Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Racism in Trump's America

1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

James, and did these people look at you and say the same thing?

I've had quite a few  Americans in my lifetime of East Asian ethnicity or descent tell me that they're often asked where they come from.

My best friend in graduate school was a 3rd Generation Japanese-American. Her family had been interned during the war. She told me that this was a common experience for her-- people treating her and approaching her as if she wasn't a real American citizen.

They would either say 'thanks' or 'same here'.   Based on my looks, I'm very difficult to classify for most people.  Often if go somewhere with a large ethnic group they known I'm mixed raced with half from their group).   "are you half Latino"  or Iranian, etc..

Since my wife is a light skinned Italian and I have that pure Japanese black hair (ok, salt and pepper now),  when we are in Italy and dealing with Italian strangers (e.g. a waiter),  they believe I'm the Italian (they talk to me in Italian!).

What is most odd is the few people that can spot me right off the bat have all been Half Japanese\White like me.  AND I often get the same vibe in return.    I guess that is because we look like an extended family member to each other. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Weekend reads

3c631655ed147c1568650344bd64789d-1400-0-70-8-XH5JNZFKGAI6TBZTJDEHENPTSY.jpg
(AP Photo)
‘Send her back!’: Trump, Ilhan Omar and the complicated history of back to Africa
The idea of black Americans returning to Africa has deep roots in this country's centuries of racial oppression.
By Michael Rosenwald and Cleve Wootson  Read more »

I didn't read the article, but back to Africa was Abraham Lincoln's proposal for the freed slaves.

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

NewsweekVerified account @Newsweek 12m12 minutes ago

The White House's Stephen Miller claims Trump's criticism of Obama was done "out of love" for U.S.,

but that the Squad's criticism of Trump is "anti-American"

<_<

I'm sure Stephen will be happy to hear that various members of his family have criticized him publicly,

but it was out of love for him. LOL

• Haha 1

An Oral History of Trump’s Bigotry

His racism and intolerance have always been in evidence; only slowly did he begin to understand how to use them to his advantage.

" The first quotation from Donald Trump ever to appear in The New York Times came on October 16, 1973. Trump was responding to charges filed by the Justice Department alleging racial bias at his family’s real-estate company. “They are absolutely ridiculous,” Trump said of the charges. “We have never discriminated, and we never would.”

In the years since then, Trump has assembled a long record of comment on issues involving African Americans as well as Mexicans, Hispanics more broadly, Native Americans, Muslims, Jews, immigrants, women, and people with disabilities. His statements have been reflected in his behavior—from public acts (placing ads calling for the execution of five young black and Latino men accused of rape, who were later shown to be innocent) to private preferences .....

Instances of bigotry involving Donald Trump span more than four decades. ......

when it comes to race, I don’t think it’s merely using racial animosities or race-baiting as tools to promote his business. I think it’s a deep-seated reflection of what he thinks about how the world works. ......."

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/06/trump-racism-comments/588067/

<_<

• Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

An Oral History of Trump’s Bigotry

His racism and intolerance have always been in evidence; only slowly did he begin to understand how to use them to his advantage.

" The first quotation from Donald Trump ever to appear in The New York Times came on October 16, 1973. Trump was responding to charges filed by the Justice Department alleging racial bias at his family’s real-estate company. “They are absolutely ridiculous,” Trump said of the charges. “We have never discriminated, and we never would.”

In the years since then, Trump has assembled a long record of comment on issues involving African Americans as well as Mexicans, Hispanics more broadly, Native Americans, Muslims, Jews, immigrants, women, and people with disabilities. His statements have been reflected in his behavior—from public acts (placing ads calling for the execution of five young black and Latino men accused of rape, who were later shown to be innocent) to private preferences .....

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/06/trump-racism-comments/588067/

<_<

trump's daughter, Ivanka, married  an Orthodox Jewish man. You always wonder if she is totally ignorant of  his anti-Semitic comments or she just chooses to ignore them for the welfare of her inheritance?

• Haha 1
On 7/16/2019 at 4:44 PM, mr6666 said:

Anthony ScaramucciVerified account @Scaramucci 7h7 hours ago

Would @realDonaldTrump ever tell a WHITE immigrant - whether 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th+ generation

- to "go back to your country"?

No. That's why the comments were racist and unacceptable.

America is a nation of immigrants founded on the ideals of free thought and free speech. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

This was trump's deflection against Epstein and the pedophile scandal.

Let's see what deflection trump comes up with for the Mueller testimony.

• Thanks 1

Nancy Pelosi Denounces Trump’s ‘Racist Attacks’ On Rep. Elijah Cummings

Trump called the House oversight committee chair a “brutal bully” from a “rodent infested” district, taking aim at yet another lawmaker of color.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nancy-pelosi-denounces-trumps-racist-attacks-on-elijah-cummings_n_5d3c85e7e4b0ef792e0cf0d4?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

<_<

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Nancy Pelosi Denounces Trump’s ‘Racist Attacks’ On Rep. Elijah Cummings

Trump called the House oversight committee chair a “brutal bully” from a “rodent infested” district, taking aim at yet another lawmaker of color.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nancy-pelosi-denounces-trumps-racist-attacks-on-elijah-cummings_n_5d3c85e7e4b0ef792e0cf0d4?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

<_<

I'm surprised this took trump so long. The congressman must have slipped past trump's racist radar.

• Sad 1

Black rag dolls with instructions to 'whack' them against a wall are pulled from New Jersey store

The toy, called a "Feel Better Doll," is "an inappropriate representation of a black person," New Jersey Assemblywoman Angela McKnight said.

".....

the doll, sold at a One Dollar Zone! store, was "disturbing on so many levels" and was "an inappropriate representation of a black person."

The cloth doll, called the "Feel Better Doll," has red, black, yellow and green yarn hair with a white smile and eyes stitched on its face. On the doll's stomach are instructions on how to use it.

Image: Feel Better DollThe "Feel Better Doll" instructs people to "whack" it against a wall to help them feel better. It was pulled from a dollar store in Bayonne, New Jersey, for being offensive.Angela V. McKnight via Facebook

"Whenever things don't go well and you want to hit the wall and yell, here's a little 'feel better doll' that you just will not do without," it reads, according to a photo of the doll .......

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/black-rag-dolls-instructions-whack-them-against-wall-are-pulled-n1035386?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

:blink:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

"Whenever things don't go well and you want to hit the wall and yell, here's a little 'feel better doll' that you just will not do without," it reads, according to a photo of the doll .......

Better buy a bunch for Twump.

• Haha 1

Hm, what is it about the members of the House that Trump aggressively attacks?

Ilhan Omar. Ayanna Pressley. Maxine Waters. Elijah Cummings. John Lewis. Rashida Tlaib. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

I feel like there must be some common trait they share.

Can anyone figure it out?

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Ilhan Omar. Ayanna Pressley. Maxine Waters. Elijah Cummings. John Lewis. Rashida Tlaib. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

they all got chips on their shoulders against the white devil hon kee.

:D

19 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

Nippy--

Have you ever had a close black friend who you would go to the movies with or have a hamburger with?

Or maybe a friendly black neighbor who used to come over and barbecue with you?

Or maybe a black acquaintance who also likes Jerry Goldsmith?

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

They're all left wing Democrats? :huh:

politics-republicans_party-republican_ma

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

I remember this one. It was one of Archibald's racist fever dreams.

8 minutes ago, hamradio said:

They're all left wing Democrats? :huh:

politics-republicans_party-republican_ma

WRONG!!!!  They’re all women of color.  That is what Donald Trump focused on!  He basically said they should all go back to their S***thole countries, even though 3 of the 4 were born here; the 4th is a naturalized U.S. Citizen, just like 2 of Trump’s wife.  So Trump racist, sexist, xenophobic comments were a dog whistle, no, a bullhorn, to his racist, sexist, xenophobic base.  Strong women of color are often disparaged by Trump.

• Haha 1