Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Visually Naughtiest Pre Code Movies

Dialogfan

Say, what's your top visually "naughtiest" pre code favorites?

Gold Diggers of 1933 is risqué 

Safety in Numbers (1930)  

Night World's early dance number with the smiling perv on the floor looking up...(Mae Clarke and Dr. Kildare).

Night Nurse with Joan Blondell and Barbara Stanwyck has its in-bed skeleton scene 

On the level, what are your favorites?

Well, visually there is Ecstasy (1993) With Hedy Lamarr in her birthday suit chasing a horse who has run off with her clothes.

I won't be posting any photos of that one.  :lol:

Yeah Gerald, I suppose I can understand your reticence about posting a photo of a then 79 year old Hedy sans her clothes!

I mean, yeah sure, the woman was gorgeous and all in her youth, but yeah, I know I wouldn't care to see her in that way when she was that age. I mean, gravity gets to us all eventually, ya know!

LOL

(...sorry Gerald, just couldn't resist makin' fun of your typo there...and yeah I know you know ECSTASY was made in 1933) ;)

• Like 1

I watched Blonde Crazy a couple of weeks ago. James Cagney and Joan Blondell -- what a dynamite couple.  Cagney's at his bad boy best, and Blondell is sexy in an innocent but sassy way.  Anyway, it featured the famous scene of her in the bathtub, and while she's in the bath, he asks her where is the money she scammed from Louis Calhern.  She says it's in her brassiere, so he picks up her silk step-ins from her boudoir and examines them admiringly and then picks up her bra, a gossamer thing, and raises his eyebrow as he takes out the cash.  Most of the film consists of him either trying to make out with her or of her putting the moves on someone for cash, with plenty of risque dialogue to move things along.  There's another great scene in a nightclub where all these dancing couples brush by their table and he eyes the derrieres of all those women in skin-tight bias cut gowns.    

• Like 1

"Baby Face" (1933) was considered provocative.  Here's a scene that was deleted by the censors.

Don't know if there's any deleted scenes of Brent's rear end or not. :P

That scene perfectly goes along with the theme of the film. Shame it was cut.

That's one thing that bugs me about pre codes. Not only this scene but, the corny ending that was tacked on for it could be played post code. Somewhere there is a full movie with this and any other scenes uncut just so you can watch the film straight through and have it make sense.

That ending where she's running back to her injured ex (or whomever, its been a while) makes no sense at all. That character would never do that.  You wonder if anyone would go through the trouble to put these films back together to be shown properly.

It is pretty convenient for Ms. Stanwyck to travel around with her own theme music that just begins anytime she starts a romantic interlude.

• Like 1

Found a couple of naughty silents.

Clara Bow in "Hula" (1927)

Clara_Bow_in_Hula.jpg?w=468

This movie is considered lost, "A Daughter of The God" (1916)   Maybe the partial nudity caused the  nitrate to spontanious combustion.

Wow the kiddies might think it's "The Little Mermaid". :wacko:

A_Daughter_of_the_Gods_-_newspaper_-_ad_

• Like 2

Safe in Hell ('31) stars Dorothy MacKail (sp?) who is aided in escaping while on the lam. She is taken to this island an installed into this sort of hotel. An hotel that seems to be occupied by men only (I think). Old men (classic DOM). As she enters, the way these ole geezers are represented as looking at her (polite for ogling) is not only creepy but does not take much imagination to see it as naughty as well.

During the montage sequence depicting the violence of Russian history near the beginning of Von Sternberg's THE SCARLET EMPRESS topless women being tortured can be seen. This is more gruesome than anything else but it only appears on screen for, at most, perhaps two or three seconds.

Still, I'm surprised that it remained in a film released in September, 1934 in the US (according to IMDB). Didn't the code start to get seriously self enforced by Hollywood in July of that year? I guess a few things were still slipping by.

ScarletEmpress14.jpg

• Like 2

A woman's a r e o l a can be briefly glimpsed during the opening titles of producer Ernst Lubitsch's DESIRE. This film was released AFTER the code was enforced - in 1936. I've always been amazed that Lubitsch got away with it, but it is behind the titles themselves. Perhaps the censors didn't see it or think the public would.

This film can be found on You Tube in a nice print, for those interested. (It's a charming comedy romance, by the way, with Marlene Dietrich and Gary Cooper, that deserves a viewing).

Safe in Hell ('31) stars Dorothy MacKail (sp?) who is aided in escaping while on the lam. She is taken to this island an installed into this sort of hotel. An hotel that seems to be occupied by men only (I think). Old men (classic DOM). As she enters, the way these ole geezers are represented as looking at her (polite for ogling) is not only creepy but does not take much imagination to see it as naughty as well.

safe_in_hell1.jpg?format=1500w

Speaking of "The Sign of the Cross" (1932), how about the way chains of flowers are inadequately draped across Elissa Landi's front and back, giving the viewer a clear look, front and back,at a virtually nude Landi in the Colisseum scene.  Also, the "Dance of Seduction" a nude Joyzelle does in the Colisseum scene (this is cut from some prints).

In the 1926 "Ben-Hur", Ramon Novarro is rear-view naked in some scenes.

Speaking of "The Sign of the Cross" (1932), how about the way chains of flowers are inadequately draped across Elissa Landi's front and back, giving the viewer a clear look, front and back,at a virtually nude Landi in the Colisseum scene.  Also, the "Dance of Seduction" a nude Joyzelle does in the Colisseum scene (this is cut from some prints).

In the 1926 "Ben-Hur", Ramon Novarro is rear-view naked in some scenes.

Yeah.  The first time I saw that movie, I went into the kitchen and poured myself a big, tall glass of MILK!

Was put in the MOOD somehow....;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Red-Headed Women 1932 with Jean Harlow.

Definitely. There's a scene of Harlow changing her top and you get a brief glimpse of her right breast. I'm really surprised the editors and producers didn't see this, I saw it the first time I saw the film. Unless they did see it and kept it in on purpose. I suppose that is also possible.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings