Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mr6666

Trump & International politics

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44409775

G7: Trump isolated on trade and Russia as leaders meet

Divisions between Donald Trump and the other leaders of the G7 nations have been laid bare at a summit in Canada.

The US leader made a surprise call for Russia to be readmitted to the group of top industrialised nations after its expulsion for annexing Crimea.

But German Chancellor Angela Merkel said the EU members attending the summit all agreed it should not happen.

Frictions over trade tariffs recently imposed by the Trump administration are overshadowing the summit.

Canada called Mr Trump's trade tariffs "illegal" while European Council President Donald Tusk warned that Mr Trump's stance on trade, climate change and Iran constituted a real danger.

20 hours ago, mr6666 said:

:rolleyes:

Trump hits the world stage, Day One: Come late, leave early, offend host, alienate allies

The president made quite an impression at the G-7 meeting in Canada on Friday. Saturday he departs to Singapore for his summit with Kim Jong Un.

medium_2018-06-09-a26a365c9d.jpg

AND DON"T COME BACK!!

The Daily Chase: Trump takes fresh aim at Trudeau

Noah Zivitz

Fresh off shaking hands and smiling alongside North Korea’s Kim Jong Un, U.S. President Donald Trump renewed his criticism of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. “I have a good relationship with Justin Trudeau, I really did,” Trump told reporters this morning. “Other than he had a news conference that he had because he assumed I was in an airplane and I wasn’t watching. He learned. That’s going to cost a lot of money for the people of Canada.”

Adam BestVerified account @adamcbest 2h2 hours ago

The Associated PressVerified account @AP 3h3 hours ago

BREAKING: Trump envoy Nikki Haley says US withdrawing from UN Human Rights Council, calling it 'not worthy of its name.'

Nikki Haley calls the UN Human Rights Council a “mockery.

” Mike Pompeo says it’s an “embarrassment.”

-----------------------------------------------------

The Trump admin can start criticizing other human rights efforts when Flint has clean water, Puerto Rico has power and kids are no longer in prisons.

Until then they can **** off.

(*withdraws before we get kicked out?)

• Like 1

US withdraws from UN Human Rights Council

Announcement by Ambassador Nikki Haley comes a month after body votes to probe killing of Palestinians in Gaza.

Zeid Ra'ad al-Hussein, the UN high commissioner for human rights, called the announcement by US President Donald Trump's administration "disappointing, if not really surprising".

"Given the state of human rights in today's world, the US should be stepping up, not stepping back," he added.

The EU said the move "risks undermining the role of the US as a champion and supporter of democracy on the world stage"........

The Trump administration's move also comes as it faces widespread criticism for detaining children separated from their immigrant parents at the US-Mexico border.

On Monday, al-Hussein called on Washington to halt its child separation policy.

"The thought that any state would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable," said the top UN human rights official.

Washington's withdrawal is the latest US rejection of multilateral engagement after it pulled out of the Paris climate agreement and the Iran nuclear deal.....

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/06/withdraws-human-rights-council-180619173311272.html

<_<

• Sad 1

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-australia-us-poll/australians-trust-in-u-s-sinks-to-lowest-in-over-decade-amid-trump-presidency-idUSKBN1JF1Y6

Australians' trust in U.S. sinks to lowest in over decade amid Trump presidency

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australians’ trust in the United States as a global power is at its lowest in over a decade, and they have more confidence in the leaders of China and India than they do in President Donald Trump “to do the right thing regarding world affairs”, according to survey released on Wednesday.

The telephone poll of 1,200 Australian adults commissioned by the Lowy Institute found 55 percent trusted the U.S. to “act responsibly in the world”, down six 6 percentage points from a year earlier.

It was the lowest rating since the Lowy Institute started conducting its annual poll in 2005, and showed perceptions of the United States in one of its closest Pacific allies had deteriorated since Trump was elected in November 2016.

“There’s a clear correlation between confidence in the president and trust in the country,” said Lowy research director Alex Oliver.

“When American presidents are unpopular, trust in the country falls,” she added.

Russia Hopes To Replace U.S. On U.N. Human Rights Council

....Responding to Washington’s decision, Russia said the council is meant to serve all U.N. members, not just the U.S. “The USA deliberately ignore this fact in their attempt to turn the HRC into [a] tool to promote only their interests,” the Russian Mission to the U.N. said in a Twitter post.

In addition, Russia moved to rejoin the council following Hailey and Pompeo’s announcement, The Moscow Times reported. In 2016, Russia lost its seat on the council after rights groups lobbied successfully against its candidacy....

http://www.newsweek.com/russia-hopes-replace-us-un-human-rights-council-985895

China Is Emulating Russian Political Interference

..... "Other countries and malign actors are now adapting and improving on Russia's methodology, notably including China which now runs disinformation campaigns and influence operations in Taiwan, Australia and other neighboring countries."

..........doesn't expect the Russians to stop interfering, and have in fact been "turbocharging" their efforts to divide Americans on contentious issues like race and gun control.

"So I think they will accelerate that," she said...

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/20/621963286/former-u-s-diplomat-warns-china-is-emulating-russian-political-interference?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180620

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, hamradio said:

They're not visiting here any longer? Oh my, the horror.

giphy.gif

If you took the time to watch it Packman did say that Trump and his supporters would be so stupid as not to care.

Decided to boycott Canadian products...getting my maple syrup from somewhere else.  :P

Edited by hamradio
Looks like my post required one, lol!

Trump's visit to Britain faces mass protest marches — and a giant baby blimp

Campaigners plan to ridicule the president, whose visit is deeply unpopular.

............“Moral outrage has no affect on Trump because he has no shame, he’s immune to it,” said the climate campaigner. “But he has a tremendously fragile ego so ridicule is an effective form of protest," he said.

"So we want to make sure he knows that all of Britain is looking down on him and laughing at him.”...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/trump-s-visit-britain-faces-mass-protest-marches-giant-baby-n885321

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

Decided to boycott Canadian products...getting my maple syrup from somewhere else.

You better add every other country in the world to that list too.  You obviously did not watch the video about countries deciding to boycott America.

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

You better add every other country in the world to that list too.  You obviously did not watch the video about countries deciding to boycott America.

Did my post required a silly emojo? :lol:

I have only purchased a handful of Canadian products on Ebay.  It's not the price or taxes but through the ceiling postage (shipping / handling) the reason I stopped.

If Canada wants to punish us, raise their postage. :blink:

Haven't purchased anything directly by mail order since the late 1980's which was the Canadian made CRC Disto Super Controller plus options for my Color Computer.

(bottom left, best photo I can find)

blob.png.71974ab91702991ac12fbd6522334e23.png

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

The Associated PressVerified account @AP 9h9 hours ago

BREAKING: Member states reject candidacy of U.S. evangelical to lead UN migration agency, in major snub to Trump administration.

Trump's Nominee to Head UN Migrant Agency Rejected Amid Anti-Muslim Tweets Controversy

...... U.S. nominee to head the United Nations’ migrant assistance agency was rejected Friday after member states instead chose Portugal's nominee, making it only the second time in its near-70-year history that it won't be led by an American.  

...A list of Isaacs’ controversial tweets and comments compiled by CNN include two about refugees, eight on Islam, two on climate change and three about debunked conspiracy theories.

In May 2017, he tweeted an article that said Islam is not a religion of peace and warned of Ramadan with the comment: “Muslims Fast, They Also Blast.” In November 2015, he tweeted at another user: “If Islam is a peaceful religion lets see 2 million Muslims march on Nat Mall condemning jihad, terrorism, & stand for USA." He also rejected the notion that refugees should be viewed as future assets and not liabilities in May 2016, saying: “refugees with different world views won’t be the same as other immigrants.”..

http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-nominee-un-migrant-agency-1001536?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=NewsweekTwitter

U.S. Ambassador to Estonia Resigns in Disgust After Trump Anti-Europe Rants

James Melville is the latest in a string of career diplomat resignations over Trump’s comments and policies.

".....

“A Foreign Service Officer’s DNA is programmed to support policy and we’re schooled right from the start, that if there ever comes a point where one can no longer do so, particularly if one is in a position of leadership, the honorable course is to resign. Having served under six presidents and 11 secretaries of state, I never really thought it would reach that point for me,” he wrote in the post, which was obtained by Foreign Policy.

“For the President to say the EU was ‘set up to take advantage of the United States, to attack our piggy bank,’ or that ‘NATO is as bad as NAFTA’ is not only factually wrong, but proves to me that it’s time to go,” he wrote,

citing Trump’s reported comments in recent weeks that have unnerved U.S. allies.

The post surprised several State Department officials who worked with Melville, describing him as a consummate professional who never let domestic politics impact his job. .........

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/06/29/u-s-ambassador-to-estonia-resigns-in-disgust-after-trump-anti-europe-rants-nato-european-union-diplomacy-transatlantic-alliance/

<_<

• Thanks 1