Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone recognize this house?

Richard Kimble

FF to 0:35

It seems like I've seen it somewhere before

I think that house(and which, yes Doc, looks awfully familiar to me too) might be a product of famed L.A.-based architect Richard Neutra.

(...but this is only a guess)

I think that house(and which, yes Doc, looks awfully familiar to me too) might be a product of famed L.A.-based architect Richard Neutra.

(...but this is only a guess)

I poked around a bit, and Schindler is another name that came up.  Lots of square boxes, with tall windows, also an occasional A-frame.

http://www.ncmodernist.org/schindler.htm

• Like 1

Everytime I click on to one of these all too prevalent YouTube links, I get a YouTube page, but with a message in the box which the video ias supposed to be seen that tells me I need Adobe Flash payer to see it.  So, I download it, wait for it to download and go back and STILL can't see the video and STILL get the same damned message.

So, STOP with the sensless You Tube crap already! 

Sepiatone

Everytime I click on to one of these all too prevalent YouTube links, I get a YouTube page, but with a message in the box which the video ias supposed to be seen that tells me I need Adobe Flash payer to see it.  So, I download it, wait for it to download and go back and STILL can't see the video and STILL get the same damned message.

So, STOP with the sensless You Tube crap already! 

Sepiatone

Which browser are you using?

I poked around a bit, and Schindler is another name that came up.  Lots of square boxes, with tall windows, also an occasional A-frame.

http://www.ncmodernist.org/schindler.htm

Nice find, MCOH. Yes, Rudolf Schindler was another notable L.A.-based architect specializing in what is now known as Mid-Century Modern.

I enjoyed looking at the website, however after scanning through it I didn't happen upon the specific house that Doc Kimble is looking for.

Btw and FWIW, and speaking of famed architects...As a teenager I attended art classes inside the Frank Lloyd Wright designed and now L.A. landmark "Hollyhock House"(the Hollyhock GUEST House actually, and as seen below), and which was commissioned in 1919 by a member of a then very rich and influential family by the name of Barnsdall, and which sits atop a small hill in the eastern Hollywood area of L.A.

Aline Barnsdall would gift the entire estate to the City of Los Angeles in 1927.

residenceAbarnsdall.jpeg

If interested and for more reading on this, visit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollyhock_House

• Like 1

Nice find, MCOH. Yes, Rudolf Schindler was another notable L.A.-based architect specializing in what is now known as Mid-Century Modern.

I enjoyed looking at the website, however after scanning through it I didn't happen upon the specific house that Doc Kimble is looking for.

I just noticed this, I happened to click on a link which took me to this parent folder on the same website.  A big list of architects.  I plan on looking at this later myself.

http://www.ncmodernist.org/masters.html

Which browser are you using?

AOL.  But it doesn't matter.  When I tried it another time once before on Explorer it did the same.

Sepiatone

You need a new browser. Step into 2003.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paidsearch&utm_campaign=Brand-US-GGL-Exact&utm_term=mozila%20firefox&gclid=Cj0KEQiAx7XBBRCdyNOw6PLHrYABEiQAJtyEQ_xtZY9Xgpp2GFqfOoiHS8FJ7sZoKH6Iqj1JhYIIZYcaAlkP8P8HAQ

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95346?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

If you have vision issues, both FF and Chrome offer the great NoSquint extension.

• Like 3

AOL.  But it doesn't matter.  When I tried it another time once before on Explorer it did the same.

Sepiatone

Just a WAG on my part, but Adobe Flash may have stopped supporting older versions of IE (mainly in the interest of plugging up very old IE security holes).  AOL used to use parts of IE, so that probably explains the uniformity in failure. 

In the interest of security, there is also a new "HTML5" video player built into modern browsers which support the current HTML5 Internet standards.  So the latest and greatest video player is now built-in to the browser.  Flash is still around, but it is slowly being deprecated on video hosting sites.  Youtube has been phasing Flash out in favor of HTML5, and someday Flash will no longer be used at all.  All you need to do is move to a current browser, like Chrome or Firefox.

Just a WAG on my part, but Adobe Flash may have stopped supporting older versions of IE (mainly in the interest of plugging up very old IE security holes).  AOL used to use parts of IE, so that probably explains the uniformity in failure. 

In the interest of security, there is also a new "HTML5" video player built into modern browsers which support the current HTML5 Internet standards.  So the latest and greatest video player is now built-in to the browser.  Flash is still around, but it is slowly being deprecated on video hosting sites.  Youtube has been phasing Flash out in favor of HTML5, and someday Flash will no longer be used at all.  All you need to do is move to a current browser, like Chrome or Firefox.

In light of that, you have to wonder why YouTube insists I download ADOBE FLASH.

Sepiatone

In light of that, you have to wonder why YouTube insists I download ADOBE FLASH.

Sepiatone

Probably not intended.  Remember you are seeing this using obsolete software.  Try one of Richard Kimble's links.  I would recommend Google Chrome, mainly because it is meant to be easy to use.  Firefox has been around a lot longer and has many more add-on options for customization.

You can have more than one browser installed on your machine at the same time, so there is no real risk in doing this.  This will be at least a second browser for anyone on a Windows machine.

• Like 1

FF to 0:35

It seems like I've seen it somewhere before

It may be that it just looks similar to other houses of the same era.  But it seems to be a real house, not a movie set.  Perhaps in Bel-air.  Those look like the Santa Monica hills--um--Mountains.

Yeah, Doc. Close anyway, and I can see why these two homes reminded you of each other.

Ya know, it's been a while since I've watched DIVORCE AMERICAN STYLE, but I remember a number of high end upscale SoCal hillside homes being featured in that movie also, and because this sequence you provided of A GUIDE FOR THE MARRIED MAN had Carl Reiner in it and who was/is a close associate of Dick Van Dyke who starred in DAS, and with both of these films being made in 1967, I was wondering if maybe the house in question might have been in that film also?

Or might this be too much of a reach?

(...hey, HERE'S an idea!...anybody have Carl Reiner's phone number?...I saw where his best friend Mel Brooks has recently jokingly remarked that Carl is still functioning at a good 85 percent of his mental capacity, and so IF we can get a'hold of Carl, maybe HE remembers somethin' about that freakin' house and maybe what other flick its been in, HUH?!...'cause THIS is now drivin' me CRAZY...er!)

;)

Yeah, Doc. Close anyway, and I can see why these two homes reminded you of each other.

Ya know, it's been a while since I've watched DIVORCE AMERICAN STYLE, but I remember a number of high end upscale SoCal hillside homes being featured in that movie also, and because this sequence you provided of A GUIDE FOR THE MARRIED MAN had Carl Reiner in it and who was a close associate of Dick Van Dyke who starred in DAS, and with both of these films being made in 1967, I was wondering if maybe the house in question might have been in that film also?

(...or might this be too much of a reach?)

It's been quite awhile since I've seen DAS too, so I can't really comment.

The GFTMM house does seem like the kind of place a Hollywood type would have. Maybe it was one of those deals where the owner was a studio bigwig or agent and made some $ by renting his house to the production company (a popular way to make extra money in the biz).

There is a house that shows up quite a bit on The Rockford Files -- sort of a faux Olde English at the top of small hill on rather leafy grounds. I'm curious to know where that house is but I've never researched it.

It's been quite awhile since I've seen DAS too, so I can't really comment.

The GFTMM house does seem like the kind of place a Hollywood type would have. Maybe it was one of those deals where the owner was a studio bigwig or agent and made some $ by renting his house to the production company (a popular way to make extra money in the biz).

Yeah, I was thinkin' the same thing here.

(...btw...did you see my new edited previous post about maybe contacting Carl Reiner?...whaddaya think?) 

;)

I believe I wrote both Carl and DVD fan letters in the 90s. Never got a reply.

Well, I HAVE heard that playing Alan Brady wasn't that much of a stretch for Carl.

And for THAT matter, that DVD does the absolute WORST Cockney accent imaginable.

(...but I could only ever confirm the latter...although that was according to a few Brits I know...and you just can't trust those superfluous-u users, ya know)

• Like 1

Probably not intended.  Remember you are seeing this using obsolete software.  Try one of Richard Kimble's links.  I would recommend Google Chrome, mainly because it is meant to be easy to use.  Firefox has been around a lot longer and has many more add-on options for customization.

You can have more than one browser installed on your machine at the same time, so there is no real risk in doing this.  This will be at least a second browser for anyone on a Windows machine.

I use Firefox, I love the addons. Microsoft has gone away from the explorer. The windows 10 now uses  "Edge" as their main browser. So I would expect them to soon stop supporting the explorer at some point. 

The tech world is really not the place to hold on to old stand bys. I had to learn this the hard way.

I do love Joey Bishop "Who ? What ?  Where ? "    :lol:   

I use Firefox, I love the addons. Microsoft has gone away from the explorer. The windows 10 now uses  "Edge" as their main browser. So I would expect them to soon stop supporting the explorer at some point. 

The tech world is really not the place to hold on to old stand bys. I had to learn this the hard way.

I do love Joey Bishop "Who ? What ?  Where ? "    :lol:   

I use Firefox on my Internet-facing Linux Mint computers (one laptop and one desktop).  The Firefox Linux build is identical to its Windows build, just like with Chrome.  I only use Windows when I absolutely need to (offline video editing).

As far as Firefox extensions go, the large base of add-ons is more useful to me than the aesthetics of the browser itself.  In many cases it saves me from having to use various and sundry external applications - such as with the "Youtube Audio and Video Downloader" add-on.  As an added bonus Firefox encourages their add-on devs (and you) to keep everything up to date.  Not so with random little applications you find around on the Internet.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings