Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HAIRSPRAY! Live Tonight

Hibi

right after the election i was not doing well, so someone surprised me with a roku tv with netflix and everything. the original 1986(?) version is available and i watched it as therapy and damned if it did not do as good a job as zoloft.

beautiful movie and more thoughtfully composed than i had recalled (i've seen it 10+ times, but it had been years since my last viewing.)

• Like 3

I havent seen the original in a long time. I love the score (of the musical version).

and i've never seen the musical, i've only heard Hey Mama (Welcome to the Sixties) and seen the performance of the cast during the most recent Macy's Day Parade, which while catchy and energetic and really well-shot, was lip synced, but surely they'll sing live tonight, yes? at least i hope.

There is a salon in my neighborhood called "The Hair Hopper", as in "Tracy Turnblad is a hairhopper!"

Everything in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade is now pre-recorded.  It's sort of like the Today show on Christmas Day and New Year's Day, when Matt and Savannah are recorded the day before, but they pretend they are there live.

• Like 1

and i've never seen the musical, i've only heard Hey Mama (Welcome to the Sixties) and seen the performance of the cast during the most recent Macy's Day Parade, which while catchy and energetic and really well-shot, was lip synced, but surely they'll sing live tonight, yes? at least i hope.

I assume so, they are saying LIVE, but I dont know if they'll be cheating or not. A cast recording is already out. There appears to be a new song not from the Broadway version and an older song that seems to be cut.

• Like 1

ps- what a great song!

Yes, it's the big finale number at the end of the show. (I finally got the audio to work!) The film slowed down the tempo of many of the numbers and the energy just wasnt there....

LOL! That was from the show's final performance, I think? (someone's head got in the way at one point. :D) I remember they did that number on the Tonys (the year it won Best Musical some 4 or 5 years earlier) and it brought the house down. The show got KO'd like many others when the financial crisis hit and people stopped spending money. A lot of shows closed after the holiday season ended.....

He had left the show, but I think returned for the last few months at the end.

Gotta say, every time I see Ariana Grande, the more I think she looks like Audrey Hepburn!

(...and unfortunately, the more I hear her sing, I'm also reminded that her singing voice is just barely less weak than Audrey's was too) 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings