitled to their own thoughts.  It is their actions that I'm worried about.

I hope I have not offended you, jamesjazzguitar. you and darkblue are just about the smartest 2 guys on here. :)

From the Boston Globe:

Hillary Clinton was right about ‘deplorables’ — now they’re storming out of the basket

"Anyone who observed Donald Trump’s campaign rallies, saw video of his more aggressively violent supporters, or read their online comments knew exactly what Hillary Clinton was talking about when she said, “To just be grossly generalistic, you can put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? Racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic — you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people — now 11 million.” 

This was not a slam against "regular working-class Americans;" this was all about the type of Trump supporters we saw this week in Charlottesville, Va. Clinton, admittedly, was “grossly generalistic” about the percentage, but her much-criticized remarks were spot-on, and they need to be restated again and again."

• Like 1

"...It’s only through kindness, it’s only through understanding, it’s only through compassion and peace that people were able to get past all of our armor. It was never aggression, it was never shaming.”...

....there was one thing that he and the other former extremist leaders who work at Life After Hate share. “What we all have in common, for the most part, is that compassion and empathy are common themes in what helped turn us around,” he said. “What finally got through.”

That puts Rangel’s organization on the opposite side of activists and organizations that are using punitive tactics, such as online shaming and physical fights, against white nationalist groups....

Life After Hate has worked with hundreds of white nationalists and the social networks close to them: their families, counselors, and case workers. Its program ExitUSA uses a number of different tactics, ranging from individualized education to support groups to job training to guide people away from extremist groups and help them get their lives back on track. ....

https://theintercept.com/2017/08/17/this-group-has-successfully-converted-white-supremacists-using-compassion-trump-defunded-it/

then how can the left be so sure that deprogramming homosexuality will not work? :huh:  :D

Unbelievable.  Talk about deplorable.

Ranking Member Cohen to Introduce Articles of Impeachment Against President Donald Trump After Comments on Charlottesville

“I have expressed great concerns about President Trump’s ability to lead our country in the Resolution of No Confidence (H.Res. 456) that I introduced in July with 29 of my colleagues; however, after the President’s comments on Saturday, August 12 and again on Tuesday, August 15 in response to the horrific events in Charlottesville, I believe the President should be impeached and removed from office. Instead of unequivocally condemning hateful actions by neo-Nazis, white nationalists and Klansmen following a national tragedy, the President said ‘there were very fine people on both sides.’ There are no good Nazis. There are no good Klansmen.” 

“We fought a World War to defeat Nazis, and a Civil War to defeat the Confederacy. 

https://cohen.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/ranking-member-cohen-introduce-articles-impeachment-against-president

• Like 2

Well I had heard an interview with a lady who expressed my views exactly:

(paraphrasing)

Trump's entire election campaign was a thinly veiled white supremacist platform.

"Make America great again" meant "Make America White Again" to those who secretly blame every non-white American for their economic downturn. 

I could see that and obviously his supporters agreed with that. This, along with his incredible inexperience and 5th grade mentality made me fearful for our country with Trump in the White House.

And now it's all imploding because (hopefully) the majority of Americans see this clown for what he is, a baffoon.

It's very disheartening to know this day & age there still are those who equate any non whites or immigrants as a threat to anyone's economic success or well being. I wish Americans would Grow Up.

• Like 4

Well I had heard an interview with a lady who expressed my views exactly:

(paraphrasing)

Trump's entire election campaign was a thinly veiled white supremacist platform.

"Make America great again" meant "Make America White Again" to those who secretly blame every non-white American for their economic downturn. 

I could see that and obviously his supporters agreed with that. This, along with his incredible inexperience and 5th grade mentality made me fearful for our country with Trump in the White House.

And now it's all imploding because (hopefully) the majority of Americans see this clown for what he is, a baffoon.

It's very disheartening to know this day & age there still are those who equate any non whites or immigrants as a threat to anyone's economic success or well being. I wish Americans would Grow Up.

About 65 to 80% of Republican voters agree with him, think that he is doing a good job and would vote for him again.  Sad.  The bar for being a mature moral president is now sitting on the ground.

• Like 3

45]ceX1JfaZ_bigger.pngSeth MoultonVerified account @sethmoulton

More

Nazis rallied & murdered a woman on US soil...and then @POTUS pardons Arpaio, who bragged about his "concentration camp" full of minorities.

Unfortunately we have dual histories when it comes to racism in the United States. We have the history of slavery and Jim Crow, the history of Japanese relocation camps, the history of Native American genocide.

Fortunately we also have a history of Martin Luther King jr's Nonviolent Civil Rights Movement, positive civil rights legislation from Harry S Truman and Lyndon B Johnson and civil rights activists from all Races, ethnicities and classes-- people like--

*Michael Schwerner and Andrew Goodman, two Young Jewish white men from New York City who were murdered by the Klan because they were trying to register black voters in Mississippi, 1964. Schwerner and Goodman were joined by a young black man who was from the area, James Chaney-- he was murdered as well.

These are those three famous Civil Rights workers who were martyrs to the cause of anti- racism in America. But there was also a little-known martyr at this time - - a white woman.

Viola Liuzzo was a white housewife and mother of five when she volunteered in 1965 to go to Selma Alabama to work in the Civil Rights Movement. She did this because she was an Unitarian Universalist Activist. She volunteered to be a driver for participants in the Selma to Montgomery March.

On March 25th, 1965, the 39 year -old white housewife from Michigan was shot dead by 3 Ku Klux Klan members, as she was on her way back from shuttling an activist to the Montgomery Airport.

These are just a few of the many Martyrs against racism in the United States.

Heather Heyer, a 32 year -old white woman from Virginia, has now joined this illustrious group of people who willingly gave their lives so that America could be a real democracy and true to its Constitutional heritage.

In America we have a choice of going down one of these roads.

Our history has not been all bad and it certainly hasn't been all good, yet at the same time only we alone can create the future.

• Like 1

https://qz.com/1060428/donald-trump-and-the-us-have-received-a-formal-warning-about-racist-violence-from-the-un/

ALARM BELLS

The UN has warned the United States over its alarming rise in ethnic violence

A United Nations committee has issued a formal warning to the United States and its president, Donald Trump, over recent racial violence in the country, indicating serious concern that conflicts like the recent one in Charlottesville, Virginia, will spread.

The Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) has issued an “early warning,” the first step in its system of measures to prevent tensions from escalating and inform member states of the urgent need to address problems. It criticized the US for “failure at the highest political level to unequivocally reject racist violent events.”

https://qz.com/1060428/donald-trump-and-the-us-have-received-a-formal-warning-about-racist-violence-from-the-un/

ALARM BELLS

A United Nations committee has issued a formal warning to the United States and its president, Donald Trump, over recent racial violence in the country, indicating serious concern that conflicts like the recent one in Charlottesville, Virginia, will spread.

The Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) has issued an “early warning,” the first step in its system of measures to prevent tensions from escalating and inform member states of the urgent need to address problems. It criticized the US for “failure at the highest political level to unequivocally reject racist violent events.”

trump must be a nervous wreck. :lol:

• Like 1

Re: The UN has warned the United States 

If we don't heed the warning what are they going to do....pack up and leave New York? 

ALARM BELLS

Who else in the world does this put Trump in league with?  What he is doing to America's reputation with the rest of the world is staggering.  Not surprising that two Trump apologists could care less.  Their natural reaction is not to have concern about their president's behaviour but to lash out and condemn everyone else.

• Like 2

Charlottesville

The Arpaio pardon

And now this-- The Trump Effect

No kidding...alas, another addition to the "Why Police Are Hated" thread?

45]

45]tw7JPE5v_bigger.jpgThe HillVerified account @thehill

More

Tucker Carlson tears into ESPN over host who called Trump a "white supremacist" http://hill.cm/r6Ecz98

DJlKx57X0AQP5IG.jpg

And people should embrace who and what they are.

trump made it very clear in his 2nd Charlottesville statement that white supremists we're okay by him.

On the 60 Minutes interview with Charlie Rose, Steve Bannon didn't have any problem in saying he didn't care that people called him an anti-Semite or a racist.

People who have the audacity to be racist should have the guts to admit it in public and not act like it's something to be ashamed of.

I honestly don't understand how racist people don't want to appear to be racist in public-- The Joke is on them because the racism appears in their behavior, their writing, their talking, and their voting.

And people should embrace who and what they are.

trump made it very clear in his 2nd Charlottesville statement that white supremists we're okay by him.

On the 60 Minutes interview with Charlie Rose, Steve Bannon didn't have any problem in saying he didn't care that people called him an anti-Semite or a racist.

People who have the audacity to be racist should have the guts to admit it in public and not act like it's something to be ashamed of.

I honestly don't understand how racist people don't want to appear to be racist in public-- The Joke is on them because the racism appears in their behavior, their writing, their talking, and their voting.

My view is people should try to distance themselves from what their ancestor were in order to establish their own identity.

All cultures have something to offer;  why limited oneself to the culture of one's ancestor.   

If more people did this it would reduce racist \ anti-culture feelings.     The less one identifies with a race or culture the less one feels the need to defend it or attack others that are perceived as being different.

Of course I'm just a silly half breed!  ;)

• Like 1

45]vBbCVD-r_bigger.jpegDavid WeinerVerified account @daweiner

More

There's one of these for every notable person upset with people calling Trump racist.

DJ5nRPsUEAA0kTO.jpg

DJ5nRPtVAAA-PNb.jpg

I think I'm beginning to understand how this works--

President Obama is the blackest president we've ever had; therefore he caused all the racists to come out from under the rocks. So that must make him racist.

Ben Stein is sick of all these people calling trump and the United States racist because even though trump and the United States are racist, he is just tired of hearing about it.

Well, I can understand how he feels.

It's like, I suppose, a lot of people in Germany are tired of hearing about the Holocaust and are tired of hearing about how the Germans were so anti-Semitic in World War II. But That won't change the facts of History, will it?

Sometimes facts are hard for even a grown man to face. Ben needs to get a stiff upper lip.

• Like 2

I think I'm beginning to understand how this works--

President Obama is the blackest president we've ever had; therefore he caused all the racists to come out from under the rocks. So that must make him racist.

Ben Stein is sick of all these people calling trump and the United States racist because even though trump and the United States are racist, he is just tired of hearing about it.

Well, I can understand how he feels.

It's like, I suppose, a lot of people in Germany are tired of hearing about the Holocaust and are tired of hearing about how the Germans were so anti-Semitic in World War II. But That won't change the facts of History, will it?

Sometimes facts are hard for even a grown man to face. Ben needs to get a stiff upper lip.

:huh:

Who were the others?

Think you got Morgan Freeman on your mind. :lol:

p01hd0mq.jpg

Stein has sounded pretty kooky for the last fifteen years.

I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to him.

• Like 1

If Ben Stein thinks Obama was the most racist president, he'd better get out the history books and start reading about presidents like Andrew Jackson and Wilson and watch/read clips of Trump berating Mexicans, immigrants, the Central Park Five, Obama, and extolling the virtues of Joe Arpaio and the white power demonstrators.  Remember that Trump's daddy was arrested at a Klan rally in NYC.  The apple didn't fall far from the tree.  

• Like 2