Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Films on Show

man4allseasons

No disrespect, but what happened to the classics. TCM has been my favourite channel for years, but now the classics seem to have been replaced by unheralded films from this century. I refer to Nordic TCM in particular. Maybe it's just a regional change in programmining. Or perhaps the global audience has changed whilst I switched channels.

We've discussed this before.  I think it was settled, or at least resigned to TCM defining "classic" in a more inclusive way, or possibly trying to attract a younger audience.  I'm not sure.  But they still show enough of the films YOU might think of as "classics" to keep ME coming back.

And WELCOME to the boards!

Sepiatone

The main US TCM and the international versions of TCM are completely different. They're victims of the whims of the European branch of Turner and channel drift. The US TCM isn't anything like that, fortunately.

As for "settled" or "resigned," TCM was showing stuff from the 1980s from its very first month of existence. If they've been going for a "younger audience," well it seems they've been doing that since April 1994.

One of the labors of Hercules was to kill the hydra, a nine-headed monster.  Eight of the heads were mortal, and could be dispatched.  The ninth was immortal.  All Hercules could do was bury it under a big rock.  The immortal hydra head of the Message Boards is the complaint of TCM betraying its origins.  In thread after thread, and exhaustively it has been discussed and demonstrated repeatedly that TCM is doing just what it has always said it would do, and has done so ever since the first night it was on.  That is to highlight movies and stars of both the studio era, and contemporary times.  The only change that has happened is that over the years, as the post-studio era has grown, TCM has shown movies of increasingly later date.  All the time, the ratio of studio to post-studio movies has remained constant. But the complaint still arises.  We need to get a bigger rock.

• Like 1

One of the labors of Hercules was to kill the hydra, a nine-headed monster.  Eight of the heads were mortal, and could be dispatched.  The ninth was immortal.  All Hercules could do was bury it under a big rock.  The immortal hydra head of the Message Boards is the complaint of TCM betraying its origins.  In thread after thread, and exhaustively it has been discussed and demonstrated repeatedly that TCM is doing just what it has always said it would do, and has done so ever since the first night it was on.  That is to highlight movies and stars of both the studio era, and contemporary times.  The only change that has happened is that over the years, as the post-studio era has grown, TCM has shown movies of increasingly later date.  All the time, the ratio of studio to post-studio movies has remained constant. But the complaint still arises.  We need to get a bigger rock.

To be fair to the OP, he is a new guy and is in Europe where TCM is much different. It could be worse though. TCM South America truly bites the big one.

Actually JonasEB----

"settled"  and "resigned"  was in referrence to the feelings among members of the BOARDS.

But of course, it's been an issue among some of THOSE who resent ANYthig shown that dates PAST 1960.  I don't really care.

Until the execs at TCM grant me some authority and pay me a salary, they can screen any movies they wish.  I don't watch or even LIKE everything they program anyway.  And it certainly won't hurt them if I decide to NEVER watch them again. 

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings