Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RIP Florence Henderson

Sepiatone

Surprised this wasn't already here when I came in this morning.

Actress FLORENCE HENDERSON who played Carol Brady of TV's "The Brady Bunch" died Thanksgiving Day of heart failure at age 82.

It's sad news, and it saddens me more when people die on or around a holiday.  But I do remember around the time of the TV show's height of popularity that a local TV critic claimed she had, "The most beautiful eyes on television".  I couldn't help but agree.

Rest in peace, Mom. 

Sepiatone

Just read this, I've got goose bumps, what a shock. Florence Henderson was a celebrity who was so youthful in her appearance and her attitude. How sad. From all accounts, she was really as lovely as she appeared to all of us. Every so often I watch Florence Henderson's RLTV show, Cooking with Florence. She always has a guest celebrity on the show, they prepare a dish then a chef recreates an alternate healthful version of the dish. Her guests always talk about the fact that they are good friends with Florence and the list of guests have  been impressive. Meals On Wheels is an organization Ms. Henderson was involved in. She seemed so down to earth and had a wonderful sense of humor. I remember watching her on a talk show and she told a funny story about John Lindsay  (major of NY in the '70's and her brief affair with him and the ( I won't mention what) condition he gave her! she also had the ability to make good natured fun of herself as Carol Brady and the show in the Brady Bunch movie.

Very sad news, condolences to Florence Henderson's family and friends.

RIP lovely Florence Henderson

• Like 1

I was also shocked to hear of her passing. She had not been ill and I read that she even made an appearance on "Dancing With The Stars" this past Monday to cheer on Maureen McCormick.

Did anyone catch it? I know she was 82 but she seemed in good health and still looked so vibrant.

It's ironic that you have some people like Zsa Zsa Gabor who's 99 and has been in fragile health and near death for several years yet she still survives and yet Florence passes away so quickly.

It's ironic that you have some people like Zsa Zsa Gabor who's 99 and has been in fragile health and near death for several years yet she still survives and yet Florence passes away so quickly.

I think most of us would wish for the latter when our time comes.

From all accounts, she was really as lovely as she appeared to all of us. 

I'll second that notion, as I have heard this numerous times. (most recently from Mike Lookinland & Susan Olsen at ScaraconNY)

When I hear of an actor's passing, I'm always sad that only one role or aspect of their talent is mentioned or remembered.

Florence was very talented, not only as a TV actress, but as a singer & stage performer. It's not easy to command attention on a stage & mesh with others on a little TV screen. And what a down to earth, decent person.

I never "bought" her as a housewife/mother, she was just too pretty, thin & fashionable. I was then corrected by members of this board that she had several children in real life!

Maureen McCormick  was eliminated from DWTS WEEKS ago, so if Florence was there recently, it had to be just to observe the competition to the end. 

And, ....JEEZ, TIKI----

You make it appear that you think housewives/mothers CAN'T be "pretty, thin and fashionable".  I'm sure there are LOTS of actual housewife/mothers  that would take exception, no, make that UMBRAGE to that comment.  Some might even say( and cattily)---

"Speak for YOURSELF, sweetie."  ;)

I guess in retrospect, we might have thought of "The Brady Bunch" as the "Gilligan's Island" of TV family sitcoms.  And, who ever got tired of joking about all them kids in a house with NO TOILET?

But, if my stepfather was a widower instead of a divorced father, me, my brother and stepbrother and three stepsisters would probably lived together.  But as THAT never happened( only ONE stepsister lived with us for a short time) I can't speak to the "reality v unreality" of the situations surrounding the TV show.

Sepiatone

I was very sad to hear of Florence Henderson's passing late Thursday night.  From all accounts, it sounds like her death was a surprise to her friends and family as Henderson had been in good health and had just fallen ill Wednesday night.  They thought she'd bounce back.  I have also read that Henderson had had a heart valve replaced a decade or so ago.  Every time I saw her in an interview or some appearance on television, she had such vivacity and seemed like a very "lovely lady" in real life.  

I know The Brady Bunch is corny, but I don't care.  I love this show.  Sure the plots are simplistic and everything gets wrapped up in a sweet little bow at the end, but for whatever reason, I find the show charming.  I much prefer The Brady Bunch over Sherwood Schwartz's other effort, Gilligan's Island.  What I appreciate about Robert Reed and Henderson's portrayal of Mr. and Mrs. Brady is that neither parent was bumbling.  Both parents were intelligent and reasonable.  I also liked that the parents had a life outside of their children.  How many episodes feature Mr. and Mrs. Brady going to a party with friends, or going to a art auction, or what not? 

Henderson stated that she tried to get producers to give Carol Brady a job--by season 4 or so, she's got six children who more or less can take care of themselves and she has a maid.  By the Christmas movie, Carol was working in real estate.  She also insisted on Carol wearing sexy nightgowns, to demonstrate that Mike and Carol had other "things" going on aside from their children.  I liked that the parents' lives didn't revolve around their children.  Instead of seeming more robotic, like June Cleaver, Carol and Mike actually seemed like they were pretty "hip," in comparison to other TV parents at the time.  

Anyway, like others have echoed here and other places on the internet, I feel like a part of my family passed away.  I love The Brady Bunch and I really liked Henderson.  I also want to stress that she was very talented.  She got her start on Broadway (she was actually appearing in a Broadway show when cast as Carol Brady.  She wears a wig during the first season because in reality, her real hair was cut very short, hence her season 1 bubble hairdo) and was also an excellent singer.  

And... even though we don't see the toilet in the bathroom, there is an episode where you hear the toilet.  In the episode where Bobby and Peter get in a fight and divide the room in half, Bobby goes into the bathroom and flushes the toilet, just to gloat to Peter that he has the bathroom on his side. 

• Like 3

I was very sad to hear of Florence Henderson's passing late Thursday night.  From all accounts, it sounds like her death was a surprise to her friends and family as Henderson had been in good health and had just fallen ill Wednesday night.  They thought she'd bounce back.  I have also read that Henderson had had a heart valve replaced a decade or so ago.  Every time I saw her in an interview or some appearance on television, she had such vivacity and seemed like a very "lovely lady" in real life.  

I know The Brady Bunch is corny, but I don't care.  I love this show.  Sure the plots are simplistic and everything gets wrapped up in a sweet little bow at the end, but for whatever reason, I find the show charming.  I much prefer The Brady Bunch over Sherwood Schwartz's other effort, Gilligan's Island.  What I appreciate about Robert Reed and Henderson's portrayal of Mr. and Mrs. Brady is that neither parent was bumbling.  Both parents were intelligent and reasonable.  I also liked that the parents had a life outside of their children.  How many episodes feature Mr. and Mrs. Brady going to a party with friends, or going to a art auction, or what not? 

Henderson stated that she tried to get producers to give Carol Brady a job--by season 4 or so, she's got six children who more or less can take care of themselves and she has a maid.  By the Christmas movie, Carol was working in real estate.  She also insisted on Carol wearing sexy nightgowns, to demonstrate that Mike and Carol had other "things" going on aside from their children.  I liked that the parents' lives didn't revolve around their children.  Instead of seeming more robotic, like June Cleaver, Carol and Mike actually seemed like they were pretty "hip," in comparison to other TV parents at the time.  

Anyway, like others have echoed here and other places on the internet, I feel like a part of my family passed away.  I love The Brady Bunch and I really liked Henderson.  I also want to stress that she was very talented.  She got her start on Broadway (she was actually appearing in a Broadway show when cast as Carol Brady.  She wears a wig during the first season because in reality, her real hair was cut very short, hence her season 1 bubble hairdo) and was also an excellent singer.  

And... even though we don't see the toilet in the bathroom, there is an episode where you hear the toilet.  In the episode where Bobby and Peter get in a fight and divide the room in half, Bobby goes into the bathroom and flushes the toilet, just to gloat to Peter that he has the bathroom on his side. 

I always liked florence henderson as carol brady and she was a beautiful lady and in the early episodes she was hot. :)

I understand that shirley jones was offered the part before florence but turned it down.

I always liked florence henderson as carol brady and she was a beautiful lady and in the early episodes she was hot. :)

I understand that shirley jones was offered the part before florence but turned it down.

The part was also offered to Joyce Bulifant who later went on to play Marie Slaughter, Murray's wife on The Mary Tyler Moore Show.  Sherwood Schwartz originally envisioned Carol as kind of a wisecracking jokey type character, but when Ann B. Davis was cast as Alice, they decided to make Carol more of a "straight-man" for Alice.  

• Like 1

The part was also offered to Joyce Bulifant who later went on to play Marie Slaughter, Murray's wife on The Mary Tyler Moore Show.  Sherwood Schwartz originally envisioned Carol as kind of a wisecracking jokey type character, but when Ann B. Davis was cast as Alice, they decided to make Carol more of a "straight-man" for Alice.  

I note that in later seasons florence henderson became a little more a tad like that, not a lot but just enough.

schwartz sleighted robert reed by writing him out of some episodes because reed just couldn't take the gilligan's island approach. :lol:

but florence henderson was never hotter as carol brady than the episode where mike and carol go out to dinner and let greg and marcia babysit the others.

I note that in later seasons florence henderson became a little more a tad like that, not a lot but just enough.

schwartz sleighted robert reed by writing him out of some episodes because reed just couldn't take the gilligan's island approach. :lol:

but florence henderson was never hotter as carol brady than the episode where mike and carol go out to dinner and let greg and marcia babysit the others.

One of the funniest episodes is the one where Greg steals Raquel the goat, Coolidge High's mascot, rival to the Brady Bunch's Westdale High. Robert Reed directed that episode. He wasn't in the last episode where Greg's hair is orange. He thought it was ridiculous.

I always thought Florence Henderson was really pretty and made for a pretty "groovy" mom.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings