Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Joan Crawford's French Banana Salad Recipe

LornaHansonForbes

Well, as someone who always adds mayo and lettuce to her peanut butter sandwiches, I would probably like it.  But then I've always been a kindred spirit with Joan.  Pardon me now while I go rearrange my son's closet.  He can't seem to understand that his pants go on beige hangers and his shirts on the black.  (There are no wire hangers in this house.)

• Like 5

The recipe is actually swiped from a 1913 cookbook called "The Barton Cookbook" and is attributed to Mrs. A. P. Underwood.

I wonder if some clever person in the MGM publicity department, when selecting this recipe on Joan's behalf, noticed the name of the woman who submitted the salad above this one decided Joan's should be called "French Banana Salad" to fancy it up.

post-10563-0-42332400-1479322033_thumb.jpg

post-10563-0-42332400-1479322033_thumb.jpg

Maybe if the French had served this stuff to the Nazis, we wouldn't have had to save their butts again.

Well, so much for THIS little theory of yours, Rich.

Ya see, I just did a little further research into this whole thing and it seems this salad was quite popularly served during the Vichy government era.

(...it was the Free French forces who wouldn't touch the stuff...De Gaulle especially was once noted for saying, "Get that crap away from me"...in French, of course)

The recipe is actually swiped from a 1913 cookbook called "The Barton Cookbook" and is attributed to Mrs. A. P. Underwood.

I wonder if some clever person in the MGM publicity department, when selecting this recipe on Joan's behalf, noticed the name of the woman who submitted the salad above this one decided Joan's should be called "French Banana Salad" to fancy it up.

LOL. Joan did like to put on "airs".....

I wonder if this dish would work well alongside Marie Osmond’s Easy Lemon Cheesecake w/Blueberry Topping.

Maybe, but I'm thinkin' Bette Davis' recipe for her "What a Dump Cake" might be even better!

(...you DO know that that Cathy Mitchell woman with that funny voice of hers on those TV commercials stole Bette's recipe, doncha...she just dumped, err, dropped the "What a" part of it, that's all)

• Like 1

Maybe, but I'm thinkin' Bette Davis' recipe for her "What a Dump Cake" might be even better!

(...you DO know that that Cathy Mitchell woman with that funny voice of hers on those TV commercials stole Bette's recipe, doncha...she just dumped, err, dropped the "What a" part of it, that's all)

Mwahahahahaha.

the term "dump cake" tickles me to NO END.

I was just laughing at it the other day.

HOW did you figure this out?!?!

Im impressed.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings