Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dark Shadows

roamcajun63

I am having trouble remembering if it was John Hurt or Roddy McDowell who starred in a Dark Shadows movie and I cannot remember the name.  BTW, Amazon.com sells a collector's edition of Dark Shadows including all the episodes from the BBC.  All 1245 episodes.

I think this movie was the pilot or inspiration for the Dark Shadows series.

Dark Shadows was a daily soap opera that aired on ABC from 1966 to 1971. There was no pilot episode, per se, nor was it based on any previous film, book, or other source material. Dan Curtis created and ran the show, and claimed that it was based on a dream that he had.

There were 2 films released with the show's cast, 1970's House of Dark Shadows and 1971's Night of Dark Shadows. Neither featured Roddy McDowall or John Hurt.

There was a short-lived revival series in 1991, an unaired pilot for another revival that never happened in 2004, and the Tim Burton directed movie starring Johnny Depp in 2012.

Roddy McDowall did appear in 1985's Fright Night, which was a vampire movie, as well as other horror films like 1967's It! and 1973's The Legend of Hell House, but with no connection to Dark Shadows.

John Hurt was in The Ghoul (1975), but no other horror films of the era.

• Like 1

I remember the movie cause the vampire, who looked like John Hurt or Roddy McDowall, stared @ the painting and said, "Josette".  He wore like a red smoking jacket and there was a party.  I wish I could remember.  Well, maybe TCM will play it again.

I remember the movie cause the vampire, who looked like John Hurt or Roddy McDowall, stared @ the painting and said, "Josette".  He wore like a red smoking jacket and there was a party.  I wish I could remember.  Well, maybe TCM will play it again.

TCM has aired House of Dark Shadows which featured Jonathan Frid as Barnabas Collins, That was the same actor from the TV series. Is that who you are thinking of?

228704_117.jpg

TCM has aired House of Dark Shadows which featured Jonathan Frid as Barnabas Collins, 

TCM has also aired the sequel, NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS. Both films were made by MGM and are in the Turner Library. The first one, HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS, is shown more often because it features Joan Bennett.

Roddy McDowall appeared in THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE.

TCM has also aired the sequel, NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS. Both films were made by MGM and are in the Turner Library. The first one, HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS, is shown more often because it features Joan Bennett.

Roddy McDowall appeared in THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE.

Legend of Hell House is on tonight on RetroPlex or RePlex or something. What a coincidence. I'm going to watch it :)

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, it's a horror anthology. There are several stories and Roddy appears in one of them.

It's not. It's one story, and one of the very best haunted house movies ever made. It is similar in plot to The Haunting, as this also features a group of paranormal researchers staying at a supposedly haunted manor to try and get proof of the supernatural. Pamela Franklin, Roddy McDowall, Gayle Hunnicutt and Clive Revill star as the investigators.

It's not. It's one story, and one of the very best haunted house movies ever made. It is similar in plot to The Haunting, as this also features a group of paranormal researchers staying at a supposedly haunted manor to try and get proof of the supernatural. Pamela Franklin, Roddy McDowall, Gayle Hunnicutt and Clive Revill star as the investigators.

Thanks Larry. I just realized which one I was thinking of-- the 1972 horror anthology TALES FROM THE CRYPT, with Joan Collins & Peter Cushing. There are five stories in it. And the sequel, THE VAULT OF HORROR, is also an anthology film.

• Like 1

Very cool! It starts at 9:30 tho and I don't get out of work until ten. But they repeat movies quite a bit on this channel, so...

I'm looking forward to it. I love Roddy!!!

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings