Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who Gave the most menacing performance you remember?

This might be fun! I don't recall seeing it amongst the threads, but correct me if I'm wrong, please. For me, there are two. Robert Mitchum in "Night of the Hunter" and Anthony Hopkins in "Silence of the Lambs." add to the list as you'd like! All are welcome!

Hollis

For me it would be Vic Morrow playing the deliquent student, Artie West, in BLACKBOARD JUNGLE.

Vic Morrow was a master at playing menacing characters - there are quite a few roles where he played a scary character - and he seemed to excel in it better than anyone I can think of.

Message was edited by:

movielover11

My first thought would have been Robert Mitchum - even when he didn't play a "menacing" character - he still was scary looking to me.

Reading movielovers choice of Vic Morrow made me agree with that also. I wouldn't have thought of him - but yea, he played one of the worst characters - that lousy kid who couldn't be redeemed in Blackboard Jungle. He was great in that role - so I'll pick him as well.

OMG - I just remembered the WORST menacing performance in movie history - It has to be Richard Widmark playing Tommy Udo in Kiss of Death....he had that maniacle laugh with his huge teeth sticking out of his mouth....this has to be the winner of all winners for "menacing" performance.

Another just popped into the empty space between my ears... How about Sharon Stone in "Basic Instinct" (and her lookalike lover Roxy as well, though I can't recall the actresses name.)

Hollis

Every time I see the scene in "Goodfellas" with Robert DeNiro standing at the bar taking a drag on his cigarette looking at the guy approaching him to demand his share of the heist money, puts a chill down my spine. If that is not a menacing look what is?

My vote also goes to Richard Widmark as Tommy Udo in Kiss of Death. I never saw such a despicable character - pushing the old woman in the wheelchair down the steps while laughing sadistically. Oh, that Richard Widmark was such a glorious actor....who else could provide such entertainment???

You guys are amazing. I've got a list a mile long of films I'm going to have to see based upon your postings. Thanks! And how about Bette Davis in "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane" opposite Joan Crawford?

Hollis

I'm glad to see that someone else remembers "The Incident." I saw it in 9th grade Citizenship class along with "12 Angry Men." Of course, I had to see it a reel a day, but it was still impressive. (I'm not sure why they showed "The Incident.")

As for menacing performances, Lee Marvin as Liberty Valance is awfully hard to top.

• 2 weeks later...

>1999's "The Green Mile" Sam Rockwell as 'Wild Bill' Wharton and Doug >Hutchison as Percy Wetmore. two different kinds of menaces.

>

> vallo

Sam Rockwell was a creepy creature in the Green Mile wasn't he? Hannibal Lecter is menacing (in every way) in Silence of the Lambs. And Richard Widmark would make me frightened.