Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tyrone Power as King Solomon

NipkowDisc

last nite after solomon and sheba manckiewicz said that 75% of the footage with tyrone power as king solomon had been completed before he died...

uh...where is it? I'd kinda like to see it.

manckiewicz also said that director king vidor was unhappy with yul brynner's performance as solomon. vidor thought brynner shoulda played solomon as more indecisive. I doan agree. I think brynner did the best job he could.

the whole film comes across as some sort of weak italian-american production. vidor's direction was what was lacking and I can't help think that george sanders was miscast as solomon's brother adonijah. he was obviously too old for the part.

anyway, where's all that tyrone power solomon footage? the italian production people record over it or something?  :lol:

They were both very good actors, but surely Brynner's hairpiece must have amused other moviegoers as it did me and my stepbrother when we first saw it at the show.

It WAS the first Yul Brynner movie that I ever saw, but somehow I knew he was "cue ball" bald.  Go figure.

I was going to bring it up on the "I just watched" thread, but I'll go on here...

I mentioned seeing it at the show when it came out.  I was 8 years old at the time, and although I know it's been on the tube many times since then, I never got around to watching it on TV until last night.  Nearly 60 YEARS after my FIRST time!

All I really remembered from it after all that time was the part where the "cut the baby in two" story was enacted, and the soldier's charging into the polished shields glaring in the sunlight scene with the enemy army falling like Niagra to their deaths.

Funny, the things one remembers...

Sepiatone

Actually, Brynner was not naturally bald. He shaved his head for the role as the King of Siam, liked the look and kept that look for the rest of his career (though there were a few times when he wore a hair piece, such as in Solomon).

last nite after solomon and sheba manckiewicz said that 75% of the footage with tyrone power as king solomon had been completed before he died...

uh...where is it? I'd kinda like to see it.

manckiewicz also said that director king vidor was unhappy with yul brynner's performance as solomon. vidor thought brynner shoulda played solomon as more indecisive. I doan agree. I think brynner did the best job he could.

the whole film comes across as some sort of weak italian-american production. vidor's direction was what was lacking and I can't help think that george sanders was miscast as solomon's brother adonijah. he was obviously too old for the part.

anyway, where's all that tyrone power solomon footage? the italian production people record over it or something?  :lol:

powers to pretty for solmon

I wonder what happened to all that footage with Tyrone Power. Does it still exist? It would have been nice if the studio would have done a reconstruction of the film so we could all see Ty's last appearance.

It was done with Marilyn Monroe's film "Something's Got To Give" several years ago.

I wonder what happened to all that footage with Tyrone Power. Does it still exist? It would have been nice if the studio would have done a reconstruction of the film so we could all see Ty's last appearance.

It was done with Marilyn Monroe's film "Something's Got To Give" several years ago.

Mostly they just show what remains of that MM footage, and usually when some show profiling her history and such airs.  She's one of the past Hollywood "icons" that gets regularily covered in those kind of things.  Nobody really( except in here)  talks about Tyrone Power anymore, probably because he died such a mundane death.  Maybe if he had an affair with a president or something  we'd all still be going on about him.  I dunno....

Sepiatone

The ironic thing about Power doing S&S is that for a good segment of his film.career, he hated being used in costume films and epics, feeling they they were empty spectactles with little acting opportunity. So it seems doubly sad that he died while filming the type of film that he loathed.

The ironic thing about Power doing S&S is that for a good segment of his film.career, he hated being used in costume films and epics, feeling they they were empty spectactles with little acting opportunity. So it seems doubly sad that he died while filming the type of film that he loathed.

And as compared to some of the off-the-cuff little epitaphs I'd occasionally read in that Triumph motorcycle website I also frequent.

And where after I'd read the sad and tragic story of another of my fellow motorcyclists being killed by some inattentive freakin' car driver out there on the road, somebody would post somethin' like, "Well, at least he died while doing something he loved"!

(...yeah yeah, I know...that's a morbid little thought of mine there isn't it, but for the life of me I just could never understand any "logic" behind it)

Mostly they just show what remains of that MM footage, and usually when some show profiling her history and such airs.  She's one of the past Hollywood "icons" that gets regularily covered in those kind of things.  Nobody really( except in here)  talks about Tyrone Power anymore, probably because he died such a mundane death.  Maybe if he had an affair with a president or something  we'd all still be going on about him.  I dunno....

Sepiatone

let me get this straight. Tyrone Power, one of the greatest golden age film stars right up there with errol flynn...

dies during the filiming of solomon and sheba....

and they just let the man's last film work get lost and or disposed of???

the great Tyrone Power dies from a sudden heart attack and no effort was made to save his last work???

what is this? :angry:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053290/board/thread/126162846

Maybe if he had an affair with a president or something  we'd all still be going on about him.  I dunno....

Sepiatone

Never has there been a more truthful statement. Because if Tyrone and Ike had an affair, he would have gotten much much more attention that he has gotten in recent years .  :lol:

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings