Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Quitting Comcast

pamela36

I'm finally unloading my ancient 100 lb television and going with a smart TV - and ditching Comcast ($249 a month at present). I'll still have Comcast internet. The only thing I can't quite figure out is how I'll still be able to access my beloved TCM. It goes beyond the movies - I love the commentary and the specials. Show me the way!

Well I have Dish and have TCM. Even having the second to last tier and temporarily adding RedZone for NFL, my bill is $100 less than yours. There is also a Flex package that includes TCM that I think is only $59.99.

If you don't want to have any sort of cable/satellite service, I'm not sure what your options are. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have to subscribe to TCM in some fashion in order to access Watch TCM.

SlingTV Orange $20

Hollywood extra $5 

Total $25 if TCM is all you care about.

Of course you should look at other options and streaming devices and such. I'm not a salesman so you'll have to browse around to configure your best combination.

Filmstruck is cheaper than that.

Choices, choices, choices...

SlingTV Orange $20

Hollywood extra $5 

Total $25 if TCM is all you care about.

Of course you should look at other options and streaming devices and such. I'm not a salesman so you'll have to browse around to configure your best combination.

Filmstruck is cheaper than that.

Choices, choices, choices...

Thanks! Well I will be able to access pretty much everything else. I haven't paid much attention to mainstream "news" for years, and aside from a couple of network sitcoms, I just don't watch that much. 

Comcast keeps showing up at my door occasionally to try and talk me into going with them, but cost isn't my main issue with Comcast.

For a time they were the "only game in town",  and when WOW(Wide Open West) moved in, I jumped at them.  Comcast(which my daughter refers to off and on as both CONcast, and ComCRAP)  offers, at least in THIS neck, very dismal customer service.  My sister in law pays more than she wishes to and can't get a "real person" whenever she calls them to explain her charges.  And no matter what "prompt" she chooses, she gets nobody to actually TALK to.  That was MY main reason for letting them go...

As TCM is included in WOW's "basic" package at no extra charge, I only pay higher because the basic only goes up to 190 channels, and there's some programming up in the 300's I like to tune into from time to time.  Plus the "basic" doesn't come with OnDemand.

Anyway, a nephew was over last night to drop some T-day leftovers for me and my wife and asked me about basically the same thing..

"Why don't you get rid of this old TV and get you a new SMART TV and start "streaming" stuff like NETFLIX and HULU and that kind of stuff that EVERYBODY ELSE is doing now?"  I mentioned that if HE'S buying, I'd consider it, but mostly because it's that I'm a LEO.

He laughed and asked, "What has THAT to do with anything?"  I told him....

"Because Leo's are LIONS.   Not SHEEP!"  :D

Sepiatone

We pulled the plug on Direct TV after decades.  Each year, they added things to the bill that mean hours of fighting over the phone to get removed.  Finally, a salesperson accused me of lying. 

We moved and kept our service and did not read the fine print that we get "free" NFL package.  We are hockey fans and the following year, paying the bill online, I finally asked, "Why do we pay so much?"

When they informed me I had been paying for NFL, I challenged them to access my account and see if a single game was watched.  (they monitor subscriber's activities for statistics). 

After several weeks of fighting, I pulled the plug and wrote 2 letters to corporate (USPS) and finally got a refund about 4 months after I left DirectV. 

Now we pay $25 per month for TCM and we have not watched the American propaganda news programs in a long time (we gave up on them years ago).  When CNN became Clinton News Network, we only read about it. 

Now we just flag TCM for any pre 1940 movie and count on You Tube for more pre code.  You Tube pre code fans will mess with the title to keep it up, like "Three Wise Girls" is "2 plus 1 wize gals", and so on.  

The Apple TV works well, though streaming issues every so often, but the savings is significant and I feel like I am not contributing to the debacle that has become news in America.  

• Like 1

I would avoid Sling. I'm about to drop them after 6 months of use. Don't know why I've waited this long. The streaming quality is horrible. Trying to watch a movie is an exercise in frustration - dropouts, buffering issues, picture quality issues. Just awful. I have a fast internet connection - 50Mbs, ethernet connected Roku3 - Hulu, Amazon Prime and CBS All Access all work perfectly for me, so it's pretty obvious Sling is the problem.

After cutting the cord from Time Warner I was eager to find a way to continue watching TCM, but Sling wasn't the answer. You'd think they would address their quality issues sooner or later - it's been widely written about since the beginning - but they don't ever do anything about it. Maybe the new pressure from Directv Now will force them to improve.

Anyway, the brand new Directv Now has TCM, so I'm going to give that a try. I tried it on my iPad this morning and the quality looks good, haven't tried it on my TV yet. Sling still has the upper hand in one way though: they have the last 7 days of movies available (most of them anyway), and Directv Now only streams TCM live. Directv Now says they will have cloud-based DVR capabilities early next year. That would be perfection if that works out, assuming their streaming quality is good (my fingers are crossed).

Directv Now costs a little more - Sling with TCM added is $25, Directv Now with TCM is $35. My own experience with Sling was like flushing money down the toilet - it just doesn't work well enough to make it worth watching. YMMV.

I subscribe to Directv's cheapest package which fortunately includes TCM. (Still have Time Warner high speed Internet...at least 3Mb/sec I think).  I'm right up there with Dialogfan and Pamela36 on only needing TCM.  Like you I have absolutely zero need for corporate media "news" outlets.  I have chosen to continue my Directv subscription though, because it has the best quality and best reliability out of all my available options.  Technically speaking it is the best available option (to me), aside from pulling up to TCM's satellite communications center and plugging directly into that. 

I have been transferred to their retention department a couple times, not enough to drive me away yet.  First was at the end of my two year introductory period.  At that time I changed the package from the middle option to the cheapest, and basically kept paying the same amount.  Next was what appeared to be IIRC a $15 bump across the board.  Again I talked retention dept down to the original price.  It is a matter of whether or not they want to keep their customers.

Pamela, $249/mo is just flat out ridiculous.  That is almost like a car payment.

• Like 1

I would avoid Sling. I'm about to drop them after 6 months of use. Don't know why I've waited this long. The streaming quality is horrible. Trying to watch a movie is an exercise in frustration - dropouts, buffering issues, picture quality issues. Just awful. I have a fast internet connection - 50Mbs, ethernet connected Roku3 - Hulu, Amazon Prime and CBS All Access all work perfectly for me, so it's pretty obvious Sling is the problem.

After cutting the cord from Time Warner I was eager to find a way to continue watching TCM, but Sling wasn't the answer. You'd think they would address their quality issues sooner or later - it's been widely written about since the beginning - but they don't ever do anything about it. Maybe the new pressure from Directv Now will force them to improve.

Anyway, the brand new Directv Now has TCM, so I'm going to give that a try. I tried it on my iPad this morning and the quality looks good, haven't tried it on my TV yet. Sling still has the upper hand in one way though: they have the last 7 days of movies available (most of them anyway), and Directv Now only streams TCM live. Directv Now says they will have cloud-based DVR capabilities early next year. That would be perfection if that works out, assuming their streaming quality is good (my fingers are crossed).

Directv Now costs a little more - Sling with TCM added is $25, Directv Now with TCM is $35. My own experience with Sling was like flushing money down the toilet - it just doesn't work well enough to make it worth watching. YMMV.

This is why I am still with Directv, in spite of all the other garbage I never use.  Keep us posted WRT any streaming issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Hollywood extra package that has TCM just added Fandor for even more indie movies and foreign films added to what I already get at no more cost. I'm satisfied with it.

You do realize you can adjust the connection speed in the settings ?

This is why I love the new technology, so many choices. If you don't like one, there's plenty others to choose from.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings