Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Christmas Movies

catladywdc

Welcome to the boards,  catlady.

It's been covered here a LOT.  Seems NBC owns exclusive rights to one,  or maybe both, I don't recall which.

As for THEM being the "best", that's a matter of opinion, NOT a fact  chiseled in stone.  We each of us have our favorites, and those two ARE high on MY list, but certainly not IMHO, the "best".  In fact, which one  I  might think is the "best" might be one hated the  most  by someone else.  There actually might be someone who thinks FRED CLAUS is the "best" Christmas movie!

Sepiatone

That's disappointing, can't beat movies without commercials.  Have to see if I have the DVDs, but I seem to remember watching one or both on TCM in past years.

I did use the term "arguably" in my initial post as I know tastes & perceptions vary greatly. 

NBC has exclusive rights to It's a Wonderful Life, and I think they only air it a max of three times a year during the holiday season. It has never aired on TCM and probably never will.

Miracle on 34th Street is the property of 20th Century Fox, and TCM only gets the rights to various Fox films on a sporadic basis. Miracle has aired on TCM before, but it's been a while. It aired twice in December of 2011.

• Like 2

NBC has exclusive rights to It's a Wonderful Life, and I think they only air it a max of three times a year during the holiday season. It has never aired on TCM and probably never will.

Miracle on 34th Street is the property of 20th Century Fox, and TCM only gets the rights to various Fox films on a sporadic basis. Miracle has aired on TCM before, but it's been a while. It aired twice in December of 2011.

Okay everybody!

Let's all now "save" on our computers sewhite's post up here, and so that during this year's festive season whenever we come upon this very same query posted by all the newbies out there who somehow have never noticed that NBC has owned the sole rights to broadcast that Jimmy Stewart flick for at least a couple of decades now, all we'll have to do is pull up this from our save file and post it in reply in all those threads that are sure to come this festive season!

(...it'll save a lot of keystrokes that way, ya see)

• Like 1

Dargo - your reply is pretty snarky.  I may be new to these boards but have been watching TCM for decades and was not aware of the legal technicalities of these movies . 

I don't feel I should be ridiculed for asking for this iota of information.   My first impression of the boards is not a good one.

A lot of us here enjoy an occasional bit of good natured "ribbing".   It never bothers ME too much because my brother and I, plus a lot of the guys I hung out with over the years and other family members often playfully "picked" at one another.  It helps to not have too thin a skin.  The ONLY place where I got a lot of flack about that sort of thing was on FaceBook, which is one of the reasons I no longer consort with that bunch of crybabies.

I'm pretty sure Darg meant no real ridicule,  and it's best to leave all  self consciousness at the door upon entering here. 

Sepiatone  

They're burying it, but don't miss Stan and Ollie in BABES IN TOYLAND Thursday, December 22nd @ 01:15 AM.  Maybe by watching it in the middle of the night the Bogeymen won't give you nightmares!!

I think I'll stay in bed. As noted in previous Christmas threads, that monkey/Mickey Mouse thing freaks me out.

They're burying it, but don't miss Stan and Ollie in BABES IN TOYLAND Thursday, December 22nd @ 01:15 AM.  Maybe by watching it in the middle of the night the Bogeymen won't give you nightmares!!

Ahem...As one who grew up in broadcast range of WPIX-11 NYC, the title is "March of the Wooden Soldiers" depending on which PD print one station might happen to own, and must always be watched on what we now call "Black Friday"...But in our day was National Thanksgiving Leftovers And First Christmas-Specials Day.  

I even blogged about just exactly when National Christmas-Special Day became a day for shopping stampedes (I place the historical cutoff date sometime around 1983), and included a YouTube of "March" to show the new kids how their parents observed the holiday.

In re Dargo's comments, yes he occasionally Thinks He's a Hoot, but new posters do need reminding that Paramount, RKO and NBC have since rescued us from all those cheap 80's jokes we had beaten into our heads growing up about IAWL being on "every station".  Since it obviously isn't anymore, and now, when a TV episode wants to show characters watching "cheap Christmas movies on TV", they have to use March or the Alastair Sim "Scrooge" instead.

And having grown up in "the Real-Life Bedford Falls" in upstate NY (yep, I passed the iron bridge, the main-street bank and the Bailey House every day...), I can give Wonderful Life a pass, but moving from March to the more core Christmas movies for me means going in stages--

Next, in my disk viewing, I go back to the fourth-grade memory of coming home from the last day of school before Christmas vacation, and finding WNEW-5 NYC showing the Shirley Temple The Blue Bird.  

A custom I've always tried to observe since, although some years I alternate with a rare Russian disk of that hideous 1976 Elizabeth Taylor version.

catladywdc,

Here are a couple of links that list holiday movies coming up

https://www.tvguide.com/special/holiday-guide/calendar/

http://www.christmastvschedule.com/

Unfortunately the TV Guide page only has specific time and channel information for the next 2 weeks or so, so you have to check later for movies at the end of December.

You may have seen some of the Star of the Month tribute to Natalie Wood being shown on TCM throughout the month of November.  I thought it was sad that TCM did not/could not include Miracle on 34th Street in this tribute, likely because of licensing issues.

I also agree that commercial-free is the best experience, so it is disappointing when these classics are only seen on the commercial networks.

• Like 1

Dargo - your reply is pretty snarky.  I may be new to these boards but have been watching TCM for decades and was not aware of the legal technicalities of these movies . 

I don't feel I should be ridiculed for asking for this iota of information.   My first impression of the boards is not a good one.

catladywdc, if I haven't scared you away from further participating on these board, yes, I can see how you would think my comment was "snarky", and for that I apologize.

You see, while you apparently took it as being the butt of a joke, my real intent was just to imply that your inquiry would be just the very first inquiry of this kind and of the many to come this holiday season and which we regulars see asked seemingly almost a dozen times when this time of year rolls around.

And so, please just think of yourself as being in good company in this regard, as apparently there are many many people out there who are not cognizant as to why they never see Jimmy Stewart running down the main street of Bedford Falls and yelling "Merry Christmas, you wonderful old Building and Loan" on Turner Classic Movies.

(...and yes, I agree with you...it IS a shame commercial free TCM can not present this film, and one I've cherished since the days it was in the public domain and years before NBC snapped up the sole broadcast rights for it once it was rediscovered by the American public, and so that network could then BUTCHER THE HELL OUT OF IT BY INTERRUPTING IT EVERY FREAKIN'  FIVE MINUTES WITH A BLOCK OF FREAKIN' COMMERCIALS!!!)

;)

• Like 1

I've been on the forums awhile now. I think Dargo's humor comes across like that. He probably just enjoys being dramatic. Dramatic Dargo if you will ;)

Well, actually Cris, I'm USUALLY tryin' for more a comic mode around here in the General Discussion forum.

Ya see, that "drama" thing you mentioned I usually save for when I'm over in the Off-Topic forum.

(...and where I use THAT sort of thing in efforts to help "enlighten" some of those folks over there as why some of their political beliefs are, well, SO SCREWED UP!!!) ;)

• Like 1

And last but certainly not least, we come to you, Eric ol' boy...

In re Dargo's comments, yes he occasionally Thinks He's a Hoot, but new posters do need reminding that Paramount, RKO and NBC have since rescued us from all those cheap 80's jokes we had beaten into our heads growing up about IAWL being on "every station".  

Whaddaya mean "occasionally", dude?

I ALWAYS think I'm a "hoot"!

What, never noticed all those "LOL"s I so unashamedly post at the bottom of so many of my posts around here or somethin'???

(...and btw, I thought that "hoot" expression was uttered primarily by people who live in the upper Midwest, and mostly by Minnesotans...and so seein' as how you said you were from the Upstate NY area and specifically in the actual town that Bedford Falls was patterned after, I guess my assumption about that has been incorrect all these years, huh)

;)

(...and btw, I thought that "hoot" expression was uttered primarily by people who live in the upper Midwest, and mostly by Minnesotans...and so seein' as how you said you were from the Upstate NY area and specifically in the actual town that Bedford Falls was patterned after, I guess my assumption about that has been incorrect all these years, huh)

Mom was a Lutheran, from St. Paul....Ohh, yah.   :)

And ftm, yes Seneca Falls DOES think it's the real Bedford:   http://therealbedfordfalls.com

• Like 1

Catladywdc, some of us who have been here a long time (been on the board for eight years myself) probably have a tendency to tire of seeing the same questions asked from newcomers, and the question about It's a Wonderful Life does seem to pop up every year. I truly believe Dargo didn't intend to make you the butt of his joke. He was just noting the fact that this is a frequently asked question. Welcome, and I hope you stick around!

• Like 2

Mom was a Lutheran, from St. Paul....Ohh, yah.   :)

And ftm, yes Seneca Falls DOES think it's the real Bedford:   http://therealbedfordfalls.com

Ah HA! So I was RIGHT about that whole "hoot" thing, was I?! ;)

And yeah, I now remember that it's Seneca Falls NY that has claimed the mantle of being "the real Bedford Falls".

(...and for some reason this now reminds me of the line actor Charles Halton as the bank examiner says to George Bailey, "Can I see the books now? I'd like to spend Christmas with my family in Elmira!"...for some reason, the way he says "Elmira" has always stuck with me)

In response to EricJ,  Back in the "day" 'round where I come from, Thanksgiving DAY was the unofficial "kick-off" of Christmas movies.

After the telecast of the annual J.L.Hudson parade(J.L.Hudson's was the MACY's of Detroit back then.  It's long gone, and most if not all Hudson stores have been taken over by Macy's).  WWJ-TV(now WDIV)  would follow up with the foreign short THE RED BALLOON, followed by MIRACLE ON 34th STREET, and a few other Christmas based shows.  Over the years, they added A CHRISTMAS CAROL(1951)  and IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.  All on Thanksgiving day.  Fridays would be no different than any OTHER Friday, religious type Christmas movies (KING OF KINGS etc.) would show up during prime time.

What THE RED BALLOON had to do with Christmas I'm not sure.  But, they'd show it EVERY year after the parade for the longest time!

Sepiatone

In response to EricJ,  Back in the "day" 'round where I come from, Thanksgiving DAY was the unofficial "kick-off" of Christmas movies.

After the telecast of the annual J.L.Hudson parade(J.L.Hudson's was the MACY's of Detroit back then.  It's long gone, and most if not all Hudson stores have been taken over by Macy's).  WWJ-TV(now WDIV)  would follow up with the foreign short THE RED BALLOON, followed by MIRACLE ON 34th STREET, and a few other Christmas based shows.  Over the years, they added A CHRISTMAS CAROL(1951)  and IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.  All on Thanksgiving day.  Fridays would be no different than any OTHER Friday, religious type Christmas movies (KING OF KINGS etc.) would show up during prime time.

What THE RED BALLOON had to do with Christmas I'm not sure.  But, they'd show it EVERY year after the parade for the longest time!

Thanksgiving was an excuse to show three hours of long movies or football games, so that they needed fewer employees at the station/network and the rest could get the day off.

That meant digging out the family films, and during that long slog when the turkey was in the oven, our local Boston WFXT-25 used to use that big three-hour block to show the 1962 George Pal Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm.  Christmas wasn't quite on the table yet, but long family-films were required.  

(There are two reasons I haven't gotten rid of my ancient old VCR yet, and rotating Thanksgiving viewings of Grimm is one of them--It's still one of the Holy Grails of wanted restorations we disk fans beat down Warner's door with, and the Home Theater Forum still debates on whether the three-screen Cinerama print can be restored at this point.)

On the networks, that meant putting a three/four hour "Family Classic" on the network stations in the evening for post-dinner cooldown and tryptophane-daze:  Ask someone what's  a "Thanksgiving movie", and if they don't answer "Planes, Trains & Automobiles", you can guess their age by whether they say Home Alone, E.T. or The Sound of Music.  I go back farther, and wouldn't dream of seeing "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" any OTHER day of the year.

Since Black Friday didn't exist yet (not until the Cabbage Patch Kids and Colecovision stampedes), the most important aspect of holiday commerce on Friday was to show network holiday cartoon specials, bonus Saturday-morning cartoons and other kids' matinees, with plenty of space for the Toys R Us jingle.  Maybe some UHF syndicate would have a "special presentation" of a holiday movie, like a hard-up Patrick Macnee introducing Nutcracker: the Motion Picture, or the '51 Christmas Carol without mentioning he was in it.

(Ah, good times)  ^_^

• Like 1

One of the things I like best about TCM is that they don't show those movies that are so overplayed on other stations, and give us some equally good ones that we haven't seen a hundred times.

Like:" Remember the Night"  and "A Christmas Affair."

"The Shop Around the Corner," just started if you need a Jimmy Stewart fix.  He's adorable in this.

I'm sure some of the ones on Hallmark are good but sorting out which ones would be a hard task, with enough obvious saccharine to make us all come running back here for some Dargo snark as a welcome antidote.  (He is funny!)

• Like 3

A really pleasant surprise for me was when TCM resurrected It Happened on Fifth Avenue from total obscurity a few years back. They've pretty much aired it every December since, and I always try to catch it. It's a terrific film, and it's on tomorrow night (or maybe tonight by the time you read this!).

• Like 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings