Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shelley Duvall is not well.

LornaHansonForbes

Shelley seems to be suffering from a form of dementia / early stages of Alzheimers.  She is 67. Better judgement should be made on airing this, by which it should not.  People only cares about ratings.

Letter from Vivian Kubrick to Dr Phill

Dear Dr. Phil

You are putting Shelley Duvall ‘on show’ while she is suffering from a pitiable state of ill health. Unquestionably, this is purely a form of lurid and exploitative entertainment - it’s appallingly cruel.

Shelley Duvall was a movie star ... whatever dignity a mere unfortunate creature might have in this world, is denied her by your displaying her in this way.

I recoil in complete disgust. I hope others will join me in boycotting your utterly heartless form of entertainment, because it has nothing to do with compassionate healing.

Sincerely disgusted,

Vivian Kubrick.

• Like 10

ps- Dr Phil is THE WOOOOOOORST.

Yep!

I've said for years and since that folksy charlatan came on the scene, that all his little program is is nothing but a Jerry Springer-style freak show that showcases people wanting their fifteen minutes of fame.

And, it's bad enough when he "showcases" people with somewhat minor emotional problems, but when such as this he believes his folksy little advice is going to help someone, and whether a celebrity or not, and who's obviously suffering from a form of psychosis and not just emotional issues, and simply in attempts to get a higher television rating, this is when I believe the man himself should seek out the services of a good shrink.

(...just can't believe this guy is still in the public eye...but then again I think we all know how someone so damn "folksy" can often catch the imagination of the American public)

• Like 5

Shelley seems to be suffering from a form of dementia / early stages of Alzheimers.  She is 67. Better judgement should be made on airing this, by which it should not.  People only cares about ratings.

Letter from Vivian Kubrick to Dr Phill

Dear Dr. Phil

You are putting Shelley Duvall ‘on show’ while she is suffering from a pitiable state of ill health. Unquestionably, this is purely a form of lurid and exploitative entertainment - it’s appallingly cruel.

Shelley Duvall was a movie star ... whatever dignity a mere unfortunate creature might have in this world, is denied her by your displaying her in this way.

I recoil in complete disgust. I hope others will join me in boycotting your utterly heartless form of entertainment, because it has nothing to do with compassionate healing.

Sincerely disgusted,

Vivian Kubrick.

I guess he's run out of husbands to browbeat.

This woman is struggling to make it day to day. I hope this doesn't make matters worse for her.

Not everything needs to be thrown into a fishbowl for public consumption.

• Like 4

Yep!

I've said for years and since that folksy charlatan came on the scene, that all his little program is is nothing but a Jerry Springer-style freak show that showcases people wanting their fifteen minutes of fame.

And, it's bad enough when he "showcases" people with somewhat minor emotional problems, but when such as this he believes his folksy little advice is going to help someone, and whether a celebrity or not, and who's obviously suffering from a form of psychosis and not just emotional issues, and simply in attempts to get a higher television rating, this is when I believe the man himself should seek out the services of a good shrink.

(...just can't believe this guy is still in the public eye...but then again I think we all know how someone so damn "folksy" can often catch the imagination of the American public)

I ask the question WHY would they want to air their dysfunctional lives on television?  Is it for fame, money, wanting people to feel sorry for them?  Sometimes I wonder if some of this is nothing but an elaborate hoax cooked up by the family for such.

Got marriage issues...see a marriage counselor.

Doubtful on "who's the daddy"....get a DNA test.

Parents paid no attention to me....buy a pacifier and suck on it.

Have mental health issues....check into a mental health facility  (there's enough nutjobs in Washington to watch).

Want a doctor with ETHICS....see someone else besides Phil.

• Like 3

as someone who struggles with mental illness himself, I FEEL FOR YOU SHELLEY.

Yeah.  But,  Shelly's mental illness comes as a SURPRISE.  Yours doesn't!   ;)

But in seriousness, this is sad to learn.  I always thought she was a damned fine actress.  No doubt, the PERFECT choice for OLIVE OYL in the "Popeye"  movie.  My ex went through a similar type bout before she died of a cerebral hemorrage.  I hope better for Shelly.  And the ex was only 52.

BTW...LOVED that "Thumb with a moustache" comment though.  But you gotta sorta feel for Phil though.  He's run out of husbands to browbeat because STEVE WILKOS stole all of them!

Sepiatone

• Like 2

It's also worth noting that Shelley Duvall is a splendid actress, her work in THREE WOMEN and THE SHINING is right up there with the best given by an actor in the seventies.

(edit- yeah, I know THE SHINING was 1980.)

Wish TCM would show 3 Women. Wonderful movie. Havent seen it in years. (I think they did run it once years ago).....

She should've received an Oscar nomination for that.

• Like 1

Yeah.  But,  Shelly's mental illness comes as a SURPRISE.  Yours doesn't!   ;)

But in seriousness, this is sad to learn.  I always thought she was a damned fine actress.  No doubt, the PERFECT choice for OLIVE OYL in the "Popeye"  movie.  My ex went through a similar type bout before she died of a cerebral hemorrage.  I hope better for Shelly.  And the ex was only 52.

There were reports of her being a bit "out there" long before retirement and Dr. Phil--He was just the jerk for putting it on display.

And at least the article remembered her labor-of-love work producing "Faerie Tale Theater" in the 80's.

If we had to remember Shelley for anything other than Altman (including Olive), The Shining or Roxanne...

• Like 1

Oh, my beloved Shelley!  I have always been a fan of hers since childhood.  I grew up watching Faerie Tale Theatre and her gloriously off-kilter TV movie Mother Goose Rock 'n' Rhymeland (look it up on Youtube!).  As others have said, her performances in 3 Women, Popeye and The Shining are brilliant.  I would also point people to her delightful performance as Bud Cort's girlfriend in Brewster McCloud (her first movie) as well as her more serious turn in Thieves Like Us.  She was not a trained actress and apparently had no intentions of being one until she was spotted by a couple of Altman's assistants who were drawn to her "kooky" nature and thought the director should see her.  Her performances have always been sparked by a free-spirited, totally non-technical energy that makes her so memorable.  She was a perfect match for Altman, and I regret that she didn't play more lead roles for him.

I truly hope that in spite of this ugly exploitation, some good comes out of it and she receives the help she really deserves.

• Like 2

An old series on PBS called "Short Story" filmed full-hour stories from well-known literary works. Shelley played Bernice in "Bernice Bobs Her Hair" by F.Scott Fitzgerald and was cute as a button. Her opposite was Bud Cort so you can see how wonderfully they would be together. A diminutive classic IMO.

The Dr Phil thing is nauseating. Does he have any idea how this comes across?

I stand corrected on a prior notion that Shelley was Robert's daughter. RoyCronin put me straight on that. Thanks.

Edited by laffite
  • Like 2

The only thing I can add is the idea that great art endures-it can touch many people over time and transcend beyond cultures. Shelly Duvall's extraordinary work will speak for her, while slimy "Dr" Phil will be forgotten. (he's so obviously not a real doctor)

Can you imagine how it feels to be publicly humiliated like that? A sensitive person like her? Oy.

I am surprised to read comments here that she was not a trained actress, but a natural talent. So glad the library stocks Fairie Tale Theater, which is an absolute classic. A few years ago I binged on it & was blown away by the creativity & quality.

It takes real moxie to forge a new path "in the business" instead of just waiting for a good acting job to come along.

Thank you Shelly, for your wonderful contribution to so many lives through entertainment. We love you for it.

• Like 3

Quote of the Year nominee right here.

(honestly, I'm touched...in more ways than one (ba-dump-bump.))

I'm just glad you took it in the spirit that it was given.  In another forum I belong to, a member recently quit because he couldn't recognize such stuff as "tongue-in-cheek" good natured "playful banter".   He thought people were seriously insulting him!

We actually meant him no more harm than Fred Allen did to Jack Benny, and vice-versa.

Sepiatone

An old series on PBS called "Short Story" filmed full-hour stories from well-known literary works. Shelley played Bernice in "Bernice Bobs Her Hair" by F.Scott Fitzgerald and was cute as a button. Her opposite was Bud Cort so you can see how wonderfully they would be together. A diminutive classic IMO.

The Dr Phil thing is nauseating. Does he have any idea how this comes across?

I stand corrected on a prior notion that Shelley was Robert's daughter. RoyCronin put me straight on that. Thanks.

I remember that too!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings