Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GIGI Glitch....

Sepiatone

Or, should we pronounce that "Jlitch"?    ;)

Anyway....

While watching GIGI last night, it occurred to me( or so it seemed) that in one segment, Gaston comes into Gigi's apartment, and the Grandmother takes his hat, which appeared to be SILVER in color and cane and sets them on a side table in the foyer.

He leaves upset and is handed them back and stalks out of the place.  He gets as far as his car and looks up to se Gigi looking down at him and returns to the apartment.  He lays that silver hat back on the sidetable and talks a bit with Gigi, and gets upset again and stomps out, leaving his silver hat and cane behind.

When he gets to his car, he askes his driver "Do I look upset?"  and the driver confirms he does.  He then throws his coat over the top of his car and walks off singing a song.  He walks quite a distance during this song, and when it ends, the scene quicly shifts to him going back up the stairs to Gigi's place,  WITHOUT a hat, and after he enters, has a brief talk with the Grandmother and when he leaves, he picks up his hat, which is now BROWN, and leaves again.

Now, did I MISS something?  I don't recall him ever going back to retrieve his SILVER hat!

Sepiatone

Sepiatone,

I looked at my Gigi DVD and the sequence you describe starts at about the 1 h 10 m mark.  Everything is as you say up to the point where Gaston returns to talk to Gigi's grandmother with "an important business matter to discuss" at about 1:23:48.  However, at this point Grand Mama ushers him in, we see the door slowly close, and the movie then cuts to a scene where Grand Mama Alverez is talking about the proposition to Aunt Alva, who is taking a bath.  The next time we see Gaston is at about 1:25:50 where he is arriving to formally court Gigi.  (At this point he is wearing a different outfit and does indeed have a dark brown hat and cane.)

So from the version on the DVD there is no problem with the silver hat turning into a brown hat.

Or, should we pronounce that "Jlitch"?    ;)

Anyway....

While watching GIGI last night, it occurred to me( or so it seemed) that in one segment, Gaston comes into Gigi's apartment, and the Grandmother takes his hat, which appeared to be SILVER in color and cane and sets them on a side table in the foyer.

He leaves upset and is handed them back and stalks out of the place.  He gets as far as his car and looks up to se Gigi looking down at him and returns to the apartment.  He lays that silver hat back on the sidetable and talks a bit with Gigi, and gets upset again and stomps out, leaving his silver hat and cane behind.

When he gets to his car, he askes his driver "Do I look upset?"  and the driver confirms he does.  He then throws his coat over the top of his car and walks off singing a song.  He walks quite a distance during this song, and when it ends, the scene quicly shifts to him going back up the stairs to Gigi's place,  WITHOUT a hat, and after he enters, has a brief talk with the Grandmother and when he leaves, he picks up his hat, which is now BROWN, and leaves again.

Now, did I MISS something?  I don't recall him ever going back to retrieve his SILVER hat!

Sepiatone

Could it be that he picked up the wrong hat? Have you seen THE AWFUL TRUTH?

The segment I'm referring to comes before the "bathtub scene" .  After Gaston storms off and walks a distance singing "She Is  Not Thinking Of Me"( I guess) .  He then returns hatless to apoliguze, and invites Gigi to tea.  He then leaves, picking up a BROWN hat.

Sepiatone

The segment I'm referring to comes before the "bathtub scene" .  After Gaston storms off and walks a distance singing "She Is  Not Thinking Of Me"( I guess) .  He then returns hatless to apoliguze, and invites Gigi to tea.  He then leaves, picking up a BROWN hat.

Sepiatone

Sorry but my DVD copy of Gigi does not match your recollection.  The silver hat does not appear until Gaston visits Gigi at the 1h 10m mark.  Gigi is wearing a dress that Gaston does not like.  At 1h 12m we see him leave with the hat in hand.  He goes down to the car wearing the hat and looks up at Gigi in the window.  He returns to the apartment with silver hat in hand at 1h 13m and invites Gigi to tea but Grand Mama forbids it. He has a heated discussion with Grand Mama and before he leaves we see him placing the silver hat and black cane on the entry table.  He then storms off with no hat, has the line with his driver, goes to the fountain, sings 'Gigi', goes back to the apartment where the door closes, and after the bath scene he later comes back in a brown outfit with the brown hat.  He ends up having another animated discussion with Grand Mama and leaves the apartment with the brown hat and cane at 1h 31m.

Looking from the beginning of the film there is a scene at Gigi's where Gaston is having tea with Grand Mama at 14:38 but no entrance/exits/hats are included.  There is a later scene at 33:40 where Gaston is out dining with Zsa Zsa Gabor where he sings "she is not thinking of me" (in his thoughts), but this does not involve a visit to Gigi's apartment.  The next scene at Gigi's starts at around 47:29 where Gaston visits wearing a brown outfit where they play cards and sing the "champagne" song, but Gaston does not have a hat when he arrives.  After this the action takes place at the beach and we don't see Gaston back at the apartment until the 1h 10m mark. After this sequence described above, there is no silver hat visible throughout the rest of the movie.  So it appears to me that the continuity people have done their jobs.  Thank heaven.

The movie itself is the problem, starting at the very beginning with Maurice Chevalier's ultra-creepy rendition of "Thank Heaven for Little Girls".

Not meaning to "derail"(which is OK 'cause it IS my thread)  When SNL had HUGH HEFNER as guest host, he talked a bit in the opening segment about how before he created PLAYBOY magazine, he worked for a bit as a lounge singer.  To demonstrate he still had the pipes, the band struck up, and Hugh crooned his way through "Thank Heaven For Little Girls".  ;)

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings