Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Racism in Trump's America

• 4 weeks later...

Two men stabbed to death on Oregon train trying to stop anti-Muslim rant

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-muslims-portland-idUSKBN18N080

"It is important, in this hate-filled era of Donald Trump, to remind ourselves of the essential decency of the vast majority of Americans, and to celebrate the heroism of those who stand up against hate.

The two men stabbed to death yesterday on a train in Portland, trying to intervene when another passenger began shouting anti-Muslim hate speech at two young Muslim women, represent the best in us.

Their compassion and courage in the face of brutal intolerance is the essence of what it means to defend the founding principles of this nation -- and what we memorialize on Memorial Day."

-Rbt. Reich

• Like 3

Denver Post sportswriter Terry Frei is upset that a Japanese man won the Indy 500 (he's "uncomfortable about it" in a tweet). Mr. Friei needs to be reminded that Japan is an ally of the United States and that Japanese-Americans served honorably in WW2 and beyond.

On AM Joy's show today, she and George Takai talked about how a commander and next-in-line in the newest STAR TREK are played by minorities so some people on social media are calling it "white genocide in outer space."  Again, these idiots need to learn that diversity is a hallmark of Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek vision. (Takai was five years old when he and his parents were in the internment camps even though both parents were born in the USA.)

Welcome to Trump's America where you can be upfront about your racism and forget about human dignity.  At least these people do get called out about it.  We eventually move forward as human beings but it's like for every two steps forward, there's one step backward.

• Like 2

Denver Post sportswriter Terry Frei is upset that a Japanese man won the Indy 500 (he's "uncomfortable about it" in a tweet). Mr. Friei needs to be reminded that Japan is an ally of the United States and that Japanese-Americans served honorably in WW2 and beyond.

On AM Joy's show today, she and George Takai talked about how a commander and next-in-line in the newest STAR TREK are played by minorities so some people on social media are calling it "white genocide in outer space."  Again, these idiots need to learn that diversity is a hallmark of Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek vision. (Takai was five years old when he and his parents were in the internment camps even though both parents were born in the USA.)

Welcome to Trump's America where you can be upfront about your racism and forget about human dignity.  At least these people do get called out about it.  We eventually move forward as human beings but it's like for every two steps forward, there's one step backward.

You should read some of the moronic outrage over the new Star Wars films, since the young heroes are a woman, a black guy, and a Latino guy. Nipkow likes to wheedle on about how they are feminist propaganda. 

On AM Joy's show today, she and George Takai talked about how a commander and next-in-line in the newest STAR TREK are played by minorities so some people on social media are calling it "white genocide in outer space." Again, these idiots need to learn that diversity is a hallmark of Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek vision. (Takai was five years old when he and his parents were in the internment camps even though both parents were born in the USA.)

Welcome to Trump's America where you can be upfront about your racism and forget about human dignity. At least these people do get called out about it. We eventually move forward as human beings but it's like for every two steps forward, there's one step backward.

Years ago I was vacationing in Portland, Oregon and I went to the local museum there. As I entered, I could hear this booming voice coming from another room. It sounded familiar, so I went to investigate. It was George Takei doing a recorded video narration of a documentary.

As I looked around the room, I found myself in an exhibit about Japanese- Americans who had come to the West Coast after the Civil War.

It was interesting and informative with a lot of photos.

But the George Takei documentary booming in the background was all about how Japanese -Americans were relocated into internment camps during World War II.

I was a Star Trek fan, but I was not aware that his family had been victimized like that.

What was really extraordinary about this exhibit is that there was a lady there whose family had been interned in one of those camps. She was volunteering as part of the exhibit. She was warm, kind and polite to encourage you to ask any questions you wanted to about what it was like to be in one of those internment camps during World War II.

It must be very difficult for Americans like George Takei to see all the hatred and racism that Trump has drummed up, when they have already gone through so much of it in this country in the past.

And being a gay man too- - George is taking on a double-edged sword of discrimination in this country. He's truly a brave man and an excellent spokesperson for American democracy.

• Like 3

There were a black and women Jedi in previous Star Wars movies.  One woman Jedi fought to the death in "Revenge of The Sith" after the order came down to exterminate all Jedis.  Why would the new film make a fuss over it?

Mace-Windu.jpg

She was on the High Jedi Council.

hqdefault.jpg

There were several at the arena.

2926198609_1_5_L0bR1LRQ.jpg

On AM Joy's show today, she and George Takai talked about how a commander and next-in-line in the newest STAR TREK are played by minorities so some people on social media are calling it "white genocide in outer space." Again, these idiots need to learn that diversity is a hallmark of Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek vision. (Takai was five years old when he and his parents were in the internment camps even though both parents were born in the USA.)

Welcome to Trump's America where you can be upfront about your racism and forget about human dignity. At least these people do get called out about it. We eventually move forward as human beings but it's like for every two steps forward, there's one step backward.

Frei has been fired by The Denver Post-- enough said.

I wonder if he knows they've got some openings over at Fox News?

• Like 2

Noose found in segregation exhibition of National Museum of African American History and Culture http://nbcnews.to/2rlOQZG  via @NBCWashington

“The Smithsonian family stands together in condemning this act of hatred and intolerance, especially repugnant in a museum that affirms and celebrates the American values of inclusion and diversity,” the secretary of the Smithsonian Institution David Skorton said in an email to employees. “We will not be intimated. Cowardly acts like these will not, for one moment, prevent us from the vital work we do.”

In its release, the Smithsonian cited several other similar incidents that have happened recently in other parts of the country. 

"Other nooses have been found on the Duke University campus, the Port of Oakland in California, a fraternity house at the University of Maryland, a middle school in Maryland, and at a high school in Lakewood, California," stated the release. "All of them seem to be part of a larger wave of violence, intimidation and hate crimes."

Source: NBC news

Trump's America:

Portland murders

'You call it terrorism, I call it patriotism!': Portland murder suspect makes court appearance

PORTLAND, ORE. - A man charged with fatally stabbing two men and injuring a third who tried to shield young women from an anti-Muslim tirade appeared to brag about the attacks as he sat in the back of a police patrol car, saying “that’s what liberalism gets you,” according to court documents.

http://www.recorder.ca/2017/05/30/you-call-it-terrorism-i-call-it-patriotism-portland-murder-suspect-makes-court-appearance

What Trump Wrought.

• Like 4

How US groups spread hate via the Islamophobia industry-

"Anti-Muslim marches are slated to take place in dozens of cities across the United States on Saturday, with several counterprotests expected.

ACT for America, the country's largest grassroots anti-Muslim group described by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) as an "extremist group", called for the nationwide "March Against Sharia".

In a statement on ACT for America's website, the group claims that sharia - or Islamic law - runs contrary to human rights and the US Constitution.

Yet rights groups and watchdogs, among them the SPLC and the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR), have criticised the marches as Islamophobic. 

In a report published last year, CAIR examined what it calls the "Islamophobia industry"....

Today we are witnessing a very strange thing. Islamophobic groups like ACT for America are not only joining forces with people and factions of the so-called alt right, but they are also bringing into their fold noxious voices on the left that paint themselves as liberals [while espousing] a blinkered and prejudice worldview when it comes to Islam and Muslims....

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2017/06/groups-spread-hate-islamophobia-industry-170610092856852.html

How US groups spread hate via the Islamophobia industry-

"Anti-Muslim marches are slated to take place in dozens of cities across the United States on Saturday, with several counterprotests expected.

ACT for America, the country's largest grassroots anti-Muslim group described by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) as an "extremist group", called for the nationwide "March Against Sharia".

In a statement on ACT for America's website, the group claims that sharia - or Islamic law - runs contrary to human rights and the US Constitution.

Yet rights groups and watchdogs, among them the SPLC and the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR), have criticised the marches as Islamophobic. 

In a report published last year, CAIR examined what it calls the "Islamophobia industry"....

Today we are witnessing a very strange thing. Islamophobic groups like ACT for America are not only joining forces with people and factions of the so-called alt right, but they are also bringing into their fold noxious voices on the left that paint themselves as liberals [while espousing] a blinkered and prejudice worldview when it comes to Islam and Muslims....

Islamic nations are the only ones that have a death penalty for being gay.   Sharia law IS contrary to human rights and the US Constitution.    But since it is it will never be practiced in the USA (I'm way more concerned about Christians trying to impose their moral 'laws'),   I'm not concerned. 

But I wouldn't wish to live in a foreign country under Sharia law.   (of course I wouldn't wish to live in Israel either since they are not a secular nation like the USA).     

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

45]xJ3Me1KK_bigger.jpgJoy ReidVerified account @JoyAnnReid

More

GOP source just now: "fact is right now Sessions is daring Trump to fire him."

45]xJ3Me1KK_bigger.jpgJoy ReidVerified account @JoyAnnReid

More

Sessions has reasons he wants to be there that have nothing to do with Russia or Trump. He spent decades as a back bencher dreaming of the day his agenda: slashing nonwhite immigration, re-escalating the war on drugs (including marijuana) would be enacted.

Now that he finally has the power to make it happen, makes no sense that he would go quietly.

xJ3Me1KK_bigger.jpgJoy ReidVerified account @JoyAnnReidMore

More from my GOP source: White House needs Sessions to quit. Firing him could be the rare thing that hurts Trump with deep south R voters unless they really dirty him up and make him guilty of wrongdoing or somehow disloyal to Trump.

Remember Jefferson Beauregard was the good old boy who said the Klan was ok with him until he heard they smoked marijuana.

This may be the first time in American history that a Southern white racist goes against state rights because, afterall,marijuana is legal in a handful of states --straight out and medicinal.

Plus this might be for Sessions like a kid in a candy store - - they'll be no civil rights cases investigated on his call.

No Jefferson Beauregard will not go quietly into that Black Night.

Lordy, the Trump Administration is going to be going through one constitutional crisis after another.

45]D37T13ru_bigger.jpgJay Bookman AJCVerified account @jaybookmanajc

More

Jay Bookman AJC Retweeted Ann Coulter

Out and out racism has become cool in some quarters.That's how low we have sunk....

Jay Bookman AJC added,

President Kennedy urged young people to join the Peace Corps to show that Americans wanted to do something positive and uplifting for people of all Nations, no matter their race, religion, or ethnicity.

Whereas, under Trump alt-right/white nationalist hate groups are seeing a resurgence of growth with direct encouragement from advisors

within the White House.

• Like 1