Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Old Holiday TV Shows

ElCid

It's that time of year again for old Holiday TV shows to show up.  Checked and MeTV and GetTV both have schedules of holiday related shows on their websites.

I think Cozi may also have some old ones, but can't find a holiday schedule.  Same for Antenna.

A couple of years ago I made a list of the Christmas movies and TV show episodes I have on DVD, and refer to it when I have my holiday "marathon" starting Christmas Eve.

This thread made me think of The Honeymooners episode, "Twas the Night Before Christmas".  Ralph is showing Ed that he hid Alice's present underneath the icebox.  Norton reaches in and pulls out the old, rusty icebox drip pan by mistake.  "Oh, that's a BEAUTY!!" he exclaims.  Cracks me up every time, even writing about it here!

Then Alice comes in and Norton, still not getting it, quickly hides the pan behind his back so not to spoil the surprise for her.  Finally Ralph says, exasperated, "Don't listen to him, he's a nut!"

29pf8fr.png

• Like 1

After reading about Florence Henderson's death this morning, I checked to see if A Very Brady Christmas is on Youtube. It is for the time being.

(There are also a lot of Florence Henderson Wessonality commercials, but those have nothing to do with Christmas.)

My all time favorite Christmas special:

"Christmas with the Lettermans" (1984)

With guest stars Pat Boone and Brother Theodore

Even when they were on the air, I had never actually SEEN a King Family Christmas Special until browsing around the cluttered, grungy, neglected PD basement-warehouse of Amazon Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Family-Yvonne-Luise-Sisters/dp/B006VA3Z6E/

Everything we (including the snarky Chris Elliot-era 80's-Letterman writers) kitschily associate with the name is true, but when you don't have those anymore--and corporate networks just want to push their Marketable Iconic Classics like Charlie Brown and Rankin-Bass--you start to miss them.   :)

Now, somebody's got to have that Andy Williams Christmas episode that TVLand once dug up, with John Astin and Cookie Bear.

And then of course, back in the day there were the annual Perry Como Christmas Specials.

Unfortunately however, after catching the SCTV cast poking a little fun at Perry's somewhat somnolent singing style a few decades ago, now every time I think of that smooth crooner, all I see in my mind's eye is the following...

• Like 1

Last night on an old ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW rerun the episode where cranky old BEN WEAVER has a man arrested and jailed for making moonshine was on.  The man claimed he was making the "'shine" for personal use for the holiday but Ben insisted Andy put him in jail over Andy's objections.

In an attempt to outfox Weaver, Andy arrests the man's wife and kids as "accessories" and puts them all in the same cell.  Then Aunt Bea, Ellie and others show up with  a tree, food and all the trappings and celebrate Christmas in the courthouse. 

Weaver observes all this by peeking in a cell window, and something sparks in him and he softens a bit, trying different things in order to get arrested and partake in the celebration.  After a couple of tries, Andy finally sees through it, and places Ben in a cell, but before he's put there, he opens a suitcase he brought with him and hands out presents to everyone.  On his way to the cell, Aunt Bea hands him a plate and Ellie gives him a cup of egg nog.  Quite a touching episode.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

How+The+Grinch+Stole+Christmas.png

It's sad to think KARMA, that there's kids in my family who think the JIM CARREY  mess is MUCH better than the iconic cartoon!

And, that ELF is the GREATEST Christmas movie EVER!

OY!

Last night I watched the I LOVE LUCY Christmas special (on some channel I don't remember now)  and thought it was a lot of fun.

Sepiatone

It's sad to think KARMA, that there's kids in my family who think the JIM CARREY  mess is MUCH better than the iconic cartoon!

And, that ELF is the GREATEST Christmas movie EVER!

Y'know, I can remember when we just liked A Christmas Story, back before Ted "Svengali" Turner hypnotized a generation by running it back to back for 24 hours straight once a year, for fifteen years...

And I have relatives who force me to watch "The Polar Express" annually if I come over, just because they tear up at the song.  I'm running out of tactful excuses.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings