Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Repeated programming?

hbeute

I have  noticed a lot of movies being repeated within a short period of time.  I know that various themes are in play, but I think Young Frankenstein was on four maybe five times in October/September..  And as much as I love Myrna Loy, hasn't she been spotlighted?  Natalie Wood has been spotlighted three times now.

I have  noticed a lot of movies being repeated within a short period of time.  I know that various themes are in play, but I think Young Frankenstein was on four maybe five times in October/September..  And as much as I love Myrna Loy, hasn't she been spotlighted?  Natalie Wood has been spotlighted three times now.

Multiple reasons for this.   A film like Young Frankenstein cost a lot more to lease than some studio-era movie made 50 or so years ago (especially films outside the so called Turner library).    Typically these lease agreements require the station to show the film a certain number of times over a fairly short leasing period OR due to the cost the stations decides to show the films 'often' to get more bank for their buck.

Yes, Loy has been Star of the Month twice and since most of her films were made when she was under contract at MGM and are in the Turner library,  TCM shows those films a lot.    I.e. Warner Bros, MGM and RKO films are going to be shown more often than films but other studios especially Universal (TCM has a hard time with that studio),  20th Century Fox (they have their own networks) and Paramount films from an era that are not part of the library (as well as non-major studios).

So yea,  there are too many repeats and it would be great if TCM would lease films they have never leased before (especially from those non-major studios).

• Like 1

We should also keep in mind that December has more repeats than the other months. Films like A CHRISTMAS CAROL, LITTLE WOMEN, HOLIDAY AFFAIR, IT HAPPENED ON 5TH AVENUE and CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT are usually scheduled two or three times around the holidays. If TCM didn't have encore broadcasts of these special classics or stopped showing them altogether, the outcry would be greater than those who don't like repeats.

Keep in mind too that when a channel (TCM or others) negotiate for the rights to a movie they try to get as many showings as possible because that spreads the total cost over numerous runs.

For example, lets say, they Pay $100,000 for a movie. If they got four showings that would $25,000 for each one. If they got ten it would be $10,000 which is more cost affective. Often the studios won't budge on their asking price, but are willing to throw in some extra plays to seal the deal.

The downside is usually that regardless of how many runs they get, all still have to be taken within the same specific length of time so instead of a film being shown twice in a year, it might  end up being shown six times.

• Like 1

Keep in mind too that when a channel (TCM or others) negotiate for the rights to a movie they try to get as many showings as possible because that spreads the total cost over numerous runs.

For example, lets say, they Pay $100,000 for a movie. If they got four showings that would $25,000 for each one. If they got ten it would be $10,000 which is more cost affective. Often the studios won't budge on their asking price, but are willing to throw in some extra plays to seal the deal.

The downside is usually that regardless of how many runs they get, all still have to be taken within the same specific length of time so instead of a film being shown twice in a year, it might  end up being shown six times.

yup, it always comes down to $$, but that's why by DEC. the programming gets REALLY BORING!!!

:P

It should also be pointed out that one of the Young Frankenstein airings was added due to the death of Gene Wilder, in TCM's programming tribute to him.

Of course, TCM had other the option of not airing YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN and showing other Gene Wilder films for his memorial tribute. 

It seems few of you around here are cognizant of the fact that the original suggestion put forward within those closed-door TCM think tank sessions for their new snappy catchphrase was..."Let's See That Movie Again".

(...but because it was felt a shortened version of it just seemed to have that extra little zing and would be much easier for the viewing public to remember........)

• Like 3

I post the old schedules in a thread in the Off-Topic forum. I posted one today from September 2015 that was an evening of James Dean's TV work from the early to mid-50s. For some reason, I missed that night of programming. To me, it's a perfect example of the kind of stuff TCM should repeat. It would be nice to be able to have another chance to see something important we might have been missed during an earlier broadcast.

• Like 1

It was just a test to see if viewers are awake, you passed it with flying colors.

• 3 weeks later...

This has been going on all year and it has gotten worse each month.  When Olivia De Havilland was the star of the month they showed Santa Fe Trail, Robin Hood and They Died With Their Boots On more than once and sometimes more than twice.  These are not the only movie, It’s a Big Country was also shown that month and then the next month.  Then there is The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, which was shown as a salute to westerns then a few days later, was the Essential movie for that week and has been shown several times since.  When Marie Dressler was the star of the month they showed Emma 10 days after it aired.  While I know that movies will be repeated during the Holidays and I don't mind seeing them, however Meet Me in St. Louis has been shown so frequently during 2016 I can do the dialogue for all the characters.  Then their The Big Sleep, The Letter, all the 1930's and 1940's version of Little Women, Casablanca, Out of the Past, North By Northwest and many other Hitchcock movies;  I could name many, many others but I am sure other viewers already know the names.  It's not as if I don't like these movies, I do and all the ones listed are in my movie collection with many, many others.  Is there anyone at TCM who looks at the schedules?   How are they missing that so many were just aired or do they not care anymore?

I miss Robert Osborne and hope that he will return in January even if he can only do it once or twice a week.  However, I have heard Ben say that the movies shown on the night he's the host and I wonder if he is responsible to the repetitive showings?  Is there not someone if the programming department that can work with him to ensure that we have the variety that we had prior?  I don't know if Bob selects the movies shown when Tiffany hosts on Saturday, like so many others I can't stand to watch or listen to her.  She needs to take a Seminar to teach her how to appear confident and poised when you are speaking to the public and break from taking with her hands which makes her seem ridiculous and even more annoying.

I think another thing that is occurring is that no one in the TCM programming department is looking at the selections  made by all the guest hosts, guest programmers, themed movies, birthday salutes, etc.,.  I hope that they correct this in 2017, I miss the variety that we had in the past.

Welcome to the boards SierraAnne. 

I think there is still plenty of diverse programming. If you comb through the monthly schedules, you'll see diversity. 

But yes, certain times of the year-- December (holidays) and February (Oscar tributes)-- there are some titles that get (over)played.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings