Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Most Illustrious Pernell Roberts

Palmerin

Would you agree that, of the four Cartwrights, Roberts was the best actor?; he certainly had a vigor and earnestness that overshadowed the other three.

A very sweet factoid about TRAPPER JOHN, MD, which in PR was named HOMBRES DE BLANCO=MEN IN WHITE: my sister was so inspired by that show that she resolved to study medicine, and is now a nurse practitioner who cares for old people, such as our mother.

As I have five nieces who also went into nursing, I salute your sister.  When they were still students, I took a peek into their textbooks.  There's NO WAY I'D have ever made it!  And when I was hospialized, and when my wife was in there so long this year, I see how much harder they work compared to the much higher paid doctors.

Anyway....

I remember Roberts as ADAM in BONANZA when I was a kid.  He always just struck me as the "intellectual" of the Cartwright brothers, And in my circle, HOSS was everybody's  favorite guy on the show.

I was kind of glad to see him still around when he did TRAPPER JOHN, M.D., and also glad to see he didn't try to hide his baldness.  Like I learned he did on BONANZA.

His character Adam was kind of reasonable, stern, and

a bit on the dull side. Hoss and Little Joe were much more

broadly drawn--Hoss the gentle giant and Joe the young

but well meaning hothead. So Adam was a little more

difficult to play. I saw the "Joe Cartwright, Detective" episode

tonight and though it was pretty much over the top, it was

still pretty funny.

He has one of those names that could easily be juxtaposed.  Like, he could just as easily been "Robert Pernell"  just like JAMES STEWART could have been  "Stewart James".  As another could have been "Dean James".  or "Douglas Kirk".  Or even  "Leonard Sheldon".  :)

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings