Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So Why Not Kirk Douglas, TCM?

Kirk Douglas will have his 100th birthday on December 9th. Just how many Hollywood leading men are still with us who have reached such a milestone?

Yet TCM has made Myrna Loy their SOTM. Nothing against Myrna, who was one of the greats, but COME ON, TCM!!!

I'm assuming that Myrna has already been SOTM before and, even if she hasn't, with all those MGM films of her's that the channel constantly shows, they could have given her that honour any month.

Douglas has been in a raft of films, many of them good, a few downright classics. He had three Oscars nominations, finally receiving an honourary award from the Motion Picture Academy in his 90s.

Kirk Douglas is fully deserving to be Star of the Month. Heck, they did it for Olivia de Havilland on her 100th birthday last July. So why not Kirk, especially since he is still alive to appreciate the honour? If they couldn't get him for an interview, perhaps they could have got his son, Michael, who has had a brief tribute to his Dad playing on the channel for years. If not him, perhaps some other family member.

Very surprised at TCM for not honouring Douglas this month. Boy, does he deserve it.

kirk-douglas.jpg

Paths-of-Glory-1957-Pictures.png?itok=_4

spartacus-1960-002-kirk-douglas-00m-ztm.

• Like 6

I agree, Tom. I love Myrna Loy, and she's one of my favorite Golden Era actresses. But it should have been Kirk's month. I know more than a few people don't care for him, and some around here downright hate him, for a variety of reasons. But as one of the only true superstars of Old Hollywood left, I was hoping they'd honor him.

My guess would be that financial reasons are the real culprit. Weren't a lot of Kirk's movies with Paramount and Universal?

• Like 2

I agree, Tom. I love Myrna Loy, and she's one of my favorite Golden Era actresses. But it should have been Kirk's month. I know more than a few people don't care for him, and some around here downright hate him, for a variety of reasons. But as one of the only true superstars of Old Hollywood left, I was hoping they'd honor him.

My guess would be that financial reasons are the real culprit. Weren't a lot of Kirk's movies with Paramount and Universal?

Kirk worked at a variety of studios, and TCM will frequently show films of his. Even if they couldn't secure as many films of his as they could of Loy, so what? Kirk is 100 in a few days. It should have been his month on the channel.

• Like 4

I dont get it either. He would've been the natural selection (even though he's been picked before) I guess they opted for the Backlot SOTM contest. Money talks! (It was either Myrna or Bette, surprised Bette lost!)

TCM members of the 'back lot' got a vote between Bette Davis and Loy and Loy won.   I don't know why TCM limited the choice to those two (year of the women????).     

Both Douglas and Loy have been STOM twice.

Hopefully TCM can have Douglas as SOTM in 2017.

• Like 1

TCM members of the 'back lot' got a vote between Bette Davis and Loy and Loy won.   I don't know why TCM limited the choice to those two (year of the women????).     

Both Douglas and Loy have been STOM twice.

Hopefully TCM can have Douglas as SOTM in 2017.

I never heard of this TCM back lot vote, James. You would think that in a month in which a major Hollywood leading man turned 100 the channel wouldn't have knocked him out of the running by having some contest between Loy and Davis take place then. Have your back lot vote any other time.

• Like 4

I never heard of this TCM back lot vote, James. You would think that in a month in which a major Hollywood leading man turned 100 the channel wouldn't have knocked him out of the running by having some contest between Loy and Davis take place then. Have your back lot vote any other time.

I agree.   If TCM wanted the SOTM to be decided by Back Lot members for marketing reasons that is an understandable business decision but at least let them vote for Douglas.     Again,  I assume the election had something to do with limiting the choices to two women and like the election that didn't go as planned!  

• Like 1

I agree.   If TCM wanted the SOTM to be decided by Back Lot members for marketing reasons that is an understandable business decision but at least let them vote for Douglas.     Again,  I assume the election had something to do with limiting the choices to two women and like the election that didn't go as planned!  

Are you saying TCM's programming decisions are mostly political, at least during the present time? 

It is surprising that Kirk doesn't at least merit a 24-hour tribute on his actual birthday. In fact, not one of his films will be airing on TCM on December 9. But I guess this proves TCM does not feel obligated to honor all milestone birthdays, even if the individual is still living. 

Actually, I understand young Tiffany had a little something to do with all this too, Tom.

Yep, evidently she already has some kind of veto power within the halls of TCM.

Uh-huh, when they told her it'll be Kirk Douglas' centennial birthday, she said she had never heard of "Curt Douglas" before, and so his name was dropped from consideration.

(...hey, I know once Lorna sees this, HE'S gonna find the humor in this anyway, folks)

• Like 2

TCM is waiting for Kirk Douglas to turn 200 years old in order to celebrate.

Well, at least he's half way there then.

Seriously, considering the fact that TCM is constantly having so many birthday celebrations of so many of the film greats of the past, to then pass on the 100th birthday celebration of a living legend like Kirk Douglas who is still around to actually watch some of his films play on the channel is more than a little mystifying to me.

• Like 4

Let's face it all you old TCM timers....our thoughts and concerns and desires re: what's on TCM left when Bob left.  That sums it up.  Just like the posters on the 50's topic we'll soon be posting about TCM in "the good old days" when something other than money talked...whoops isn't that what's it is all about today...look what you can buy, even up to the Presidency (on both sides). 

• Like 1

I always used to like K. Douglas, until I found out his awful past-(very long story)

& I loath idle gossip, but this & another story is fairly well-known & getting moire so as the years pass

POWERFUL ACTOR, BY NO MEANS A GOOD GUY

I always used to like K. Douglas, until I found out his awful past-(very long story)

& I loath idle gossip, but this & another story is fairly well-known & getting moire so as the years pass

POWERFUL ACTOR, BY NO MEANS A GOOD GUY

I always( and apparently naively) thought the SOTM and birthday tributes were about the individual's MOVIES, and NOT a personality contest.

TCM not only IMHO "screwed" the pooch on this one, but "gang-banged" it!

Sepiatone

I hope TCM won't forget Doris Day when she turns 100 in 2022 or 2024. (Where is her birth certificate anyway?)

her only leading man left and probably his only leading lady left....

48_zpsqy98e7ui.jpg

Doris is 94, according to IMDb. I guess that unquestionably makes Kirk and Doris, at their combined 194 years, the oldest living Hollywood screen couple today.

Would anyone know, though, if their 194 years (so far) makes them the Hollywood screen pairing of actors who lived the longest in history?

By the way, their one film together, Young Man With A Horn, is one of my favourite Douglas movies, splendidly capturing the atmosphere and feel for jazz clubs. Harry James played the horn, expertly lip synced by Kirk, his sound nothing like that of the real Bix Beiderbecke, upon whom the film is largely based, but I love the sound of James's horn in this Mike Curtiz directed production. This was one of Curtiz's last really good films.

The film's screenplay has its flaws, particularly in the film's second half. But Doris really sells it with some of her old time band warblings here. Plus the film also has the great Hoagy Carmichael (a friend of Beiderbecke's) to add authenticity. There's also the dignity of a fine character turn by Juano Hernandez as an old time horn man whom Douglas idolizes. Fortunately, this is one of the Douglas films that gets the most play on TCM.

7irs5k7pcdm77mp.jpg

• Like 2

I agree. And it wasnt much of a contest. 2 choices. And one sees their films often throughout the year. Easy on the rental bills for TCM.......

• Like 1

I hope TCM won't forget Doris Day when she turns 100 in 2022 or 2024. (Where is her birth certificate anyway?)

her only leading man left and probably his only leading lady left....

48_zpsqy98e7ui.jpg

2022. Though she will only admit to 2024! Yes, with the passing of Rod Taylor, I think he IS her only leading man left.....Kirk may have a few left from his later films (leading ladies), but not in the old Hollywood sense.

Doris is 94, according to IMDb. I guess that unquestionably makes Kirk and Doris, at their combined 194 years, the oldest living Hollywood screen couple today.

Would anyone know, though, if their 194 years (so far) makes them the Hollywood screen pairing of actors who lived the longest in history?

By the way, their one film together, Young Man With A Horn, is one of my favourite Douglas movies, splendidly capturing the atmosphere and feel for jazz clubs. Harry James played the horn, expertly lip synced by Kirk, his sound nothing like that of the real Bix Beiderbecke, upon whom the film is largely based, but I love the sound of James's horn in this Mike Curtiz directed production. This was one of Curtiz's last really good films.

The film's screenplay has its flaws, particularly in the film's second half. But Doris really sells it with some of her old time band warblings here. Plus the film also has the great Hoagy Carmichael (a friend of Beiderbecke's) to add authenticity. There's also the dignity of a fine character turn by Juano Hernandez as an old time horn man whom Douglas idolizes. Fortunately, this is one of the Douglas films that gets the most play on TCM.

7irs5k7pcdm77mp.jpg

Yes, Doris does a great singing job in this film. I own the soundtrack. Unlike Bix's life the film ends happily. She is missed in the 2nd half of the film.

I think Luise Rainer and William Powell (in The Great Ziegfield) might be ahead or close, but if Kirk and Doris hang on...........

• Like 1

I think Luise Rainer and William Powell (in The Great Ziegfield) might be ahead or close, but if Kirk and Doris hang on...........

Excellent pick, Hibi. Rainer was 104 and Powell was 91, that making it 195 years for them. Possibly they are the oldest screen pairing.

With Kirk and Doris at 194 years, though, I'm rooting for the two of them to hang on and pass them. What a horse race!

Yes, Doris does a great singing job in this film. I own the soundtrack. Unlike Bix's life the film ends happily. She is missed in the 2nd half of the film.

YMWAH also has the distinction of being one of the few films with male and female Jewish leads (Douglas and Bacall). HELLO DOLLY and THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT are others.

Excellent pick, Hibi. Rainer was 104 and Powell was 91, that making it 195 years for them. Possibly they are the oldest screen pairing.

With Kirk and Doris at 194 years, though, I'm rooting for the two of them to hang on and pass them. What a horse race!

LOL. Just a year or two more! :D

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-12-09

I just looked at the December 9th schedule more closely. The first four titles are Alice White films, then they start with Myrna Loy's films for Star of the Month. 

Alice White's birthday is August 24, not December 9. It's truly perplexing why they couldn't have bumped Alice White and put in a few MGM or Warner Brothers films featuring Kirk Douglas. It's like they didn't even try to honor him.