Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Spurts"

Sepiatone

A few weeks ago or so, I started a thread titled "James Coburn" which wasn't about him and his filmography, nor a discussion of him as an actor.

Instead, it was about my seeing him all over the "classic"  TV show channels I watch.  Like MeTV, Antenna TV, Decades, and some that show up on H&I.  Like....

THE RIFLEMAN,  HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL,  WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE,  THE REBEL,  WAGON TRAIN,  RAWHIDE and maybe too, PERRY MASON and a few TWILIGHT ZONE reruns.

I've come to think of these types of frequent but close together appearances like those as "spurts".  Because it didn't only happen with Coburn, but a couple or so others have been showing up a lot recently, and seemingly all in the same week!  And at least TWO EACH of all the shows I mentioned.

A week or so ago, it was DABS GREER who made several appearances in a few each of those shows.  Four different characters in four different episodes of "Rifleman".  A couple of "Rawhide" appearances, and so on. 

Last week(and into Mon.) it was JOHN DEHNER.  A slick con man in a "Rawhide", A vengeful religious fanatic in a "Rifleman".  Some other kind of classy guy in another "Rifleman" and various other types in a few episodes each of the remaining. 

I'm not ccomplaining, mind you.  I've always LIKED those guys.  I was actually delighted.  I can remember growing up seeing those two on TV SOMEwhere ever since I can remember even WATCHING TV since I was a kid.  It's like being visited by two old dear friends.

Any of you ever catch anything like these "spurts" I'm talkin' about?

Incidentally, the DEHNER "spurt" ended when I tuned in to watch the movie "Jagged Edge" last night, after seeing him earlier that day in something else.  In "Edge" he played a judge.

Sepiatone

Yep, Sepia.

Remember Myron Healey here?...

myron-healey-3-sized.jpg

Just last night I caught him in a minor role as a company president on an episode of "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour", and within the last month or so, I caught him on an episode of "Perry Mason" and a couple of TV westerns, "Have Gun, Will Travel" and "Wagon Train".

(...btw...never thought he looked like a "Myron", but maybe more a "Jim" or "Jack" or "Bob"...guess I have some preconceived ideas as to what a "Myron" is supposed to look like, huh...YOU know, kind'a "nerdy"!) ;)

Not exactly a "spurt" (at least not yet) but......

MeTV  shows two back-to-back episodes of THE RIFLEMAN each afternoon at 3:00 pm. EST.

This afternoon, each episode had veteran character actor JOHN ANDERSON in the cast.

On the first, he was some kind of odd mountain man who eventually lays down a challenge to Lucas.  In the second,  one half of a pair of brothers who are known for "free lance" ranch work and itinerant trouble makers who harrass a man come to town to wed some "old maid" landowner the brothers had a grudge against.

This made the FIFTH  episode I've seen Anderson in over the last few months.  Never the same guy twice.  He was another one who was all over TV back in the "day".  Always liked him too.

Sepiatone

Not exactly a "spurt" (at least not yet) but......

MeTV  shows two back-to-back episodes of THE RIFLEMAN each afternoon at 3:00 pm. EST.

This afternoon, each episode had veteran character actor JOHN ANDERSON in the cast.

On the first, he was some kind of odd mountain man who eventually lays down a challenge to Lucas.  In the second,  one half of a pair of brothers who are known for "free lance" ranch work and itinerant trouble makers who harrass a man come to town to wed some "old maid" landowner the brothers had a grudge against.

This made the FIFTH  episode I've seen Anderson in over the last few months.  Never the same guy twice.  He was another one who was all over TV back in the "day".  Always liked him too.

Sepiatone

Well GEEZ, Sepia ol' buddy!

You never SAID the "rules" of this thing stated that you had to notice some frequently seen B-list guest actor on these old TV shows at least FIVE TIMES, dude?!!!

(...heck, if I'd known that BEFOREHAND, I wouldn't have bothered mentioning MYRON down there!!!)  ;)

LOL

• Like 1

There's no "rules", as this isn't a game.  "Spurts"is just a term I came up with to describe the compressed frequency in which I spot certain actors on some of these shows.

Myron's just a guy who yes, I often see, but had NO idea who he was, or his name as well. 

So,  don't feel bad.  ;)

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings