Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rock star Greg Lake (1947-2016)

jakeem

The British singer and bass guitarist Greg Lake, a member of the band King Crimson and the supergroup Emerson, Lake and Palmer, has died of cancer at the age of 69.

His death occurred nine months after former bandmate Keith Emerson -- the keyboardist of ELP -- died by suicide at the age of 71. 

"Greg's soaring voice and skill as a musician will be remembered by all who knew his music and recordings he made with ELP and King Crimson," said the surviving band member Carl Palmer in a statement. "I have fond memories of those great years we had in the 1970s and many memorable shows we performed together. Having lost Keith this year as well has made this particularly hard for all of us. As Greg sang at the end of 'Pictures at an Exhibition': 'death is life.' His music can now live forever in the hearts of all who loved him."

• Like 4

Sure, that news WAS another not needed bummer.

As a BIG ELP and early Crimson fan, it did hit me hard.  Too bad we didn't hear MORE of his fine guitar work.

Glad to have heard a lot of that great VOICE though.

Rest in peace, brother.

Sepiatone

Sure, that news WAS another not needed bummer.

As a BIG ELP and early Crimson fan, it did hit me hard.  Too bad we didn't hear MORE of his fine guitar work.

Glad to have heard a lot of that great VOICE though.

Rest in peace, brother.

Sepiatone

Yea,  the bands Lake was in had a major influence on me.  E.g.  I lived with a jazz guitar player but knew nothing about jazz and played rock.   When he heard ELP he was impressed.   This lead to us exploring music together and me becoming a jazz guitar player.

In honor of Lake I recommend everyone play Lucky Man.   It is G to D and then Am,  G, D.      Funny that the song Greg wrote as a teen ended up being their biggest single! 

• Like 1

Arguabye the Father of Progressive rock. Co-founder of both King Crimson and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. Emerson committed suicide earlier this year.

And now this only leaves Carl Palmer remaining of the self-titled group. And who according to a friend of mine who's an amateur drummer, was/is the best drummer he's ever heard.

(...and when ya hear his licks in "Karn Evil 9", it's hard to disagree with him)

Arguably the Father of Progressive rock. Co-founder of both King Crimson and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. Emerson committed suicide earlier this year.

I'd give that "father" nod to Emerson, who formed his group NICE in '67.  But definately, Lake, along with Keith, both kicked the genre into high gear.  Keith with Nice, and Lake with Crimson.

Sepiatone

I don't think Nice was ever in high gear. The group is pretty obscure.

Well, yeah.  No "top 40" AM singles or the like.  At least both ELP and YES put out radio "singles" for the exposure.  There's STILL some who never heard of, so don't remember KING CRIMSON.   Nor that former Crimson members IAN McDONALD and MICHAEL GILES put out a solo album sometime in the early '70's, just before McDonald helped form the group FOREIGNER.

Also sad, but not as sad as both Emerson and Lake being dead, was the waste of talent of CARL PALMER languishing in the dismal fiasco known as ASIA.

I did see NICE at Detroit's Grande Ballroom though, and they did get plenty FM airplay 'round here.  They did a knockout version of Dylan's "She Belongs To Me".

Sepiatone

Well, yeah.  No "top 40" AM singles or the like.  At least both ELP and YES put out radio "singles" for the exposure.  There's STILL some who never heard of, so don't remember KING CRIMSON.   Nor that former Crimson members IAN McDONALD and MICHAEL GILES put out a solo album sometime in the early '70's, just before McDonald helped form the group FOREIGNER.

Also sad, but not as sad as both Emerson and Lake being dead, was the waste of talent of CARL PALMER languishing in the dismal fiasco known as ASIA.

I did see NICE at Detroit's Grande Ballroom though, and they did get plenty FM airplay 'round here.  They did a knockout version of Dylan's "She Belongs To Me".

Sepiatone

Speaking of classical music, there's a connection between classical music and Progressive rock.

Somehow, finding that ALAN THICKE and Greg Lake were the same age kind of makes me pause.

By the way, an RIP to Thicke while I'm at it.

But, it's the same head shaking wonder I got from the realization that MARYLIN MONROE, CHUCK BERRY and my MOM, if MM and her were still alive, would also be the same age.  It strikes me odd due to how DIFFERENT from each other the three seemed to be.

Same with Alan and Greg.  Somehow though, I always thought of Thicke as much OLDER than he was.

Oh, and VAUTRIN----

I have FIVE versions of  "Pictures".

ELP,

VLADIMIR HOROWITZ,

E. POWER BIGGS

CHICAGO SYMPHONY w/FRITZ REINER

ISAO TOMITA (all electronic and pretty cool)

But yeah, this DOES call for the ELP version.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings