Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thanks for Woodstock, TCM!

slaytonf

Yeah, it was great, alright!

However, I gotta say I've seen the following version of Joe Cocker's performance at Mr. Yasgur's farm on the internet and have gotten so accustomed to it that I kind'a sort'a missed watching this, ahem, "closed caption" version of it while watching this film on TCM last night...

(...sorry...just couldn't resist) ;)

My favorite performance: Crosby Stills and Nash doing "Suite: Judy Blues Eyes," a song inspired by Stephen Stills' ex-girlfriend Judy Collins.

The group lasted a long, long time, but its members are unlikely to collaborate again because David Crosby and Graham Nash are feuding.

• Like 1

If we're going to pick favorite performances,  it's a bit difficult.  Depends on what or who you liked back then as well.

For me, one of them is the  footage of the oft overlooked when talking about '60's "guitar heroes" ALVIN LEE with TEN YEARS AFTER.

Darg, the only "closed captioned" performance I recall  is COUNTRY JOE's performance of FEEL LIKE I'M FIXIN' TO DIE RAG. (Gimme an F!" ). 

Cocker's and Havens fils it out for me,with Sly hot on their heels too.  AND the WHO footage as well.

And of course, HENDRIX and his STAR SPANGLED BANNER, but then, I've LONG been a big Hendrix "freak".

I have an old VHS tape that has footage not seen in the theatrical release.  Like Jefferson Airplane, Janis joplin and Canned Heat.

Sadly, I had to wait 40 YEARS to see the JOHNNY WINTER footage of him doing "Mean Town Blues".   I'd have preferred IT instead of that JOAN BAEZ footage personally.

Sepiatone

I also like Arlo Guthrie's announcement about massive traffic jams because of the music festival: "Man, there's supposed to be a million-and-a-half people here by tonight. Can you dig that? New York State Thruway is closed, man. Lotta freaks!" 

tumblr_ngqzaoUFiY1t4oylko1_1418854704_co

For some reason I got it into my head that this would be the

director's cut version which has an additional forty minutes

of footage. Obviously it wasn't. I watched parts of it. Jefferson

Airplane and Canned Heat made an appearance. And somehow

Joe Cocker always manages to get back to the mic in time to

do his vocals. Too bad someone has never released on a

straight to video basis the rest of the performers who never

got into the released version.

Really? The schedule stated it was a director's cut

So did the closing credits.  Maybe that's why Jimi's sequence was different from what I had remembered.  I thought scenes of the trashed-out post-concert farm were shown over his national anthem (meaningful imagery).

There may be performances I like better that Richie Havens' (though not many, and not much), but I have never seen one more powerful and intense.  It's a mind-blowing opening.  It's no wonder Wadleigh stays on Havens after his act, he wants us to see his sweat-drenched shirt.  The only acts that match it are Ten Years After and Sly.

• Like 1

Really? The schedule stated it was a director's cut

That's what I thought, but I looked at Wednesday's schedule today and

it listed the running time as 184 minutes, which is that of the original

release. The DC is 40 minutes longer. I gave up around 3 a.m. because

watching folks call their mommy isn't that interesting. The DirecTV

description had it running until 4 a.m. and that would have been the

original release. The DC would have run until around 4:30. The DC

did have additional songs by Hendrix.

There may be performances I like better that Richie Havens' (though not many, and not much), but I have never seen one more powerful and intense.  It's a mind-blowing opening.  It's no wonder Wadleigh stays on Havens after his act, he wants us to see his sweat-drenched shirt.  The only acts that match it are Ten Years After and Sly.

It's incredible that Havens' reputation is based almost entirely on Woodstock.

It's incredible that Havens' reputation is based almost entirely on Woodstock.

I find it incredible that you think so..

I thought we ALL were WELL aware of Havens LONG before Woodstock.

Anyway, I always DUG this flick.  Made several trips to Downtown Detroit's MADISON THEATER which showed the movie on a VERY large screen and through the theater's incredibly fine multi-channel sound system.

I knew a guy who once told me 'round then that, "I went to see that movie and couldn't figure out what's supposed to be so GREAT about it."  When I asked, "Where'd YOU go to see it?"  because the Madison was the only place in the area I knew it was playing, and he said, "The FORT GEORGE."  well, the Fort George was a DRIVE-IN theater!!  :D

Sepiatone

I was there.  Got to Woodstock by inflatable canoe, no joke!

I was just a bit too young, but I know many many people who were there. I can pick out a few people I know on the inside of the album cover. And Arlo never left upstate NY. 

What's more impressive are those I know who saw the Beatles at Shea Stadium. You see these locations now, and they seem so tiny.

The closest I came.....

Well, a bunch of us made the attempt, but the guy who was driving us...well...his car broke down just past the Ohio border and we all sat around a few hours outside of Toledo waiting for his sister to pick us up.  :(

Sepiatone

• 2 weeks later...

4 star topic! & I couldn't agree more with you & TCM re-airing this 1970 *Oscar winning documentary-(feature)

It was he;lmed by Michael wadleigh, but *Scorsese cut his teeth in editing the epic film. Though he'd already directed 1967's "Who's That Knocking at My Door" (***)

A precursor & tune up of sorts for the legendary filmmaker in directing his own documentary feature musical masterpiece 1978's "The Last Waltz"

My mom was actually there, but was so eventually out of it towards the end-(as were most) she barely recalls Jimi Hendrix at the finale.

& as for those asinine & artificial sequels/follow ups decades later, where a bottle of water was something like $5.00 to $8.000

As the saying goes "You Can't Catch Lightning in a Bottle Twice" unquote

THANX :D

I was there.  Got to Woodstock by inflatable canoe, no joke!

I was just a bit too young, but I know many many people who were there. I can pick out a few people I know on the inside of the album cover. And Arlo never left upstate NY. 

What's more impressive are those I know who saw the Beatles at Shea Stadium. You see these locations now, and they seem so tiny.

COOL BEANS!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Joan Baez will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on April 7, 2017. I've always loved her rendition of "Joe Hill" at Woodstock.

Her response to the news of her upcoming induction: "I never considered myself to be a rock and roll artist. But as part of the folk music boom which contributed to and influenced the rock revolution of the Sixties, I am proud that some of the songs I sang made their way into the rock lexicon. I very much appreciate this honor and acknowledgement by the Hall of Fame."

The other members of the Class of 2017: Pearl Jam, the late rapper Tupac Shakur, the Electric Light Orchestra, Journey and Yes. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2016/12/20/rock-and-roll-hall-fame-taps-tupac-journey-pearl-jam/95616556/?hootPostID=0ff094e4b48eab2d3f2c8189eaa42191

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings