Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Comcast Question

newclassicfilmfan1

I have an older cable box - works fine with my flat screen tv.   About 2 weeks ago, I get messages popping up saying that I'm eligible for equipment upgrade to X1 cable box.   I just watch basic tv. and I'm not into Netflix or any other stuff this X1 cable box provides.   Yesterday, i get a letter saying that I need to upgrade by Jan. 17th or I could lose some HD channels.   My question is, can I keep my old cable box?  Will any channels work after that, and if so, will reception be okay?  I prefer to keep my old box cause I need a Tech. to come in and set up new box and I'm afraid I'll have too many problems and error messages - and remote is voice activated....I just prefer to not be frustrated by this new equipment.

I have an older cable box - works fine with my flat screen tv.   About 2 weeks ago, I get messages popping up saying that I'm eligible for equipment upgrade to X1 cable box.   I just watch basic tv. and I'm not into Netflix or any other stuff this X1 cable box provides.   Yesterday, i get a letter saying that I need to upgrade by Jan. 17th or I could lose some HD channels.   My question is, can I keep my old cable box?  Will any channels work after that, and if so, will reception be okay?  I prefer to keep my old box cause I need a Tech. to come in and set up new box and I'm afraid I'll have too many problems and error messages - and remote is voice activated....I just prefer to not be frustrated by this new equipment.

Do you use the DVR service?

I upgraded my cable box a couple of months ago. It's better in a few ways. It's smaller, but most importantly for me, it allows DVR recording on several channels at the same time. I think I've recorded 5 things while watching a sixth.

However, I don't care for the new onscreen guide. It has less options for searching through the schedule. I've also had problems with the remote being slow to respond. While it does have the voice-activation feature, I never use it. I use the old-fashioned manual buttons.

If you don't use the DVR, or subscribe to the HD channels, then I don't see why you would need to upgrade.

I don't have DVR...I have a blue ray, and an old dvd/vcr combo.....I have HD channels on flat screen tv.....I just use the tv. to watch basic tv shows....I don't do any of that fancy jazz - so I just was hoping I can keep the same cable box and not lose any channels after Jan. 17th.   I guess I don't like change too much - I'd have no idea how to hook up the new equipment and then trying to figure it out.  It would take the enjoyment of tv away and cause to much frustration and I don't have time to be home for Comcast to try and fix any problems.    Thanks for your reply.

The upgrade is more in keeping with the higher digital tiers--In our area, where it's hard to get air signal, you can't WATCH network HD affiliates, because Comcast has locked them away in their special "Digital HD" package for $99/mo. minimum.

(Instead, they continue to air the local network channels in downgraded SD form.)

Knowing Comcast, they'll probably make it impossible to keep the old one:  I used to plug my cable directly into the flatscreen QAM tuner, which allowed me to get the local channels as they should be seen, until Comcast decided I shouldn't be watching something better than their Basic service delivered, and that channels were scrambled to only be received through their cable box.

They want you to get that box that you "might" want to upgrade to digital/HD/on-demand tiers, and very likely give you the incentive to push the idea.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings