Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SPTO

Actors/actresses you just can't stand

If this has been posted before I apologize.

I've tried YET again to watch a Charles Boyer film. I just can't get into him at all. I don't know what it is. It's certainly not the acting because he had some great performances but there's just something unsettling about him. Maybe it's the face and the voice that puts me off. I know that's kind of petty but everytime I see and hear him I want to turn off my TV!

OK your turn now.

I feel the same way, but he is brilliant in "Gaslight" with Ingrid Bergman. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out! A great supporting job by Joseph Cotten as well!

Hollis

The one actor I can't stand is Dana Andrews. Something about his voice drives me up the wall!

I wouldn't say I just can't stand him, but this particular actor is always hit-and-miss with me. I liked him in It's A Mad, Mad, Mad Mad World and Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?, but that's about it. A great actor, no doubt, but I have a real tough time watching Spencer Tracy movies.

You know, I bet the question has, but the responses from the new people are interesting.

Dana Andrews??? Wow, I loved him in Laura, there WOULD be no Laura for me without Dana Andrews (and of course the gorgeous Gene and amazing Clifton). Now, I can't say any other movies with him in them come to mind, but like Judy Garland whom I can't stand outside of WofOz, Laura IS Dana Andrews and Dana IS Laura!

My nails on the blackboard actors: John Wayne, Clark Gable, Gary Cooper, Bette Davis (whom I used to appreciate a LOT more before I had TCM), Joan Crawford, and the king of all NonBB -- Marlon Brando. I'm sure there are others, but they're not coming to mind right now.

I like Dana Andrews - very handsome and a good actor in my opinion. I also like Marlon Brando - but I think everyone knows that already!! LOL

Actors/Actresses that I can't stand to watch are: Ingrid Bergman, Audrey Hepburn, Katherine Hepburn, Spencer Tracey, Victor Mature, Mickey Rooney for starters.

Just for the voices that I always cringe when I hear them speak:

1.- Wallace Beery

2.- Jean Arthur

3.- Marlene Dietrich

4.- June Allyson

Bartlett

I'm just curious - I notice lots of people don't like Brando - I guess either people like him or can't stand him. Anyway, is it that you think he's a lousy actor or are you just looking at his eccentric behavior and personal life or a combination of both?

I guess I just was looking at the movies On The Waterfront and Streetcar Named Desire and thought those were the best performances I've ever seen any actor give. Just wondering why he grates on some people so much....LOL

Good question.

John Wayne annoys the hell out of me and in my opinion, except for Stagecoach, I have not had the stomach to watch one other movie of his. I don't like his rug, I don't like his physique, nor his bowlegged walk, nor his line delivery. In toto, there is just nothing about him I can take, and I find it interesting that so many people like him and can actually watch a movie with him in it.

However, with Brando I don't have the exact same antipathy. With Brando, I can watch The Godfather over and over and realize what an excellent performance he gave. In addition, I found his self-deprecating mockery in The Freshman to be delightful. I can't watch Apocalypse Now because I know the steer was slaughtered on camera (yes, it was) and that movie is damned to my personal hell. However, I think he gave a good performance in that, although he was veering towards his bloated, self-important, look at me I'm an actor persona.

That's what I think I dislike about Brando, he seems to have taken himself waaaaaaaaaaaay too seriously in his early days and in some of his latter films as well. To believe the girl in Last Tango In Paris would go to bed with that whale is suspension of belief that only an ice pick to the brain would conceivably bring about.

Of course, it wasn't completely his fault. Hollyweird no doubt put him on some sort of pedestal because he was so bankable. He just believed, imo erroneously, in his press.

But yes, he was good in On The Waterfront but so was Rod Steiger amazing. Blanche just **** me off in Streetcar, so I can't watch that one again either.

And that, as they say, is my two cents.

Many think Brando is greatest movie actor of all. But that is an opinion. I think I can add to the 2 you posted "The Godfather" and "The Missouri Breaks (1976)"

But all Actors do not appeal to all film goer's. I never thought he was all-that.(IMHO) if we all liked the same actors/actresses' there wouldn't be as many folks starring in films....

Mr Mumbles (given to him by Frank Sinatra)

vallo

Marlon Brando

Liz Taylor (the best thing about her EVER was Richard Burton)

Rock Hudson

Doris Day

Frank Sinatra

Dean Martin

Woody Allen

Sly Stallone (most of all, more than anything) it goads me that he's even called an actor!

I love your post Stoneyburke!!!

I agree with ya about John Wayne.

About Brando - I didn't like Apocalypse Now either - and I'll be the first to admit that he made some real clunkers - but even those are interesting because he's in it. I didn't think he was that heavy in Tango - a little plump - but I think it was a few years after that he put on the weight. I'm really not sure if he took himself seriously, I read that he was somewhat mischevious and played lots of pranks on his co-stars. I'm not sure if he thought of himself as very important - because he seemed to be a person that had very low self-esteem and didn't see himself as anything special and didn't even think his performance in On The Waterfront was very good. He just seemed like someone who didn't realize his acting talent and the way he wound up was tragic...his personal life eventually overtook his acting - but I still think he had many good movies and was an exceptional actor who was beset with too many personal problems.

I think in "Last Tango" he was in his pre-whale days. It was done the same year (imdb.com) that "The Godfather" was filmed. I'm more inclined to agree with you about taking himself so seriously.

I can watch "Apocalypse Now" until he shows up. It's more about the movie coming to a grinding halt while he rambles on and on and on. I know his character is the reason for the mission but the end is far too long coming for me.

I can't watch Apocalypse Now at all. The beginning is dull as could be - and the movie in general is too long and doesn't hold my interest.

I don't think anyone really knows what made Brando tick - including Brando.

Hello,

I watched most of the January TCM tribute to Jean Arthur. I don't EVER need to hear more of Jean Arthur's voice. Now, I was okay with Ms. Arthur's voice until her movie "Arizona". During "Arizona", I heard squeaky and crackly AND western drawl-ly Arthur voice. During most of "Arizona", I did not have too much of a problem listening to squeaky/crackly/drawl-ly Arthur...no problem until Jean Arthur said, "the cattle look gant". I wondered, "what the heck is 'gant'?" I soon realized she said, "the cattle look gaunt". I decided at the moment of my realization, I had had enough of Jean Arthur.

I did not even watch the Jean Arthur movie after the movie "Arizona".

The one performer (I won't call him a star) I cannot STAND is Nick Adams. Don't know Nick Adams? Don't bother. And the only reason I mention Nick Adams is because I just watched two AIP movies starring the oily bas****.

Rusty

Without a doubt, Rock Hudson and Doris Day. Both dull as dishwater. Interestingly, I haven't seen a film they've done together, I can't even imagine what that's like.

Jean Arthur is my favorite actress, lol, and I've grown to love her voice, but I do not blame anyone who wanted to stab themselves during "Arizona;" because her voice really was annoying in that movie. I think it was the whole western accent going on...pretty bad. But I still love her.

Actresses

Marilyn Monroe (who ever said she could act was seriously smoking pot.)

Doris Day

Debbie Reynolds (I almost want to gouge my eyeballs out while watching any movie with her in it. I'm not kidding.)

Joan Crawford (I believe she was a very good actress, but there's something about her that totally annoys me.)

June Allyson

Greta Garbo

Jeanne Crain

Audrey Hepburn

Actors

Errol Flynn (I find myself gagging just thinking of him. Flynn was such a pansy.)

Randolph Scott

Montgomery Clift

Rock Hudson

Tony Curtis

Oh my goodness...I know I have more, but I cannot think right now. I swear, if somebody had a gun to my head and asked this very question, I'd be dead. Anyhow, there's my incomplete list.

Sharon

Message was edited by:

Topsey

> > John Wayne annoys the hell out of me and in my

> opinion, except for Stagecoach, I have not had the

> stomach to watch one other movie of his. I don't like

> his rug, I don't like his physique, nor his bowlegged

> walk, nor his line delivery.

John Wayne didn't walk bow-legged. John Wayne walked pigeon-toed and knock-kneed.

> Without a doubt, Rock Hudson and Doris Day. Both dull

> as dishwater. Interestingly, I haven't seen a film

> they've done together, I can't even imagine what

> that's like.

Can you imagine hilarious? Start there

1. Marilyn Monroe -- can't act.

2. early Elizabeth Taylor -- I can never watch GIANT because her acting is just so irritating in it, and her other films from the '40s and '50s. I don't mind later Taylor.

3. Bette Davis -- I have kind of a love/hate reaction towards her. Sometimes I think she is incredibly annoying and hammy, other times I think she's wonderful.

4. Miriam Hopkins (too stagey)

5. John Wayne (too masculine)

6. Ann Blyth (I like her, but her performances always annoy me)

7. Ingrid Bergman (such a bland actress; she is like sugar-free vanilla ice cream)

8. Charles Boyer

9. Victor Mature (I just think he is ugly)

10. Franchot Tone (annoying personality..the same in every film I have seen)

Can't stand Marlon Brando, and most actors of today. They think that money is more important than acting. Like Tom Cruise. The only actor I enjoy is Johnny Depp.

I don't dislike any particular actor/actress. Sometimes I don't like them in a certain movie, but then maybe I would enjoy their performance in another film. I also can't see the disliking of Marlon Brando which seems to be overwhelming on this thread. He doesn't bother me and I if I had to voice an opinion on him, I 'd say he was one of the better actors. Some of his earlier performances are amongst the greatest ever made.

Speaking of Johnny Depp, he is a very good actor who happened to get some acting instruction from his mentor and good friend Marlon Brando.